Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 26 Jun 2017 (Monday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Burkina Faso Beauty

Qbx
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2017 14:29 |  #1

I took several candid shots of this Burkina Faso friend at a party. Here is a before and after that I'd like critiqued. Actually they are different shots in a burst. I didn't edit the first one. I did a lot of editing on the second in Lightroom only. Unfortunately, I couldn't get her skin tone to be realistic in this available-light series (she has a much richer dark - almost blue-black - complexion).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
Micro5797
487 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 26, 2017 15:17 |  #2

In the second image, she is very red with perhaps some green.

Have you tried using a WB reading using the white of her eyes? This may get you a good starting point.

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Qbx.

Jun 26, 2017 21:07 as a reply to  @ Micro5797's post |  #3

Hadn't tried that:oops:
Here are two more attempts I think they're both much better. Thanks Micro.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,928 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by olafs osh. (2 edits in all)

Jun 27, 2017 05:49 |  #4

Last two are super-blue! I think originally you were on the right track colorwise. For skin you should go into PS - LR is not made for this despite some tutorials try to tell us :D Also in PS - couple curves/color adjustment layers will do the trick, imo. Right in the LR you could drop a bit of saturation down. And about those eyes - red as f*** - anoter layer for them - perhaps just desaturate and lighten a bit [that's what I do, when I am too lazy to clean up all those blood thingies].

And, you know this - it's a bit too tight :]

The same layer for the eyes. Master adjustments and then just bring doooown the reds. Well, you get my drift :]

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 27, 2017 16:39 as a reply to  @ olafs osh's post |  #5

Here's the way she looks with flash. The geezer in the photo is not me. With incandescent light I just can't seem to manage the color balance to get her dark skin tones.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Jun 27, 2017 17:00 |  #6

Qbx wrote in post #18388380 (external link)
Here's the way she looks with flash. The geezer in the photo is not me. With incandescent light I just can't seem to manage the color balance to get her dark skin tones.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Qbx in
./showthread.php?p=183​88380&i=i153700637
forum: Critique Corner

That flash shot really doesn't work. But that's really not the big issue. If the flash is on camera, bounce it. If it's off camera (not easy at a party) use a modifier that diffuses the light well (or bounce it). If you are using the built-in camera flash unit, you probably shouldn't be ... that's actually suitable only for gentle 'fill' or very desperate situations.

My wife (now, sadly, passed) was black and our son is 'half'. Of course, his complexion is much lighter but it raises the same kind of challenges in terms of capturing actual skin tones. I recently bought an X-rite Passport Colour Checker gizmo for about five-times what I would consider a fair price. But, when you use it, it really delivers. Skin colour is absolutely spot-on. I could not be more satisfied with the results ... despite my unhappiness with the price.

I haven't tried out the X-rite gizmo on the other everyday bane of my photographic life ... capturing bleached out Caucasians and dark West Africans successfully together in group shots. But I am hopeful. (It helps to have a camera with a wide dynamic range.)

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 27, 2017 19:13 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #7

I totally agree with what you said; however, I posted the flash shot to show what her skin tones really look like. The flash got it almost perfectly right. She has that very dark almost blue-black pure-African complexion which I like a lot. It's just a challenge to get it right (for me) in tungsten light. I wish I had had a gray card during the party where I met her. Hopefully I'll get her to do a photo-shoot someday and I'll have time to experiment with different lighting.

-- Image Editing OK --

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Qbx.

Jun 28, 2017 16:31 as a reply to  @ olafs osh's post |  #8

Thanks for the suggestion to use Photoshop. You're right about that and the eyes. I got into it and here's the result. I applied a glamour-glow, tweaked color balance, worked on an eye layer, and a few more things I don't remember.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 30, 2017 06:35 |  #9

I have a family of nine children, six of which are black (adopted.
The only way that I have gotten the colors is by using this...http://xritephoto.com/​colorchecker-targets (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jun 30, 2017 06:43 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #10

I (only recently) picked up one of the Colour Checker product range. They are expensive for what they are but they do the job (for all skin tones).

David.

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 01, 2017 20:05 |  #11

chauncey wrote in post #18390642 (external link)
I have a family of nine children, six of which are black (adopted.
The only way that I have gotten the colors is by using this...http://xritephoto.com/​colorchecker-targets (external link)

DaviSto wrote in post #18390647 (external link)
I (only recently) picked up one of the Colour Checker product range. They are expensive for what they are but they do the job (for all skin tones).

------------
Thanks Chauncey and DaviSto for the tips, but is that color board really any better than a gray card? How do you decide which color to look at and use as the exposure basis? Would you use different colors (on the card) for black vs white skin?

-- Image Editing OK --

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jul 02, 2017 02:49 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #12

It comes with software that allows you to set up a camera profile for specific light conditions. You then apply that profile in post. It's very straightforward and quick (LR add-in). The process takes into account the full array of colours not just the individual cell that is 18% grey.

You would apply the same profile to all skin tones and all should be accurately represented. You can always go on to edit further from that starting point.

David.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 03, 2017 08:38 |  #13

As an example this is a shot of them all.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …auncey43/family​-final.jpg (external link)
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jul 03, 2017 08:41 |  #14

chauncey wrote in post #18393116 (external link)
As an example this is a shot of them all.

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …auncey43/family​-final.jpg (external link)
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Looks like you've been hit by the curse of photobucket. No photograph displayed. There's a recently started thread on this.

EDIT ... I did manage to get to the photograph eventually using the link that appeared above in this message (i.e. my reply) but that seems to have disappeared again. Strange goings on.

Meanwhile, it's quite a crew you have there!

David.

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 03, 2017 09:47 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #15

I'd love to see the photo, so why not try putting it into your gallery here.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links

3,774 views & 4 likes for this thread
Burkina Faso Beauty
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.