Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 Jun 2017 (Monday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help? Trying to Get My Grade & Style

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 16, 2017 08:37 |  #16

Interesting or dramatic light make photos pop more than S-curves. Check out the examples of others that you posted, they've got more in common than just great processing. Just my 2 cents.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

sponsored links
wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jun 16, 2017 08:42 |  #17

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18376839 (external link)
Hey guys!
I’m getting into travel photography. Here to promote travel, living your life to the fullest, and inspiring others to escape the 9-5. I've done photography for many years on and off, but I'm here trying to get your advice so I can get serious!

Type of photography I will be doing:
I will be in most of my photos “modeling” one way or another, rather than just showing off the location or landscape. I want to show my life as I travel and participate in activities but, there will be a times when I can’t or do not want to be in the photos, such as landscapes.

I am a nature person, I love camping and the outdoors. I will try to feature the nature as much of that as possible but, a lot of traveling and sightseeing is done in cities so, it’s going to be a mix of everything.

My Grading Style:
I know the style I want to implement, but I can't get the grading look in my photos!
I use lightroom & photoshop but I do not have or use any LUTS as I can't seem to find what fits my needs. I have listed a few examples below. I would love to hear your input on how I could achieve similar looks. From taking the photos to grading them.

1) Jacob
https://www.instagram.​com/jacob/?hl=en (external link)
I love this because of the use of colors. Each one has so much colour that it just pops. If you are scrolling through Instagram these photos will just pop out at you. There is a lot of color depth with the orange and teals.

Most of these look as if they were taken during the sunset/sunrise. But others have been taken in clear blue skies. Even those that have overcast and nearly blown out skies still have lots of bright colors in them.

How would I go with grading such pictures?
There doesn’t seem to be a single type of grade as each photo is different. It appears the saturation has been pushed high.

2) Bejamin
https://www.instagram.​com/bejamin/ (external link)
The colors here are awesome too! The photos have that creamy look, and have that minimalism look.
The colors are not as vibrant, and there isn’t as much contrast, but the photos still stand out a lot.

How are the photos so creamy looking? Its so nice! (Even though that arent long exposures)

3) Reneeroaming
https://www.instagram.​com/reneeroaming/ (external link)
With this one, I like the grade, but I love her nature photos even more.
There will be times when instead of being in a city or somewhere where there is lots of color, I would be out camping or in the outdoors. I would like to try to capture photos like these but, implement the grades like those above.

I've attached 2 sample photos of mine. Looking at them, they dont "pop" as much as I would like.
Not enough saturation? More contrast? What could I do?
How do I get that grade as those examples above -- Not only in these two photos I linked, but in general
**These were taken on my phone in RAW so the quality isnt the best
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Michael Frymus in
./showthread.php?p=183​76839&i=i24140903
forum: Critique Corner

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=183​76839&i=i197378366

Few thoughts:
1) both of your images lack contrast - they look raw without the processing
2) both pictures also can benefit from helping the viewer find the focus point(s) / colour(s) that you want them to see - i.e. you need an idea of what you want it to look like
3) yes this is a wide aperture phone picture, but in general, to capture detail with DoF, you need to be using smaller apertures
4) without becoming a PS expert, there is a lot you can do in Adobe LR by using basic Graduated and Radial Filters to highlight what you want highlighted, bring contrast to where you want contrast, etc - these two basic but powerful filters can help you process your raw pictures to make them look like you want them to look - but you need to know what you want

I did 2 printscreens of your posted photos and spent 2 minutes on each in LR after having looked at the links you posted.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4280/35212795241_e993e58d83_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VDCM​ek  (external link) not my pictures - edits done on request (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4209/35212795501_3a2556d951_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VDCM​iP  (external link) not my pictures - edits done on request (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,913 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2017 09:20 |  #18

Pffff. I am not going to tell anything about /color/grading now, becouse I am too afraid to make spelling errors and be yolled at me about them. Yulled. Yalled. Yklled. Yesatandeathblooded. You see?! Oh.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 19, 2017 20:50 |  #19

A number of good suggestions here.

So, Michael Frymus, any responses?

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,421 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by kf095. (4 edits in all)

Jun 20, 2017 11:15 |  #20

Every time I see Canadian Flag - I'm taken. I didn't really read your OP, because it feels mature enough with what you are doing. Keep trying, your are good at your own. Better that edits attempts here, way better. IMO. :-)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,053 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 20, 2017 16:28 |  #21

Trying to Get My Grade & Style

I know the style I want to implement, but I can't get the grading look in my photos!

How do I get that grade as those examples above?

I do not know what you mean by the term "grade". . Could you please explain?

I've attached 2 sample photos of mine. . Looking at them, they dont "pop" as much as I would like.
Not enough saturation? . More contrast? . What could I do?
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=183​76839&i=i24140903

In this photo, the relative distances are not conducive to providing "pop" (as you describe it).

The distance from the camera to yourself (the subject) should be much, much closer if you want to achieve what you call "pop".

Generally, "pop" is used to refer to separation between a subject and its surroundings. . In this image, "pop" is quite limited because there is very little separation. . It looks like maybe the subject was 60 feet away and the falls were 150 feet away. . This just isn't working.

If you want "pop", then try this type of shot where the subject is just 8 or 10 or 20 feet from the camera (with the falls still about 150 feet). . Of course, you'll have to experiment around with a great number of aperture settings at each distance you try. . This may be tricky, and require you to move around a lot and engage in a whole lot of trial and error - hours worth of trial and error, perhaps - but it will be well worth it in the end. . Plus, you'll learn a tremendous bit about composition and framing by spending an hour or three trying to get this shot right.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Qbx
Goldmember
3,915 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 21, 2017 12:11 |  #22

As I understand LUTs, they are designed to be used with video -- basically providing a map of contrast, saturation, and exposure adjustments to a whole series of video frames which would be prohibitively time-consuming done manually. I don't know why you should be concerned with LUTs for still photography when you have LR & PS to edit your pictures; and both have batch processing capability for multiple photos. And I agree with Tom's question on "grade". I don't really get what you mean there. Do you want an A to F as in High School? If so, I'd grant you a D on both pictures but for different reasons. #1 is grainy, too contrasty, and not well composed (as mentioned not getting the full waterfall). #2 lacks a clear point of interest - why take this photo?

-- Image Editing OK --

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by F2Bthere.

Jun 21, 2017 18:54 |  #23

Color Grading and LUTs both come from the movie/video world.

LUTs can be fairly complex look up tables which are used to remap the pixels. Photoshop supports the creation and application of LUTs. It can be a useful way to package a set of adjustments so they can be quickly and efficiently applied to an image. Because there is an adjustment layer LUT feature, you can also take full advantage of blend modes, advanced layer properties and masks. In certain contexts, I find them useful.

Color Grading in photography is generally used to refer to the artistic use of color in an image, as contrasted with color correction, which generally refers to making colors "accurate" (I realize that the concept of "correct color" can be...complex).

If you get into these things, I will save you some time by pointing out that it is better to color correct your image first before attempting to grade it (or convert it to monochrome, for that matter). If exposure correction is needed, this is also better done first.

Because of the movies, we have all grown accustom to creative color grading and many of us have grown to appreciate the aesthetic advantages of color grading for certain types of images, although not always in a cinematic style.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
3,915 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 22, 2017 03:16 as a reply to  @ F2Bthere's post |  #24

So would selective color be color grading? Or would grading involve something more -- involving the whole frame?

-- Image Editing OK --

Nathan
So boring
7,731 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 22, 2017 07:46 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #25

https://learning.linke​din.com …n--what-s-the-difference- (external link)

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

ScooterShooter
36 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 23, 2017 16:09 |  #26

plantastic wrote in post #18377601 (external link)
So, look not for a short cut, but stick to the path and hold tight your belief in your vision, and ultimately you will achieve what you work for.

Quite good advice for any passion we are pursuing.

Nikon D5300 D610 | Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

ScooterShooter
36 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 23, 2017 16:11 |  #27

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18379049 (external link)
I'm asking about grading tips, and not the about the way I'm posing in these two photos

You'd be better served to show gratitude to those trying to assist you.

Nikon D5300 D610 | Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

ScooterShooter
36 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 23, 2017 16:14 |  #28

My Grading Style:

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=183​76839&i=i197378366

Unlike others I like the composition on the second photo, including the back of the hiker.

sponsored links

5,044 views & 11 likes for this thread
Help? Trying to Get My Grade & Style
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.