Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 02:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DxO Optics Pro Question ???

BuckSkin
254 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jun 09, 2017 02:32 |  #1

I have DxO Optics Pro 9.5.2 (I think)

When a RAW image is opened in DxO, it is automatically manipulated to correct for lens distortion; this is a very cool and often beneficial feature.

However, there are times when I would prefer my images to not be automatically corrected and cropped; I often blend versions of an image from more than one program and this is not possible with a DxO image, as it will no longer align with the original.

My question is; Is there some way that I can temporarily turn OFF this automatic lens distortion feature ?

I have investigated all of the menus and can not see such an option.

Thanks for reading.

Mathmans
272 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 09, 2017 06:15 |  #2

Lens correction is in menu and is called Distortion.
Ask Google (type: dxo optics pro lens correction); you'll find lots of pictures, where you can find it in DxO menus.

When you open the image, DxO does "Standard image correction" by default
-Open the image
-Uncheck Distortion
-Save custom preset like "Standard-no lens correction"

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
254 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jun 09, 2017 19:56 |  #3

Mathmans wrote in post #18374453 (external link)
Lens correction is in menu and is called Distortion.
Ask Google (type: dxo optics pro lens correction); you'll find lots of pictures, where you can find it in DxO menus.

When you open the image, DxO does "Standard image correction" by default
-Open the image
-Uncheck Distortion
-Save custom preset like "Standard-no lens correction"

Thanks ever so much ! ; you have provided the solution to my problem.
I found it right where you said to look, unchecked it, and now my DxO images are identical in proportions to images from my other programs.

Although I haven't yet investigated the possibility, if an image does require the distortion fix, maybe I can run a more finished version back through DxO with the box checked.

Mathmans
272 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 12, 2017 02:08 as a reply to  @ BuckSkin's post |  #4

I usually open file in DxO and then transfer it directly to LR or Photoshop. Haven't tried yet sent it back to DxO from LR.
Also I never tried to start with LR and then send a file to DxO. I usually send files from LR to Photoshop.
For my files I mostly use DxO because of very good noise reduction (superior to LR) and lens correction. It also works very good for me for most of my files. But if I need to process a high dynamic photo (deep shadows to raise and highlight to recover), nothing works as good as Lightroom.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
254 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jun 14, 2017 13:51 |  #5

Mathmans wrote in post #18376461 (external link)
But if I need to process a high dynamic photo (deep shadows to raise and highlight to recover), nothing works as good as Lightroom.

I will have to check that out.

I have had Lightroom for several months, but have yet to even open a photo with it; maybe I should investigate and see what tricks it can do.

After first renaming/dating with DIM, I do all of my pre-viewing, culling, metadata editing, and organization with FastStone, keyword tagging and geolocation with digiKam, RAW manipulations mostly with DxO, global editing in Picture Window Pro, and advanced editing in Elements 7, sometimes jumping into Elements 12 for a couple features that it has (but I much prefer Elements 7 over Elements 12).

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,442 views & 0 likes for this thread
DxO Optics Pro Question ???
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.