Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Jun 2017 (Sunday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SD slot issue with 7d2

RMyers
306 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 18, 2017 15:14 |  #1

On my my Canon 7d mark II, I've started having problems where it doesn't want to pop up when I want to release it. I push in and it doesn't move until I try a couple of times. Similar when I put it back in. Sometimes it clicks and holds just like normal, but other times it won't. I don't force it in and it does it with different cards so it isn't a card specific problem.

Anyone else have the same problem? And suggestions on a potential fix I could do? Like cleaning. Otherwise, I think it means it has to go off to Canon for repairs.

Rusty
Austin, TX

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 18, 2017 21:34 |  #2

SD cards are flimsy and can start to separate on the seams, etc. This can cause the cards to not eject correctly.

Have you tried other cards?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

RMyers
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 19, 2017 13:40 |  #3

Yeah, I mentioned that in the first post. I've tried different cards with the same results. In fact, that was my first assumption. Over the years I've seen the plastic fingers break off too. So I checked my cards for that and to make sure there wasn't a piece of one down in the slot.

It is kind of like the spring at the bottom is binding and not latching on insert or releasing on eject all the time. I'll see if I can get a better light in there.

Rusty
Austin, TX

RMyers
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 19, 2017 13:56 |  #4

And that was the trick. I'm so nearsighted that with my glasses off I can see really closely. It looked like there was something down in the slot. The plastic toothpick on a Swiss Army knife was the perfect thickness and length to reach it. Plus it is plastic. I dislodged a small plastic part. Started checking my sd cards and found one with a small crack on the corner and a small missing piece.

So, good news is all fixed. Bad news, my fastest, largest SD card is in the trash now. But they are so cheap these days I don't mind much.

Thanks for asking that again. It made me think it through again.

Rusty
Austin, TX

RMyers
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 19, 2017 14:35 |  #5

And because I had the macro lens handy...here's a look:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-L8RMb47/0/9ee11a8b/L/i-L8RMb47-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://woodbutcher.sm​ugmug.com …/Misc/n-BngLW/i-L8RMb47/A  (external link)

Rusty
Austin, TX

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 19, 2017 15:22 |  #6

Good job in fishing that out, that is quite small. The card probably isn't trashed though. Somebody should make replacement SD cases. The actual memory/chip/board inside is very small, and could be transplanted very easily.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

RMyers
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 19, 2017 15:55 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #7

I already separated the guts. Yep, one sealed board, kind of small. I was wondering if I could use an old one as a donor. I'll look for covers. Meanwhile, Amazon already has a replacement on the way.

Rusty
Austin, TX

ejenner
Goldmember
3,630 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 20, 2017 23:45 |  #8

This thread reminds be of being at work. Where you start to ask a co-worker a question and saying it out loud gets you thinking and then you start to answer your own question only to walk away with the answer without the co-worker saying a word.

Love it. Makes me laugh (in a good way) every time I do it or see someone doing it to me.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

RMyers
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 22, 2017 07:32 |  #9

Yep. I understand. I was working from home that day and had access to the camera and couldn't leave well enough alone. If I were at the office, there would have only been one follow up. And the new card came in and pops in and out. Life is good again. BTW, I pair up CF and SD cards. I have two pairs of 32GB, and one pair of 64gb. This was my 64gb SD, which I use the most. So I'm glad to have that pair again.

Rusty
Austin, TX

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 22, 2017 07:36 |  #10

If you get a successful transplant of the heart into a new shell, let us know how you did it and what card you used as the donor shell.

RMyers
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 22, 2017 14:54 |  #11

I did some web searching for empty covers and for people that had done transplants. Best I found was where people managed to make it work long enough to pull images off a damaged case, but no permanent solutions.

Rusty
Austin, TX

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 22, 2017 15:52 |  #12

Seems like a touch of epoxy and a little sanding would seal the case.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

mcoren
462 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Jun 22, 2017 17:28 |  #13

RMyers, great job getting to the bottom of that problem (both literally and figuratively)!

My advice now? Toss the broken card and get a new one. You bought a 7D2, and probably some good glass to go with it. A 64G Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s card is about $36. Do you really want to risk a problem form a homebrew solution?

Just my $0.02. :-)
Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, 7D, and 100 (film SLR)
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (non-C)
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jun 22, 2017 21:08 |  #14

mcoren wrote in post #18384605 (external link)
RMyers, great job getting to the bottom of that problem (both literally and figuratively)!

My advice now? Toss the broken card and get a new one. You bought a 7D2, and probably some good glass to go with it. A 64G Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s card is about $36. Do you really want to risk a problem form a homebrew solution?

Just my $0.02. :-)
Mike

There isn't much to the card case, it is just a housing with a plastic slider lock tab and the guts has all the memory and contact points. Take any old 4GB card and slice it open, pop out the old brain and put in the new one, and stick the casing back together. That is the only tricky part, what do you use to keep the housing intact. I have a 64GB Sony card guts right now, and yes, I will find a donor housing and put into my camera. ;)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,759 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2017 09:12 |  #15

Or of course you could just use the far more reliable and robust CF slot, and not have to worry about flimsy easily damaged SD cards. To me any camera with dual SD/CF slots only has one useable memory card slot, and I would not buy a camera with just a single SD card slot. I have killed just about every SD card that I have ever handled, seemingly just by handling it! I have been using CF cards in cameras since Jan 05, and the only card that I have had a fault with was like that from new. I still have, and use in my 20D still the original Jessops brand 1GB CF card that I got with my original 300D kit. Several of the CF cards that I picked up over the years were second hand too, they were generally 8 GB Sandisk cards that I got at a good price, since the game trading store I got them from offered a 12 month replacement warranty on all second hand goods.

So that's 12 years and three camera bodies that I have had zero problems with CF cards for.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

5,062 views & 4 likes for this thread
SD slot issue with 7d2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.