Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 Jun 2017 (Monday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help? Trying to Get My Grade & Style

Michael ­ Frymus
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited over 2 years ago by Michael Frymus. (3 edits in all)

Jun 12, 2017 14:10 |  #1

Hey guys!
I’m getting into travel photography. Here to promote travel, living your life to the fullest, and inspiring others to escape the 9-5. I've done photography for many years on and off, but I'm here trying to get your advice so I can get serious!

Type of photography I will be doing:
I will be in most of my photos “modeling” one way or another, rather than just showing off the location or landscape. I want to show my life as I travel and participate in activities but, there will be a times when I can’t or do not want to be in the photos, such as landscapes.

I am a nature person, I love camping and the outdoors. I will try to feature the nature as much of that as possible but, a lot of traveling and sightseeing is done in cities so, it’s going to be a mix of everything.

My Grading Style:
I know the style I want to implement, but I can't get the grading look in my photos!
I use lightroom & photoshop but I do not have or use any LUTS as I can't seem to find what fits my needs. I have listed a few examples below. I would love to hear your input on how I could achieve similar looks. From taking the photos to grading them.

1) Jacob
https://www.instagram.​com/jacob/?hl=en (external link)
I love this because of the use of colors. Each one has so much colour that it just pops. If you are scrolling through Instagram these photos will just pop out at you. There is a lot of color depth with the orange and teals.

Most of these look as if they were taken during the sunset/sunrise. But others have been taken in clear blue skies. Even those that have overcast and nearly blown out skies still have lots of bright colors in them.

How would I go with grading such pictures?
There doesn’t seem to be a single type of grade as each photo is different. It appears the saturation has been pushed high.

2) Bejamin
https://www.instagram.​com/bejamin/ (external link)
The colors here are awesome too! The photos have that creamy look, and have that minimalism look.
The colors are not as vibrant, and there isn’t as much contrast, but the photos still stand out a lot.

How are the photos so creamy looking? Its so nice! (Even though that arent long exposures)

3) Reneeroaming
https://www.instagram.​com/reneeroaming/ (external link)
With this one, I like the grade, but I love her nature photos even more.
There will be times when instead of being in a city or somewhere where there is lots of color, I would be out camping or in the outdoors. I would like to try to capture photos like these but, implement the grades like those above.

I've attached 2 sample photos of mine. Looking at them, they dont "pop" as much as I would like.
Not enough saturation? More contrast? What could I do?
How do I get that grade as those examples above -- Not only in these two photos I linked, but in general
**These were taken on my phone in RAW so the quality isnt the best

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Michael Frymus
Travel Photographer || Filmmaker || Vlogger
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/michaelfrymus (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 12, 2017 14:49 |  #2

What gear are you using? Cell phones are great, but I think you'd be well served with full frame camera, decent wide glass, and a good tripod.

If I were shooting that first photo, I'd be using a lens wide enough to get the top of the waterfall in the frame, and f/8-16 and HFD to get everything in the frame in sharp focus. On top of that, a shutter speed of at least 3 to 6 seconds would greatly enhance the 'dreamy' look of the waterfall. To my tastes, it is also a bit underexposed.

I like the second one as is.

plantastic
341 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 13, 2017 13:51 |  #3

All of the "mentors" that you linked to are talented at post processing. Which usually implies that they are starting with large raw files. Which usually means they are not using their phones. But, I could be wrong.

With very dramatic and attention grabbing imagery, there are many ingredients: equipment, artistic vision, timing, weather, post processing, due diligence of being in the right place at the right time, etc.

So, ultimately, it is a culmination of not just "being into photography" for years, but being "serious about photography" for years.

Trying...failing...rea​ding....trying again...failing again...reading more...trying again, reading more, trying again, etc. This is the path to success. When the subjects of your imagery are destination places, the effort to get out there every morning or every night, is what usually will weed out those that are "into photography", and those that are "serious about photography".

So, look not for a short cut, but stick to the path and hold tight your belief in your vision, and ultimately you will achieve what you work for.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2017 02:02 |  #4

You might want to add some variety and have some coming this way. It get's a little monotonous seeing your back in every shot. OK you only showed 2 shots; but still ...

-- Image Editing OK --

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jun 14, 2017 03:07 |  #5

Qbx wrote in post #18378033 (external link)
You might want to add some variety and have some coming this way. It get's a little monotonous seeing your back in every shot. OK you only showed 2 shots; but still ...

wow gez. I only linked you two photos. And those have been the ONLY photos I ever took of myself facing backwards. Thats not the point here either

Michael Frymus

Acetoolguy
397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 15, 2017 04:44 |  #6

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18378048 (external link)
wow gez. I only linked you two photos. And those have been the ONLY photos I ever took of myself facing backwards. Thats not the point here either

The point is, you asked for comments. You don't get to pick them.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,370 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 15, 2017 05:21 |  #7

Michael
I looked at the first link you have up and much of his work is done 1) in the twilight hours when colors POP more against the darker or more colorful sunrise/sunset sky and 2) Some of his images also appear to be shot towards the sun so the light's brightness washes the image a bit. You can see the image getting brighter and over exposed nearest the edge where the sun is just outside of the frame.

I have not looked at the other links yet.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jun 15, 2017 10:59 |  #8

Acetoolguy wrote in post #18378875 (external link)
The point is, you asked for comments. You don't get to pick them.

I'm asking about grading tips, and not the about the way I'm posing in these two photos

Michael Frymus

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 15, 2017 11:23 |  #9

Their photos are well processed.Most of the images appear to be near sunrise or sunset, BUT I'd guess it's more likely the case in some of the images that they've added to the images in post.

Comments about your posing are valid for 2 reasons:
1) If your face were in the images, I think we'd see either flat or harsh lighting. Not the flattering light we see in the examples refer to.

2) This is the critique forum. That opens you up to all critique. Your title asked for help including your style. Composition and subject choice is part of style.

If you want post processing help, there's a forum for that.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,836 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 15, 2017 11:33 |  #10

Have you also asked the three photographers in your examples how they got those images? The rest of us can only speculate about what they did.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 15, 2017 14:44 |  #11

What I am noticing in the first couple links is solid photography (exposure, quality of light) which is the starting point you need. This can be achieved with a modern phone camera (better to have the big guns but not necessary for Instagram). The images also look to have solid post processing work (I'm only looking at thumbnails to get a sense of grading).

I notice that they both have fairly restricted color palettes. The first one is especially leaning towards complimentary colors. The second is going for a much more muted look.

LUTs are fine, but unlikely to just get you results like these because results that "work" typically require hand tuning. Once you have a given scene dialed in, a LUT can work and it might get you close. At least this is my experience.

If you ask for feedback, take what is useful and ignore the rest. :). If you do find something useful, thank the person who helped you or like their post. In that way you encourage what you want more of. Complaining generally encourages more of what you don't want :).

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 15, 2017 15:10 |  #12

I'm answering from my tablet, so I don't have the tools I would prefer (Capture One or PS), so I wouldn't call these sophisticated edits :). But they might be enough to move the conversation in a productive direction.

Is this going in the direction you are interested in?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 15, 2017 22:07 |  #13

Oh, this could be fun. Do we still require Image Editing to be on? Here are two quick edits... What's lacking are not having the RAW files and, honestly, relatively boring compositions.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 15, 2017 22:24 |  #14

Two more variants. I'm not sure how obvious the differences will be (they don't seem subtle to me, but...).

These are the same as before, but with a quick run through a very primitive color grading tool (as in, "old school movie film color grading toggle controls" like the predigital days). But, hey, it works.

I would be very interested to hear what you think, Michael Frymus (OP). Specifically, looking at the variants we have created, which ones do you like or dislike and, as much as you can verbalize, what specifically do you like or dislike about them. This kind of feedback will make it much easier to get very specific with the suggestions we can make about post processing.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

C&C always welcomed...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,845 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 16, 2017 07:17 |  #15

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18378048 (external link)

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18379049 (external link)
I'm asking about grading tips, and not the about the way I'm posing in these two photos

this is posted at the top of the Critique Corner forum main page, and under the main list of forums:

Critique Corner
FORUMS ➔ Photography Talk by Genre
By posting your photos here you are specifically requesting comments, advice and critique of value and merits of both photos and the photographer..

POTN as a whole allows discussions to go further "off track" that what people might expect. It might take some getting use to but it has worked well as far as I am concerned or care. If you don't like the direction a thread is going it seems to be best to just ignore that line of discussion. fwiw.

anyway, hard to give specifics since the two examples you posted are pretty different, and unless I missed it you didn't list your editing software.

Color correction is a huge topic. You might want to look on lynda.com for good tutorials, stuff on youtube may or may not be worth your time and can potentially send you down the wrong path.

knowing the difference between global corrections and specific corrections to certain tones is probably an important starting point.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

5,727 views & 11 likes for this thread
Help? Trying to Get My Grade & Style
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.