Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Jun 2017 (Sunday) 03:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MK IV Clean sensor

jeantro
45 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2012

Jun 11, 2017 03:05 |  #1

Can you always clean the sensor of the 5D MKIV with swabs ?

I read some contradictory information. Apparently since The 1DX II One must go through Canon support, in question the fragility of the sensor ?

If people have already clean the sensor of its 5D MKIV can it confirm me that it had no problem ?

http://ylphotographie.​com (external link)

sponsored links
GammyKnee
240 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by GammyKnee. (2 edits in all)

Jun 11, 2017 13:14 |  #2

I haven't had to do a full wet clean of my 5DIV sensor yet, but I carefully followed the posts about possible IDXII sensor cleanings issues prior to buying my 5DIV.

Most of the reports of the new sensors needing special treatment arose on dpreview and the Fred Miranda forums, and just as they were gaining momentum, a couple of authoritative posts seemed to put the whole thing to bed. One was from Roger Cicala himself at LensRentals, and one was from photographer Blake Cook who copied an email he'd received from Joey Miller at LensRentals.

The bottom line was this: LensRentals doesn't treat the new sensors in the 1DXII / 5DIV any differently from earlier sensors, and they haven't experienced any unusual rates of sensor damage with them. Given the huge number of bodies they have and the frequent sensor cleanings they do, that was enough to put my mind completely at rest.

Links to the posts in question (I hope POTN mods don't mind this):
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/40703​93 (external link)
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/5855954​6 (external link)

If the links have to be removed, just Google for "roger cicala clean sensor 1dxII" and follow the first few links.

Formerly Beanie's Dad (account lost in forum update)
Gear: EOS R + R6, assorted lenses, Yongnuo flash

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,157 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 11, 2017 13:56 |  #3

The links are fine, thanks for posting them.
I haven't done it to my 5D4 yet, but would have just rolled up sleeves and gotten busy if I neeed to,. I had not read any of this.

Glad to see Roger etc. shedding some light on the subject.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jeantro
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by jeantro. (2 edits in all)

Jun 11, 2017 14:15 |  #4

GammyKnee wrote in post #18376016 (external link)
I haven't had to do a full wet clean of my 5DIV sensor yet, but I carefully followed the posts about possible IDXII sensor cleanings issues prior to buying my 5DIV.

Most of the reports of the new sensors needing special treatment arose on dpreview and the Fred Miranda forums, and just as they were gaining momentum, a couple of authoritative posts seemed to put the whole thing to bed. One was from Roger Cicala himself at LensRentals, and one was from photographer Blake Cook who copied an email he'd received from Joey Miller at LensRentals.

The bottom line was this: LensRentals doesn't treat the new sensors in the 1DII / 5DIV any differently from earlier sensors, and haven't experienced any unusual rates of sensor damage with them. Given the huge number of bodies they have and the frequent sensor cleanings they do, that was enough to put my mind completely at rest.

Links to the posts in question (I hope POTN mods don't mind this):
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/40703​93 (external link)
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/5855954​6 (external link)

If the links have to be removed, just Google for "roger cicala clean sensor 1dxII" and follow the first few links.

for this moment after 10 month I have not yet clean the sensor I cross my finger.

Thanks GammyKnee for these links, they are very interesting. So after reading I can continue to clean the sensor when I need it with my swabs as for the sensor of my 5D MKII. Apparently it's a rumor I have read. I will be happy because the center Canon and away from home and I do not want to send it by a carrier

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,173 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jun 11, 2017 19:30 |  #5

There was a time the 5d2 seemed to be easily damaged from cleanings due to an inferior coating, then it all quieted down, I assume the same situation here. Not sure if Canon changed something in manufacturing or not, but they remained quiet on the topic.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

jeantro
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 13, 2017 10:17 |  #6

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18376237 (external link)
There was a time the 5d2 seemed to be easily damaged from cleanings due to an inferior coating, then it all quieted down, I assume the same situation here. Not sure if Canon changed something in manufacturing or not, but they remained quiet on the topic.

Actually it is strange that Canon does not intervene

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,173 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 15, 2017 05:46 |  #7

Not really... If they respond in about any way, they imply liability and all the costs involved therein.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

3,386 views & 1 like for this thread
5D MK IV Clean sensor
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.