Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jun 2017 (Thursday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS Rebel SL2

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jul 03, 2017 14:51 |  #16

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18393391 (external link)
My only real complaint about the SL1 was the "rebel" button layout, the inaccessibility of the * button, so BBF was unusable for me,. etc. and the poky AF system.

Given the bodies size, I am not sure how it could be done better/differently for all.

But I agree that the twisty screen, wifi and of course the improved sensor make the SL2 a more compelling body. In fact the twisty screen and DPAF could go a long way towards alleviating my primary AF control concerns.

I agree the BBF button is not very conveniently located and it can trip you up that it is not where you would expect to find it if the SL1 just had a shrunk down button layout with the same basic configuration as its bigger siblings. But I find it quite usable.

It will be interesting to see how the twisty screen and DPAF contribute to ease of autofocus.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links
rantercsr
Goldmember
3,378 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 03, 2017 15:02 |  #17

I was thinking for a bit.. eh maybe not for me.. i already have the t4i.. how much smaller can it be?

I was at adorama picking up a lens todayand so i went over to look at m5/6.. and then i saw sl1( of course they ddint have the sl2)

And yes there is enougj size defference from the t4i for size to still be a reason for me atleast .

Its not priority , as im still figuiring out my lenses but definitely a contender for my outings when photos remain really casual.. plus maybe a little 90ex speedlight(i think thats what it called)

(Im slowly convincing my self i "need " the sl2:lol:

My portraits IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,556 posts
Gallery: 439 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 03, 2017 15:14 |  #18

I use the SL1 as a backup for my 7D2 when I go on photo trips. It has the 18-55mm STM mounted on it, so it also is a great camera for casual shooting when I don't want to take the heavier gear. And with the 18-55mm STM at hand, that lens gets pressed into service often as a normal range zoom on the 7D2.

It's been a few years now, so I will probably update to the SL2 in due time. I don't feel much urgency because the SL1 is still serving me well.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

PNPhotography
802 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 03, 2017 15:21 |  #19

I wish this would have come out 2 years ago.It seems about the same size as my Nikon D5500 which I use as my travel camera and really LOVE.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jul 03, 2017 15:31 |  #20

rantercsr wrote in post #18393414 (external link)
.. plus maybe a little 90ex speedlight(i think thats what it called)

(Im slowly convincing my self i "need " the sl2:lol:

Getting the right speedlight is not something that I've got sorted yet. The 430Ex is just out of scale with the camera (although it works very well).

A high priority for me is having a tilt/swivel head so that I can use bounce flash ... it makes all the difference as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what if anything is available on the market that is relatively small and light, and has a tilt/swivel head. I wouldn't mind if it had to be used only in manual mode.

David.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,556 posts
Gallery: 439 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 03, 2017 16:09 |  #21

DaviSto wrote in post #18393439 (external link)
Getting the right speedlight is not something that I've got sorted yet. The 430Ex is just out of scale with the camera (although it works very well).

A high priority for me is having a tilt/swivel head so that I can use bounce flash ... it makes all the difference as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what if anything is available on the market that is relatively small and light, and has a tilt/swivel head. I wouldn't mind if it had to be used only in manual mode.

There's the small 270EX II, but it only rotates up.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,378 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 03, 2017 16:20 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #22

That's the one i meant ,, not 90ex

yeah defintly if i'm getting a speedlight at minimum ineed it to be able to shoot up for bounce..

My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 03, 2017 16:39 |  #23

There is always the 320ex which is not a bad little flash

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,644 posts
Gallery: 169 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jul 03, 2017 16:51 |  #24

Godox TT350c/Flashpoint Zoom Mini R2 :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jul 03, 2017 17:25 |  #25

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18393502 (external link)
Godox TT350c/Flashpoint Zoom Mini R2 :)

That should do the business ... it looks the best option available. Hard to figure out just how small it is from the information I've been able to find. Anyone able to give me an idea of that, please?

David.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,537 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Jul 03, 2017 22:50 |  #26

I am not sure if those of you that like BBF know this, but you can swap the buttons around so that BBF is easier. There is a setting where you can swap the * and the AF point selection, i believe. That is how I set mine up anyways.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jul 04, 2017 03:57 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #27

I looked for something like that when I set up BBF on the SL1. Couldn't find it anywhere. I'll have to take another look.

David.

frugivore
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 04, 2017 06:31 |  #28

DaviSto wrote in post #18393518 (external link)
That should do the business ... it looks the best option available. Hard to figure out just how small it is from the information I've been able to find. Anyone able to give me an idea of that, please?

That's a sweet little flash. Sometimes you don't need the power of a big flash - just the directional lighting of one.

According to the specs, it's 200g and 140x62x38mm. To compare, the Canon 600RX-RT is 79.7 x 142.9 x 124.5mm and weighs more than double the Godox. It's the SL2 of speedlights!

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,965 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 04, 2017 14:54 |  #29

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18393391 (external link)
My only real complaint about the SL1 was the "rebel" button layout, the inaccessibility of the * button, so BBF was unusable for me,. etc. and the poky AF system.

Given the bodies size, I am not sure how it could be done better/differently for all.

But I agree that the twisty screen, wifi and of course the improved sensor make the SL2 a more compelling body. In fact the twisty screen and DPAF could go a long way towards alleviating my primary AF control concerns.

So BBF is mappable on these SL series. Good to know! These * are just as inaccessible as the M series. Had to move my thumb all the way out to get to it.

Hoping for M5/6 type ISO performance on this SL2!

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,378 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 04, 2017 16:36 |  #30

kaitanium wrote in post #18394183 (external link)
So BBF is mappable on these SL series. Good to know! These * are just as inaccessible as the M series. Had to move my thumb all the way out to get to it.

Hoping for M5/6 type ISO performance on this SL2!

Me too ..
i mean should be , as from what i read its the same 80D sensor .. which i think all the recent Aps-c Cameras share

sponsored links

29,471 views & 25 likes for this thread
Canon EOS Rebel SL2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.