Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jun 2017 (Wednesday) 23:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6d2 is here.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,262 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 29, 2017 09:37 |  #46

rantercsr wrote in post #18389705 (external link)
...Again im not saying no one should be cont3nt with canon cameras , but i have to admit seems odd they keep leaving features out and the excuses r3ally do see like bs

This becomes more important as Canons upgrade cycle for FF cameras is so long. It might be 2023 before a replacement comes out.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
FEChariot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 29, 2017 10:08 |  #47

Petie53 wrote in post #18389710 (external link)
Initially the only thing bothering me is the that the 45 focus points are so tightly clustered and don't go anywhere near the edges of the viewfinder. I have never had more than 9 or 11 points before so this is a huge upgrade but bugs me that so much of the screen area can't be used as focus point.
Other than that this it seems like a huge upgrade over my 6D! Never have tried video so not going to miss 4K.

I agree the spread is kind of disappointing. I am always wanting a wider spread on my 7D and this looks like less on a spread. Does the spread on the 6D2 even cover the rule of thirds?

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jun 29, 2017 10:45 |  #48

All these new cool cameras is making my 1Ds Mark III seem really old :( but boy does it take awesome images.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 29, 2017 10:46 |  #49

Mark0159 wrote in post #18389578 (external link)
The main reason why I wouldn't upgrade this camera from the 5 year old 6D that I am currently using is that this camera is already looks old.

Do photos taken with the 6D look "old" ? No ! 6D2 offers better AF, DPAF and tilty screen...If I still had a 6D, I would see this camera as a good upgrade....but that's just me. :-)

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,709 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 29, 2017 10:50 |  #50

Patbil10 wrote in post #18389784 (external link)
Do photos taken with the 6D look "old" ? No ! 6D2 offers better AF, DPAF and tilty screen...If I still had a 6D, I would see this camera as a good upgrade....but that's just me. :-)

I, too, was a bit confused when I saw Mark's comments about the 6D2 "looking" old. . I still don't know what he means by that. . I don't care what the camera looks like - I care about the photos that can be taken with it, and what they look like.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 29, 2017 10:54 |  #51

gjl711 wrote in post #18389641 (external link)
This sounds like corporate-BS justifying dumbing down the camera so it doesn't card into 5DIV sales. There are plenty (external link) of DSLRs that do 4k without catching fire. Heck, there are now well over 60 phones that do 4k as well as a number of P/S cameras. These days it makes no sense not to include it.

Sony's all do 4K...and catch fire ! LOL Heck, the A9 catches fire while taking stills ! :lol:

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jun 29, 2017 10:56 |  #52

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18389789 (external link)

I, too, was a bit confused when I saw Mark's comments about the 6D2 "looking" old. . I still don't know what he means by that. . I don't care what the camera looks like - I care about the photos that can be taken with it, and what they look like.

I think he means spec wise its not really anything groundbreaking. And when you say "I care about the photos that can be taken with it, and what they look like" that kind of is irrelevant as even the 5D classic, 1DsII and 1DsIII, 5DII takes just as good if not better photos than some of the newer ones, it just does it with less pixels :).

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,709 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 29, 2017 11:05 |  #53

gjl711 wrote in post #18389723 (external link)
This becomes more important as Canons upgrade cycle for FF cameras is so long. It might be 2023 before a replacement comes out.

What seems so odd to me is that they wait so, so very long to finally release an upgrade, but then they withhold so many of the features that have already been developed.

I mean, supposedly, the reason to wait so long between upgrades is because after a year or three there just haven't been enough technological advances to justify a new model. . So if technology is what we've all been waiting on for so long, then it seems odd that when they finally do release the new model, they don't put the newly developed features and capabilities into the camera. . That makes me think, "Hey, they could have released this camera two years ago - all the technology was there at that time. Why are they just giving this to us now?"

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

shaunmcfd
814 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 29, 2017 11:11 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #54

THIS is an upgrade to the current 6D. You want an upgrade from that you have to move to the 5D series. The features that have been developed that COULD go in to this camera would move it to a more expensive camera which is already the 5D3 or 4 (and more). Different models have different options for a reason. This camera is great for someone who needs the available options it offers for <$2,000. You want more? You have to pay more for a different model. What would be cool is if you could choose options and custom make a model.

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Canon 24-70 ii

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jun 29, 2017 11:12 |  #55

Petie53 wrote in post #18389710 (external link)
Initially the only thing bothering me is the that the 45 focus points are so tightly clustered and don't go anywhere near the edges of the viewfinder. ....

This is a problem in particular for those coming from a crop sensor,. amazingly ALL of the $8,000.00 plus 1Ds bodies shared this same issue that the 6DII has. (likewise 5D3/1Dx to a lesser extent)
So it's in good company anyway.

The frame rate, MP count and advertised better noise handling, DPAF, all puts this body closer to it's double-the-price-5D4 sibling than the 6D ever was to the 5D3,.

Add in Tilt screen and some other features that the 5D4 lacks,.

IMHO It's into price is only a few hundred more than the 6D was at launch, and will obviously come down, so I don't feel it's over priced. It seems reasonable to me. I feel like people are concerned about the price are comparing it to the current price of the 4 year old 6D,.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jun 29, 2017 11:16 |  #56

DaviSto wrote in post #18389722 (external link)
I have the 5Div which does have a wider spread of focus points, although they still don't go right to the edge. To be honest I don't use the outer points all that much. ..

I got very used to using the outer most points on my 1D/1D2/1D3 for shooting live performances,. mostly in portrait orientation where the top center (or right mid in landscape) AF point would be placed on a dancers face for the best framing. On the 1D 1.3x sensor the old 45 point AF system had those AF points pretty much perfectly situated. On the 1Ds they were not far enough out for the framing to work nearly as well. I needed to put the AF point on the dancers for perfect framing. Not ideal, and on the move, focus recompose simply does not work. Likewise with the 5D3.

I am VERY happy it is much better with 5D4/1Dx2

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,709 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Jun 29, 2017 11:30 |  #57

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18389816 (external link)
I got very used to using the outer most points on my 1D/1D2/1D3 for shooting live performances,. mostly in portrait orientation where the top center (or right mid in landscape) AF point would be placed on a dancers face for the best framing. On the 1D 1.3x sensor the old 45 point AF system had those AF points pretty much perfectly situated. On the 1Ds they were not far enough out for the framing to work nearly as well. I needed to put the AF point on the dancers for perfect framing. Not ideal, and on the move, focus recompose simply does not work. Likewise with the 5D3.

I am VERY happy it is much better with 5D4/1Dx2

These are really important points .(pun might be intended :) ).

I am very frequently placing my main subject way out near the edge of the frame where my 1D4 does not have any focus points. . I do not like to focus and recompose because my framing is often so precise that it kills me to have to readjust the exact aiming of the camera. . Focusing and recomposing - even just a tiny little bit - is a pretty big deal when using huge lenses and locking them down on a gimbal head. . Every time I want to adjust my aim just the tiniest bit I have to loosen the vertical adjustment knob, loosen the horizontal adjustment knob, and loosen the lens collar knob, re-aim ever so slightly, then tighten all three knobs back up again.

Every time a new camera comes out within my price range, I hope that maybe it can be the long awaited replacement for my 1D4. . When I first got the 6D2 announcement from B&H, I thought that this could finally be the right camera for me. . But then when I look into it deeper, this lack of focus point coverage could be a total deal breaker. . Frame coverage is just so very important and has such a great effect on the images I take that I don't know if I could live with something that would cause me so much trouble in this area.

ma11rats
993 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 29, 2017 11:34 |  #58

The 'first impressions' videos all on youtube showing the AF points make it clear it's taken off the much smaller sensor setup of the 80D. It's a similar thing with the 7D2/5D3. The 7D2 points go out WAY further than the 5D3

Jake, the original 6D release price was $2099. This new body is actually $100 cheaper at release.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,262 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 29, 2017 11:41 |  #59

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18389812 (external link)
IMHO It's into price is only a few hundred more than the 6D was at launch, and will obviously come down, so I don't feel it's over priced. It seems reasonable to me. I feel like people are concerned about the price are comparing it to the current price of the 4 year old 6D,.

I thought the 6D was $2200 at launch and came down pretty quickly. Not sure how reliable camelcamelcamel (external link) data is though.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mcoren
630 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by mcoren.

Jun 29, 2017 11:44 |  #60

Defining new products is a tough job. On the one hand, you want your new products to open new sales opportunities, not cannibalize sales of your existing products. On the other hand, if you don't constantly outdo yourself, your competitors will. Canon had to try and find that balance with the 6Dii. Much of the disappointment I'm reading on this thread can be boiled down to "it doesn't do everything the 5Div does."

I'm a dedicated crop user, but I still see the 6Dii as an exciting product. As others have pointed out, the 6Dii looks a lot like a full frame 80D. That's a pretty good place to be. Canon has put their top-of-the-line crop technology into their entry-level full frame body, so now people who want that technology have a choice of having it in crop or full frame (for an additional cost). They've also left enough of the high-end features out of the 6Dii so that people who really need them will have a reason to still buy a 5Div.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links

212,521 views & 948 likes for this thread
6d2 is here.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.