Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Jun 2017 (Tuesday) 11:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting the Green Out of Skintones

DThriller
Goldmember
2,015 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 13, 2017 11:24 |  #1

I have a tendency to see too much green in skintones so Im putting this up here to see if others think the skin in this image look bad and how I can fix it.

Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 13, 2017 13:39 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

They look very natural to me.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 13, 2017 13:57 |  #3

Looks fine to me too. The light filtering through the foliage will have a little green to it; that's what we expect to see and it doesn't look bad.

Did you use a gray card or other reference? A colorchecker, if you want to get precise. But, precise color isn't always flattering. Sometimes you want to warm it up a bit for inviting, happy family shots, or cool it down for certain types of cinematic shots.

If you wanna get mathematical about it, you could use a technique called "skin tone by the numbers," in which you individually adjust the RGB curves to force a person's skin tone to be an exact color. But, you first have to know what color their skin actually is, before using this technique to change their skin to that color. Different ethnicities make everyone's skin a little different, but you could stick to a certain archetype and get pretty close (and natural-looking).

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Alveric.

Jun 13, 2017 14:04 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Even across members of the same ethnicity the skin tones are highly varied. There's no 'standard white', nor is there a Pantone number for 'Caucasian'.

Like nathancarter said, if you really want to tinker, you'll have to do it individually and I say as local adjustments. Using a grey card or custom WB is gonna mess up the greenery, turning it into a different –unnatural– colour.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

bob_r
Goldmember
2,426 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 13, 2017 14:05 |  #5

DThriller wrote in post #18377457 (external link)
I have a tendency to see too much green in skintones so Im putting this up here to see if others think the skin in this image look bad and how I can fix it.

Thanks

If you use Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom, you can adjust the WB by selecting the WB eyedropper tool and clicking on something white in the image. Not everything that appears white is truly white, but it should get you close then you can tweak the settings to suit your taste.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

Monkey ­ moss
983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 13, 2017 14:21 |  #6

Hi, I have some WB issues when I take photos of my kids. My daughter has a yellow/olive skin shade and in contrast my son is a fair bit whiter. You wouldn't think it from looking at them but it really stands out in some pictures, my daughter sometimes looks a little green!

The way I get round it is, some pics I just find a middle ground; for those pics I really like and am confident they'll get a big slot in our next photobook, I normally adjust the WB for the boy, and then use a brush to locally adjust the WB (and sometimes lift exposure) of my daughters face. Using raw and lightroom.

It's fairly quick and makes a massive difference, to me anyway, not sure many others really notice!! :lol:

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
My Flickr (external link)

Monkey ­ moss
983 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Monkey moss with reason 'Correct typo'.

Jun 13, 2017 14:47 |  #7

I should add that my post doesn't necessarily 'get the green out of skintones'. I too would love to know if there is some global or local editing that could be done to help with this.

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
My Flickr (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,306 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 13, 2017 15:16 |  #8

Find me one client that would have a problem with this picture.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 13, 2017 15:41 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Monkey moss wrote in post #18377654 (external link)
I should add that my post doesn't necessarily 'get the green out of skintones'. I too would love to know if there is some global or local editing that could be done to help with this.

Not saying is the case with you, but it'd still be good to pause a moment and ponder whether the green isn't 'in your eyes'. I've noticed that users of Lightroom tend to find anything that's not rosy/magenta 'green', due probably to said program's strong leaning towards too much magenta in terms of skin tones and white balances.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 13, 2017 16:29 |  #10

texkam wrote in post #18377672 (external link)
Find me one client that would have a problem with this picture.

While the client might love this picture, it's our duty as professionals and/or artists to continually improve our craft and skill.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Qbx
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2017 02:05 |  #11

Carry a gray card and have one subject flash it for a calibration shot. Then you can adjust your color balance to your heart's content using Photoshop.

-- Image Editing OK --

Amadauss
667 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 14, 2017 19:03 |  #12

Curious why you had the iso up so high? Skin looks ok, I see some noise on the faces that you could have probably done without.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,159 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2017 19:19 |  #13

use the slider in LR and turn the green down.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

ThreeHounds
837 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 14, 2017 22:36 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #14

As stated, people standing in the filtered light of foliage will pick up some green. In your example, I only see a scoche of green in the shadows on the arms of the woman on the left. Easily fixed with the temp/tint sliders with the adjustment brush in Camera Raw or Lightroom.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,381 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 14, 2017 23:59 |  #15

If you adjust the magenta/green Tint slider by 2-4 points (more than that and everyone'll look drunk), it should balance out what you're seeing. As others have mentioned, what you're getting is color cast from all of the foliage there.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

2,733 views & 2 likes for this thread
Getting the Green Out of Skintones
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.