Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 31 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 14:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: |-Lost Files On Your Card?-| ::Click Here::

Masa ­ Yume
36 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 18, 2015 16:36 as a reply to  @ post 12688751 |  #76

I too purchased File Scavanager and think I've gotten my money back several times over. It has recovered content from crashed drives, reformatted memory cards, etc.

One quirk I've noticed though is that Canon Raw (.CR2) files recovered from a formatted card show up with a .TIF extension. The file size is about right (21MB), and LightRoom seeems to be able to recover them, but it does seem a bit weird that the extension is off. Maybe it's guessing an extension in these cases?

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 18, 2015 19:22 |  #77

Way back when, Canon's "Raw" format was TIFF. Perhaps it retains much of the header structure from those days.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Sublimejoe
292 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 14, 2015 07:58 |  #78

I will be trying out as many of these as need be when I get back home. Shot the first half of a wedding on my card and only 195 photos are on the card. It looks like the last file that was saved is corrupt, I can only see half of the photo no matter where I view it. From speaking with some people it sounds like that one corrupt file may be preventing me from seeing the rest.

Here is my thread explaining what happened and how:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1447872

If anyone else can offer any help at all I will love you forever!

http://www.ShootJoeC.c​om (external link)
http://blog.shootjoec.​com (external link)

Zoobie
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 01, 2016 09:11 |  #79

Read through all the posts and tried several programs......perhaps there is a newer program out that might help.

I reformatted my Sandisk and used the card for more images.......RAW format...and so far the programs for recovery are only finding the new images......anyone know of a program that might recover images from previous format?

Thanks for any help!!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,089 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 01, 2016 09:35 |  #80

Zoobie wrote in post #18025791 (external link)
I reformatted my Sandisk and used the card for more images.......RAW format...and so far the programs for recovery are only finding the new images......anyone know of a program that might recover images from previous format?

Thanks for any help!!

The action of reusing the card should probably not have been done because the possibility of an over write situation is high making some images unrecoverable.

Zoobie
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 01, 2016 10:06 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #81

I was afraid of that....:(
Thanks for your response!

virsago_mk2
581 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 21, 2016 10:10 |  #82

Avira Unerase Personal is also a good & lightweight data recovery software, moreover it's free AFAIK.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 31, 2016 15:18 |  #83

Hopefully I am posting in the right spot..
Have Canon 6D, used a Lexar Pro 1000x 16gb card while in Florida this past week. Shot pics, reviewed them on camera...looked great. Drive home to VB, turn on camera..Bamm..Cannot read card.
Have downloaded most of the links here, have tried the tape on the write lock slot on side of card....nada.
Windows says the directory name is invalid.
I have gotten it to come up and say the card needs to be formatted.
Tried that with windows and SDformatter. No luck. Says it cannot format.
Have gone through CMD to release or clear the write protect and in DOS it says its clear....But try it in windows and it says still write protected.
Run everything as Administrator...No luck.
Tried ZAR-X, Rescue Pro, DDR Memory Card Recovery etc.
Just cant get past the write protect issue to try anything else.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
:oops:

Bill (external link)
Flickr (external link) My Gear
http://www.facebook.co​m …y/1428819857394​49?ref=sgm (external link)

Gregsiem
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 14, 2017 17:05 |  #84

I needed to recover files from a CF card for a Canon 7D Mk II that I had prematurely formatted.

Image Rescue 5 and Recuva all managed the jpg's, but not the CR2
PhotoRec successfully recovered everything.

Dcoplin
Hatchling
3 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2018
Post edited 2 months ago by Dcoplin.

Jun 06, 2018 23:56 |  #85

I did not loose or delete files but can’t open them, on my camera it comes up with a ? But I see the metadata, it’s a raw canon file any ideas? Canon told me I used a larger sd card than the size recommend and that is why. These are of the bride with her family at her wedding so if I can’t open I am gonna have to photoshop something
HELP Dana
Dear Dana Coplin,

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. My name is Mariah and I'd be happy to assist you. I understand you are unable to view or edit the last 30 CR2 images out of the 350 images.

Based on the information provided, it sounds like the memory card had issue writing the data to the memory card. Can you please confirm the following in your response to this email to further isolate the issue.

1. What kind of memory card did you use? It is recommended to use between a Class 6 to 10 memory card with the minimum writing speed of 90 MB/s (size 16 GB and higher). micro SD HC 10 128GB

2. Did you format the memory card in-camera before use (note formatting the card will erase all previous data recorded on the memory card)? yes

3. To confirm, you are unable to view the last 30 images in-camera upon review? yes, unable to view they come up as a "?"

4. You mentioned you exported the images to your Mac computer, did you use Canon EOS Utility or a card reader to transfer the images? I did use the card slot on my iMac and tried by connecting my camera to the computer

5. Once the images were on your computer, you also mentioned you opened the images using Canon and Adobe editing software. Can you confirm the version of Canon Digital Photo Professional software you currently are running? 4.8.30.0

We look forward to your response.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Mariah
Technical Support Representative

Dear Dana Coplin,

Thank you for your reply.

It can use the card that you have inserted, but does not format the data on the card above 32GB and this is possibly where the corrupt files were stored.

Try using a card within the limitations of this camera and format the card before using it.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Trevis
Technical Support Representative

sponsored links

116,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
|-Lost Files On Your Card?-| ::Click Here::
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.