Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jun 2017 (Wednesday) 23:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6d2 is here.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jul 01, 2017 19:06 |  #421

Charlie wrote in post #18392007 (external link)
The 5Dc was like even more from what I recall, and even for the time, it was still an entry level FF camera. Camera costs have gone down a lot during the years, the 5Dii branched to a pro camera 5Diii and the 6D took it's place with the single cross type AF point entry level. The pricing went up with the 5Diii and down with the 6D. 5Dc was entry level and cost a lot too.

https://www.dpreview.c​om …thursday-the-canon-eos-5d (external link)

Yeah, 3500 back then, equivalent to 4300 today.

1DXII(2) | 5D4 | D850 | 8-800mm

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 01, 2017 19:26 |  #422

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18391892 (external link)
At the same time, on this forum in particular, we have a HUGE number of Luddites that feel that NO video should be put into their cameras. They still complain about it being there, and feel that it's inclusion lessens their cameras value for them personally while driving up the actual monetary cost.

So yes, absolutely their are people on this forum that will think that adding more video features would make the 6D2 worse off. You have to face the fact that people don't all share your p.o.v.

ie: It's simply a matter of personal opinion with no right or wrong, so i can't ever understand the need for pages and pages and days of days of the same circular disagreement.

Ever.

I guess that makes me a semi-Luddite. I dearly wish some manufacturer, any of them, would come out with no frills, NONE, fully manual full frame camera that has only two modes: ON & OFF. No AF, No Auto-anything. Just a shutter speed dial, an aperture ring on the lens, and an ISO setting, and just for kicks, limit that to max 800. I don't even care if it has a meter. I'll take it from there. Sell it for $500 and they'd sell millions of them. I'd buy 3 of them. One for use, one for backup, and one for spit and giggles.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jul 01, 2017 19:30 |  #423

Bassat wrote in post #18392025 (external link)
I guess that makes me a semi-Luddite. I dearly wish some manufacturer, any of them, would come out with no frills, NONE, fully manual full frame camera that has only two modes: ON & OFF. No AF, No Auto-anything. Just a shutter speed dial, an aperture ring on the lens, and an ISO setting, and just for kicks, limit that to max 800. I don't even care if it has a meter. I'll take it from there. Sell it for $500 and they'd sell millions of them. I'd buy 3 of them. One for use, one for backup, and one for spit and giggles.

I would be in support of this if manufacturers were charging accordingly...but take a look at the Nikon Df (video "stripped") and its introduction price and longstanding lack of discount and the idea doesn't seem so hot anymore.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 01, 2017 19:31 |  #424

idkdc wrote in post #18391940 (external link)
Which cameras did Canon send the cease and desist notice to Magic Lantern? Is it legally possible on the 5DIV and 6DII these days?

If Canon has done that, the Supreme Court has rendered it null and void. The law of the land is quickly changing to you OWN what you BUY. Once you own a Canon camera, or a corn seed, the manufacturer has no further rights to that specific item. Period. ML can write any software they want for the 6DII, or any other camera. YOU own it. Not Canon.

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by rantercsr.

Jul 01, 2017 19:38 |  #425

Bassat wrote in post #18392032 (external link)
If Canon has done that, the Supreme Court has rendered it null and void. The law of the land is quickly changing to you OWN what you BUY. Once you own a Canon camera, or a corn seed, the manufacturer has no further rights to that specific item. Period. ML can write any software they want for the 6DII, or any other camera. YOU own it. Not Canon.

i'm throwing in something here that probably isn't relevant ? but made me think..

in the video game world...
you own the console you purchased .. that is the physical gaming console.. how ever you don't own the Operating system , and so if they catch you hacking or modding for the purpose of cheating / gaining an advantage in online gaming .. they will brick your console...:lol:

which I thought was great ...

so yes you own the console you bought , but the rights to use the OS are not permanent..
obviously with Cameras , it would be hard for them to brick it at will but , i'm curious how complicated the laws get their

and I think someone metioned something about Canon overheating if ML did do a 4k trick for 6d2 ..

with the current cameras ML supports still ,, Shooting RaW video would actually make the cameras over heat if not done properly ,, and as I recall it was not easy to do properly for a good while

In any case it doesn't appear ML is doing anything more since the 5d3 , 70d generation of cameras..

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

ma11rats
892 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by ma11rats.

Jul 01, 2017 19:43 |  #426

x-vision wrote in post #18392001 (external link)
Note that even Canon's flagship model, the 1DXII, shoots 4K only in crop mode, not in full mode.
This is telling me that there is some technical problem that Canon hasn't solved yet with respect to 4K video.
Otherwise, they wouldn't 'cripple' their flagship with 4K video only in crop mode.

Does anyone know if the 1Dc shoots 4k in a crop mode? Those bad boys still shoot 12FPS. Maybe I should save for one of those instead of the 1Dx. Then I know my pro camera would have some 'future proofing'

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
6D, 80D, 35f2IS, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, T 17-50f2.8

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,005 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 01, 2017 19:52 |  #427

The US Supreme Court patent ruling on reselling ink jet and toner cartridges is interesting and should eventually lead to other prescedent setting victories in other industries, but I'm certain we are not at the point that big ag will be affected.

As far as magic lantern is concerned, any lawsuit from Canon, whether frivolous or not would likely shut them down. Canon has herds of lawyers employed and on retainer. They could throw enough money at the situation that I suspect ML would have no choice except to capitulate, regardless of whether there was an actual case.

ML's greatest asset in keeping Canon off their back is the huge number of people that use their software. If Canon were to come down hard on this non commercial venture hordes of users would abandon the company on principle alone.

The outcry over crushing ML would make the whining over 6D product differentiation look like, um, well, whining over 6D product differentiation. lol

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 01, 2017 19:53 |  #428

rantercsr wrote in post #18392039 (external link)
i'm throwing in something here that probably isn't relevant ? but made me think..

you own the console you purchased .. that is the physical gaming console.. how ever you don't own the Operating system , and so if they catch you hacking or modding for the purpose of cheating / gaining an advantage in online gaming .. they will brick your console...:lol:

so yes you own the console you bought , but the rights to use the OS are not permanent..
obviously with Cameras , it would be hard for them to brick it at will but , i'm curious how complicated the laws get their

and I think someone metioned something about Canon overheating if ML did do a 4k trick for 6d2 ..

with the current cameras ML supports still ,, Shooting RaW video would actually make the cameras over heat if not done properly ,, and as I recall it was not easy to do properly for a good while

In any case it doesn't appear ML is doing anything more since the 5d3 , 70d generation of cameras..

Gaming console? You mean someone can brick my Atari 2600?

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,027 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 01, 2017 19:54 |  #429

Yup, but they own the software in it and can easily impose penalties for hacking into their encryption.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,554 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose.

Jul 01, 2017 19:55 |  #430

ma11rats wrote in post #18392044 (external link)
Does anyone know if the 1Dc shoots 4k in a crop mode? Those bad boys still shoot 12FPS. Maybe I should save for one of those instead of the 1Dx. Then I know my pro camera would have some 'future proofing'

Most cinema cameras have super35 sized sensors which are actually smaller then the 1Dc's APS-H 4K size. It's not "crippling" a camera: it's a practical reason to stay with professional cinema standards.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 01, 2017 19:57 |  #431

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18392053 (external link)
The US Supreme Court patent ruling on reselling ink jet and toner cartridges is interesting and should eventually lead to other prescedent setting victories in other industries, but I'm certain we are not at the point that big ag will be affected.

As far as magic lantern is concerned, any lawsuit from Canon, whether frivolous or not would likely shut them down. Canon has herds of lawyers employed and on retainer. They could throw enough money at the situation that I suspect ML would have no choice except to capitulate, regardless of whether there was an actual case.

ML's greatest asset in keeping Canon off their back is the huge number of people that use their software. If Canon were to come down hard on this non commercial venture hordes of users would abandon the company on principle alone.

The outcry over crushing ML would make the whining over 6D product differentiation look like, um, well, whining over 6D product differentiation. lol

I disagree (without a law degree). If I own my camera, and Canon does not, Canon has no standing to claim that ANYTHING I DO TO MY CAMERA affects them one iota. From where I sit, that case would never get to court. Canon has no more right to claim damage than you do, if I choose to do something to my camera. Surely courts and lawyers will be busy for decades with this one.

FEChariot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,420 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 01, 2017 19:58 |  #432

Talley wrote in post #18391821 (external link)
I pooped today

You trying to get an upgrade from the title fairy?

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by idkdc.

Jul 01, 2017 19:58 |  #433

ma11rats wrote in post #18392044 (external link)

It's in a crop mode, but less cropped because the sensor is a lower MP count. You would lose PDAF Autofocus and high ISO improvements but gain C Log and possibly better HDMI outputs and bit rates...I don't recall specifically as I skipped forward to the 1DXII's.

General consensus at the time was that you're better getting the 1DXII, but perhaps the 1DC has a decent price now. Also, if you're looking for a really sweet video camera, I would recommend just getting the C200 and a lower spec still camera (5DIV?) if you've budgeted for the 1DXII. I would have gone that route if the C200 was available at the time.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,027 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 01, 2017 20:00 |  #434

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18392053 (external link)

5D2 was a very popular cinema camera for many years up to even 2014 because of ML and their work. All film makers using the 5D2 had ML installed.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,005 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jul 01, 2017 20:01 |  #435

rantercsr wrote in post #18392039 (external link)

I'd guess that modding the OS is against the contract/user agreement for the online service. Precedent for modifying something you own is well settled, the new case that I believe bassat is referring to is in regards to selling empty cartridges to third parties. Lexmark was trying to prevent it, they lost. They do still have the right to enter into a contract with the end user that prevents them from selling the empty cartridge, but that is a seperate agreement outside of a simple purchase of a full cartridge.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

182,061 views & 948 likes for this thread
6d2 is here.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.