Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 13 Jun 2017 (Tuesday) 22:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red-Shafted Northern Flicker @ Medicine Rocks in Montana

Tweet
337 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 13, 2017 22:23 |  #1

I parked by him/her by accident and had a 50mm when it flew. I haven't been taking photos for a few years so go easy!

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=_8Uk4QlFMm4

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4279/34452516284_21de9b0b4e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Uus9​Ms  (external link) Red-Shafted Northern Flicker (external link) by Paul Tweten (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
Tweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 16, 2017 10:51 |  #2

No one really cares! I guess this site isn't the feel good back patting happy fest I remember it to be. Oh well, carry on

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,674 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 16, 2017 11:15 |  #3

Tweet wrote in post #18379884 (external link)
No one really cares! I guess this site isn't the feel good back patting happy fest I remember it to be. Oh well, carry on

Why complain? Your flicker got two Likes. Many images get zero. I don't know how long you were gone, but now that Likes are available, they partly replace the strings of bland and repetitious "Awesome shot" posts that used to appear.

A lesson that made an impression on me in childhood was "Don't fish for compliments." I still agree with the principle.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Tweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 16, 2017 15:02 |  #4

Surely you can see the sarcasm that I am so blatantly slathering on? I haven't posted for 5 years or so, but I remember it more of a thing where you would post an image and people would critique and in turn you would critique those people's work. It almost sounds like I am describing a photography forum or something.

If posting a picture and asking what people think is "begging for compliments" then everyone on here is a bunch of needy beggers apparently because I was under the impression that that was the whole point. Maybe it's just that a new thread is reserved for the super pros and my mediocre shots don't qualify. I shal retire to the "post your best so and so shot" forum if that is the case.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,674 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 16, 2017 16:14 |  #5

Tweet wrote in post #18380059 (external link)
Surely you can see the sarcasm that I am so blatantly slathering on? I haven't posted for 5 years or so, but I remember it more of a thing where you would post an image and people would critique and in turn you would critique those people's work.

Oh, I saw the sarcasm, all right. I see it also in your second post.

If you want genuine critique, as opposed to a "feel good back patting happy fest," members will oblige you at the critique forum. It's over here.

If posting a picture and asking what people think is "begging for compliments" then everyone on here is a bunch of needy beggers apparently because I was under the impression that that was the whole point.

Well, you didn't ask what people think. My impression of the whole point is different. People post for various reasons.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,158 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 19, 2017 17:24 |  #6

This thread is much slower during the summer. If you want to see more likes and comments, post later this fall! The forum has a critique section if that is what you seek. Most people will not offer advise in this part of the forum unless you ask. If I was to critique, I would say just the one shot of the bird closest to the tree would be enough, and clone out the distracting elements, the black and white car, or whatever that object is!
Being from the East Coast, I have never seen the Red shafted variety. It's a very pretty bird.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

sponsored links

1,302 views & 2 likes for this thread
Red-Shafted Northern Flicker @ Medicine Rocks in Montana
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.