Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 26 Jun 2017 (Monday) 14:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jane

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,913 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 26, 2017 14:51 |  #1

Okely-dokely [I seriously have no idea, how to correctly spell this one]. How's "dead-ish space" in this one, guys?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2017 15:07 |  #2

I think the dead space would work better if it faded uniformly right to left. As it is, I see a bow-tie of light on the couch which doesn't feel right.

-- Image Editing OK --

ScooterShooter
36 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 27, 2017 16:01 |  #3

Qbx wrote in post #18387505 (external link)
I think the dead space would work better if it faded uniformly right to left. As it is, I see a bow-tie of light on the couch which doesn't feel right.

I agree. It doesn't work for me. It feels overly dark on the subject.

Nikon D5300 D610 | Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 27, 2017 16:21 |  #4

Same here. too dark and the bow-tie effect looks like we're peeping through binoculars at this innocent looking young lady which is kind of creepy.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,913 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 27, 2017 16:32 |  #5

Creepy? Damn, that's bad :/

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by CameraMan.

Jun 27, 2017 16:39 |  #6

Your intentions were good. You just need to work on the final outcome. I think the B&W might be adding to the creepyness factor as well. :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,989 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 27, 2017 16:52 |  #7

It looks like she's slid to the right and you're about to lose her off the edge.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,913 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by olafs osh.

Jun 28, 2017 11:28 |  #8

Guys, I thought about it more than once. Even talked with my cat about it. I dismiss the "being creepy" part. Especially with her looking into camera.

- Olafs Osh

windpig
Chopped liver
14,777 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2017 14:35 |  #9

I'm glad you have a smart cat to discuss these things with.
Personally I like this image, but would be tweaking the contrast.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Ramon-uk
635 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 28, 2017 14:48 |  #10

I like it a lot, but I think it might look better if the left side of the binocular view was completely black, I find that cushion a bit distracting.

I don't think it's creepy but I think the look on her face says " I'm sure I am being watched but I can't see anybody " !

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 28, 2017 15:02 |  #11

OhLook wrote in post #18388388 (external link)
It looks like she's slid to the right and you're about to lose her off the edge.

Olafs is usually off the edge or very near it. :p

-- Image Editing OK --

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 28, 2017 18:06 |  #12

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18389127 (external link)
I don't think it's creepy but I think the look on her face says " I'm sure I am being watched but I can't see anybody"

That's what I was seeing. It doesn't look bad on my computer but it looks creepier on my phone. If that makes any sense...

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by CameraMan.

Jun 28, 2017 18:21 |  #13

This is a crude representation of how I would have processed this. It's hard to make it look nice without the RAW file but I think you get where I am going with this.

HOSTED PHOTO

I even tried to spruce it up a bit with Silver Efex and crop it some. The photo has some great possibilities...

Retro like 1920's might work well with this photo with the lighting and the background that's going on here.

HOSTED PHOTO

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,913 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 29, 2017 03:26 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #14

You know what, ill give it a shot. :)

- Olafs Osh

Nathan
So boring
7,729 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 29, 2017 08:29 |  #15

Qbx wrote in post #18389136 (external link)
Olafs is usually off the edge or very near it. :p

Some of the people here don't seem to be familiar with Olafs work. I've come to the realization that one-half or one-third under exposure is part of his artistic vision and style.

I think that the exposure on her face appears somewhat abrupt in the sea of black. I think the brightness of her face is what makes this image "creepy". Olaf, if you either bring the rest of her up or scale back on the exposure on the face to balance with the rest of her body, I think it's a good image.

Also a bit abrupt is the transition from lit to dark. I'd like to see a more gradual transition.

Why the dead-space? Is this to be the background of an extra-wide monitor? If printed and framed, I'm just not sure what the dead space accomplishes. I'm not against negative space, but I'm not sure what the purpose is here.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

3,151 views & 10 likes for this thread
Jane
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.