Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Jun 2017 (Saturday) 12:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Baseball

ScooterShooter
36 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 24, 2017 12:38 |  #1

Baseball on a sunny day

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nikon D5300 D610 | Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 24, 2017 12:46 |  #2

Nice action capture in #1, but I think it could use a little sharpening. In #2 I'd crop tighter to eliminate the sign on the right and I'd put some more light on their faces in post processing.

-- Image Editing OK --

ScooterShooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 24, 2017 13:33 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #3

You don't need to get into too much detail, but how do I increase the light on faces without washing out other areas? (I am using Lightroom.)

Nikon D5300 D610 | Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by Qbx.

Jun 24, 2017 14:32 as a reply to  @ ScooterShooter's post |  #4

Select your photo from your LR library, then in the upper right you'll see: Library Develop Map Book Slideshow Print Web.
Click Develop. Then you should see a histogram in the upper right. Below that a check box that says Original Photo. Below that is 6 different tools you can use to make adjustments. The tool on the far right is an adjustment brush - click it. Move your cursor into your image area to the left. You should see a circular shape. This is the brush. Make it smaller or larger with [or] keys (left or right bracket keys). Make it sized to fit the area (the face in this case) you want to adjust, then click over the area. You can move it around and paint different areas. Then use the Exposure slider to brighten or darken the area that you painted. Other sliders will also modify the painted area accordingly. That's the basics.

-- Image Editing OK --

ScooterShooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 24, 2017 20:26 |  #5

Qbx wrote in post #18385940 (external link)
In #2 I'd crop tighter to eliminate the sign on the right and I'd put some more light on their faces in post processing.

Is this what you had in mind?

HOSTED PHOTO

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,235 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 24, 2017 21:02 as a reply to  @ ScooterShooter's post |  #6

I think that you overdid it a bit, it looks unnatural. Either lower the exposure some or try again with lowered opacity on the brush.

Mark

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2017 22:31 as a reply to  @ ScooterShooter's post |  #7

Yes. That crop looks better, but you ended up with them in dead center of the frame. You could open up the space to the left, which is the direction they are looking and it would be more pleasing. You might also try to sharpen the guy's face on the left a bit. He seems to be slightly OOF, so it may not help. Although rrblint has a point, I doubt that the players would notice.

-- Image Editing OK --

ScooterShooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 26, 2017 19:11 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #8

How about this?

HOSTED PHOTO

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,290 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 26, 2017 19:40 |  #9

Baseball is fun! Think about getting more of your subject(s) in focus by extending your depth of field. The firsr one looks out of focus, or maybe it's heat/haze causing me to think so. Also, if you can, move around to get a more pleasing or appropriate background. That could be difficult though.

flickr (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,178 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 26, 2017 21:02 |  #10

Qbx wrote in post #18385991 (external link)
....Move your cursor into your image area to the left. You should see a circular shape. This is the brush. Make it smaller or larger with [or] keys (left or right bracket keys). Make it sized to fit the area (the face in this case) you want to adjust, then click over the area. You can move it around and paint different areas. Then use the Exposure slider to brighten or darken the area that you painted. Other sliders will also modify the painted area accordingly. That's the basics.

What Qbx said, but I would use the shadows slider not the exposure slider. Lifting the shadows will even out the face, whereas Exposure will brighten both the shadow area and the bright area (which is already bright).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2017 21:14 as a reply to  @ ScooterShooter's post |  #11

Now the composition looks right to me.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links

1,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
Baseball
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.