Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Jun 18, 2017 08:26 |  #511

David Arbogast wrote in post #18380984 (external link)
A few months back I had the great pleasure of receving a request from one of my former employers, HNTB Architecture, requesting my photography services for their newly constructed downtown Atlanta offices. HNTB is a wonderful company that gave me incredible opportunities as a designer (I led the interior architecture design of big projects like the Denver Broncos Stadium Clubs, the downtown Kansas City Public Library, Michigan State University stadium clubs and suites, and many many more incredible design opportunities), so I was thrilled to work again with a former co-worker now leading the interiors team for them. I don't think they do any architecture in their Atlanta offices - think it's all engineering (highways, bridges, airports, etc.). Anyway, thought I'd share some of the shots I took for them.

Unfortunately the day turned out to be gloomy and overcast, so didn't get much to work with in the window views. Except for the Laowa 12mm, I used a CPL on every shot to remove glare. In some instance a shot was taken to remove glare from the flooring, and another taken with the CPL rotated to remove glare from wall finishes. Multiple brackets were taken at 1EV apart, along with some light painting. The light painting and exposure brackets were all blended together via Lumenzia.

One gear note: the EF 24-70mm f/4L IS made my life extra painful with terrible flaring from the light fixtures...gave me all the motivation I needed to sell that thing as soon as I finished up this project!

EF 24-70mm f/4L IS:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 25mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

Laowa 12mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

EF 24-70mm f/4L IS:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 18mm:

Batis 25mm:

Batis 18mm:

Awesome stuff. Very clean and I like how you used different lenses but made the pictures look very similar in style. Fantastic job

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
rcarlton
590 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by rcarlton.

Jun 18, 2017 08:26 |  #512

snip

Batis 18mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 25mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 18mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

Beautiful pictures. It may be just me, but that place looks sterile and soulless. I sure would not want to work there.

Sony α7rii, α6500, Metabones IV, Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8, FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM, FE 50mm f/1.8, EF 70-200L II IS USM f2.8, EF 100mm 1:2.8L IS USM Macro

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 18, 2017 08:46 |  #513

Fantastic work David! You killed it with the compositions and exposure blending.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,078 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by David Arbogast. (7 edits in all)

Jun 18, 2017 09:07 |  #514

xpfloyd wrote in post #18381024 (external link)
Every shot here is publication worthy, superb

Thanks Eddie, that is very encouraging.

Rayfo wrote in post #18381087 (external link)
Masterful, David, masterful.

(And the co-worker who took over from you has done a good job as well! Not as good as you would have done obviously;-)a - but still very acceptable.)

Thanks so much Rayfo. :) I do need to clarify that I was never a department or project manager/office supervisor as my former coworker is. I never was or aspired to be anything other than a design lead.

navydoc wrote in post #18381091 (external link)
Beautiful spaces beautifully photographed David. At first glance, I wondered why you posted two identical photos and then realized that in the 1st, it showed a conference room that was closed off with privacy screening and the 2nd image with the conference room exposed. Amazing, thanks for sharing your work...and the office workplace.

Thanks Gene. I wanted to make the two nearly identical images appear nearly identical, so loaded up the closed conference wall image as a layer and masked off everything but the glass walls and floor reflections.

mystik610 wrote in post #18381108 (external link)
VERY clean. Publication caliber stuff David. Nice!

Thank you very much Carlo, you are very kind.

pyrospawn wrote in post #18381143 (external link)
Your architectural and interior shots are awesome. Love these. I tried my hand at some and they just look horrible lol.

Thank you very much Anh. :)

davidfarina wrote in post #18381153 (external link)
Awesome stuff. Very clean and I like how you used different lenses but made the pictures look very similar in style. Fantastic job

Thanks David; really appreciate that! It was a tedious chore to clean up a lot of the differences both between and within each of the images. The hardest task, in the effort for homogeneousness, was cleaning up the disparate white balance of the interior lighting and exterior daylight. I got it as clean as I could with localized WB adjustments and then used an HSL adjustment layer to wipe away the last remaining traces of blue light.

digital_AM wrote in post #18381165 (external link)
Fantastic work David! You killed it with the compositions and exposure blending.

Thanks much Alfredo! If it didn't screw up my taxes so bad, I might be tempted to make an effort to do more of this stuff, as I have a passion for architectural photography more than other genres.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 18, 2017 10:12 |  #515

^ You could easily market your work and be successful. Your firm will be thrilled with these results. Great idea on using the polarizer to kill reflections.

Btw, Lumenzia 4.0 was realeased.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,078 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 18, 2017 10:35 |  #516

digital_AM wrote in post #18381203 (external link)
^ You could easily market your work and be successful. Your firm will be thrilled with these results. Great idea on using the polarizer to kill reflections.

Btw, Lumenzia 4.0 was realeased.

Yes, I got Lumenzia 4 installed yesterday...keeps getting better and better! :)

Between Raya Pro, TK Actions, and Lumenzia (or any other luminosity too), do you have any preferences at this point? I've had all three, but only have Lumenzia installed at the moment. I need to reinstall Raya because Jimmy has some nice extras in it that I really like. Haven't tried either the latest versions of Raya or TK though.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital_AM.

Jun 18, 2017 10:48 |  #517

David Arbogast wrote in post #18381217 (external link)
Yes, I got Lumenzia 4 installed yesterday...keeps getting better and better! :)

Between Raya Pro, TK Actions, and Lumenzia (or any other luminosity too), do you have any preferences at this point? I've had all three, but only have Lumenzia installed at the moment. I need to reinstall Raya because Jimmy has some nice extras in it that I really like. Haven't tried either the latest versions of Raya or TK though.

I find that Lumenzia is the most intuitive to use. The most accurate is TK but it has a steep learning curve. I need to purchase v5. I've watched Sean's videos on it and it's the best version yet. I like Raya Pro but you really need to follow Jimmy's workflow for best results. His new InstaMask is quite good but not as intuitive as Lumenzia. There is also ADP which I hear is good but I don't own it. I provided a link last week or so to a YT video that compares all of the panels. TK v5 came out on top.

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,010 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 18, 2017 11:38 |  #518

A few months back I had the great pleasure of receving a request from one of my former employers, HNTB Architecture, requesting my photography services for their newly constructed downtown Atlanta offices. HNTB is a wonderful company that gave me incredible opportunities as a designer (I led the interior architecture design of big projects like the Denver Broncos Stadium Clubs, the downtown Kansas City Public Library, Michigan State University stadium clubs and suites, and many many more incredible design opportunities), so I was thrilled to work again with a former co-worker now leading the interiors team for them. I don't think they do any architecture in their Atlanta offices - think it's all engineering (highways, bridges, airports, etc.). Anyway, thought I'd share some of the shots I took for them.

Unfortunately the day turned out to be gloomy and overcast, so didn't get much to work with in the window views. Except for the Laowa 12mm, I used a CPL on every shot to remove glare. In some instance a shot was taken to remove glare from the flooring, and another taken with the CPL rotated to remove glare from wall finishes. Multiple brackets were taken at 1EV apart, along with some light painting. The light painting and exposure brackets were all blended together via Lumenzia.

One gear note: the EF 24-70mm f/4L IS made my life extra painful with terrible flaring from the light fixtures...gave me all the motivation I needed to sell that thing as soon as I finished up this project!

EF 24-70mm f/4L IS:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 25mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

Laowa 12mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

EF 24-70mm f/4L IS:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 18mm:

Batis 25mm:

Batis 18mm:

Nice work David! The decor fits what I'd expect to see in an Engineering office. Also thanks for the tip on using a CP indoors to reduce glare. I wouldn't have considered doing that myself, but once I read it, it was kinda of a "duh" moment for me. :-)

Tim

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,010 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 18, 2017 11:47 |  #519

Just a test to see how my new Loxia 21 handled a certain bright light while I was stuck in the Delta waiting for the turnstyle bridge to close.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tim

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,750 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 18, 2017 12:33 |  #520

Timphoto wrote in post #18381265 (external link)
Just a test to see how my new Loxia 21 handled a certain bright light while I was stuck in the Delta waiting for the turnstyle bridge to close.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Timphoto in
./showthread.php?p=183​81265&i=i76035848
forum: Sony Cameras

Nice sun star. The last time I visited the Delta was when I went to photograph Locke 4 years ago.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

ccp900
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 18, 2017 13:00 |  #521

TMaG82 wrote in post #18380849 (external link)
The DXO Mark scores put the a7sII noticeably lower than the original. While the numbers looks drastic, all told its often barely 1/2 to 2/3 a stop difference. But the A7s is rated at 3702, the a7sII at 2993, with the a9 at 3517 and the a7rII at 3434. What does this all mean? Not much to me, lol. But those who read dxomark like it's the gospel have something to read and discuss.

i did not know this - i always assumed s2 was better than the original a7s. I am hoping the a7s3 is better than the original - high iso is my number 1 priority feature.

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,568 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by randy98mtu.

Jun 18, 2017 13:14 |  #522

Been away a while. First post in the new thread. Really like this sensor. Wish I could mount this sensor with IBIS in my 5D4.

With the 35Art through the MC-11. We had a little mishap with a car window earlier that day. Kid is a trooper. He's going to lose 2 nails but he's doing fine with it.

HOSTED PHOTO

And with the 50L through the MC-11.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,750 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 18, 2017 13:31 |  #523

I'll probably put my 5D3 up for sale first and then the Canon lenses I have next. I'm thinking $1550 for the camera including the Kirk "L" bracket for it. The camera comes with everything that was in the box originally. I need to recheck the shutter count but I know it's very low. I thought I'd mention it here first in case anyone is interested, they can pm me to discuss further. I don't have prices for the lenses as yet.

The lenses I plan on selling will be in this order:

EF 17-40L f4

EF 24-105L f4

EF 85 f1.8

EF 70-200L f4 IS

EF 100-400L ver.1, the original "Dust Pump"

I'll probably hang onto my Sigma 35 f1.4 and Metabones IV for now.

Here's a test shot of my 5D3 for lighting taken today.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 18, 2017 15:21 |  #524

EF 24-70mm f/4L IS:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 25mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

Laowa 12mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

EF 24-70mm f/4L IS:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 18mm:

Batis 25mm:

Batis 18mm:

Those are fantastic, David! The colors and the framing and, well, everything. Simply amazing!

What CPL do you use, btw? I have had no luck with CPLs so far.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,150 posts
Gallery: 1711 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 18, 2017 15:38 |  #525

EF 24-70mm f/4L IS:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 25mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

Laowa 12mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

EF 24-70mm f/4L IS:
QUOTED IMAGE

Batis 18mm:

Batis 25mm:

Batis 18mm:

Well you can imagine how much I know about architectural photography but I know great shots
whatever it is and I can see why you make money doing this.
My question, of all the lenses you plied, if the house was on fire which would you grab running out the door ??

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

1,814,292 views & 55,441 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.