Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 09:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop CC - amazed... and not

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 08, 2017 09:45 |  #1

I received a discount and subscribed to PS CC a while back mainly for access to the ACR 2012 engine. I haven't really used PS much, and deplore LR. Until a couple days ago.

I was doing panoramas, but was not on the machine with my trusted PTgui. So I tried PS CC photomerge.

I was amazed! The ease of use, the stitching, and mostly the content-aware fill of transparent areas. It worked brilliantly. Adobe has come a long way.

So while in it, I thought I would try the PS CC HDR function. Horrible. Not even close. Adobe has a long way to go on that one.

Just my perceptions of CC.

(And yes, ACR 2012 was worth it alone. Miles above the 2010 engine.)

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 08, 2017 11:01 |  #2

I use Photomerge quite a bit....have for a long time. You're right, easy peazy.....great results.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Picture North Carolina.

Jul 08, 2017 14:49 |  #3

saea501 wrote in post #18397088 (external link)
I use Photomerge quite a bit....have for a long time. You're right, easy peazy.....great results.

I have PTgui v9.1.8 (or 9.8.1 - forgot) which is about 4 years old. I was going to upgrade, but then ran across the miraculous photomerge. I emailed PTgui today asking them about an upgrade and asking the tough question if they had anything to compete with the brilliant photomerge. (No reason to upgrade if they don't). We'll see what they say. ;-)a

Stiga
Cream of the Crop
5,836 posts
Gallery: 827 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 09, 2017 12:18 |  #4

For folk who are envious of your CC PS photomerge, try Microsft ICE. It is free and very easy to use and the results are just as good as PS CC.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 10, 2017 01:44 |  #5

I always used the PS panoramic merge for the odd occasions that I do them. What I have been really impressed with it the RAW merge to pano that is now part of LR, and I guess ACR too. It ends up giving you a merged DNG file, so that the data is still RAW. one of the things it does that I really like is where there are moving objects in the scene, such as people moving about, it does it's best to remove them from the images. The only thing you cant do is go in and adjust the alignment of the sections manually. Still for every image that I have thrown at it I prefer the results from this to either PS CS 5's implementation, or my quick trials of MS ICE.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Picture North Carolina. (2 edits in all)

Jul 10, 2017 08:19 |  #6

Stiga wrote in post #18397890 (external link)
For folk who are envious of your CC PS photomerge, try Microsft ICE. It is free and very easy to use and the results are just as good as PS CC.

I'll give it a try. Out of curiosity I did some online research. Hugin was on every top app list, and at or near the top of them. I've never used it. I'll give that a try, too.

BigAl007 wrote in post #18398380 (external link)
I always used the PS panoramic merge for the odd occasions that I do them. What I have been really impressed with it the RAW merge to pano that is now part of LR, and I guess ACR too. It ends up giving you a merged DNG file, so that the data is still RAW. one of the things it does that I really like is where there are moving objects in the scene, such as people moving about, it does it's best to remove them from the images. The only thing you cant do is go in and adjust the alignment of the sections manually. Still for every image that I have thrown at it I prefer the results from this to either PS CS 5's implementation, or my quick trials of MS ICE.
Alan

As a person who also uses PS CS5 more than CC, I can say the pano-merge in CS5 and CC is not in the same universe. Vast improvements were made since CS5.

Still, I did not know that about RAW merges. Thanks. I'll give that a try, too. I can see where output that maintain a raw format would be very useful.

Edit: I don't do many panos either. In the fine art arena they don't sell well and are extremely hard to display online.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 10, 2017 11:39 |  #7

Just get Micosoft ICE. You'll be happy.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 10, 2017 16:31 |  #8

kjonnnn wrote in post #18398613 (external link)
Just get Micosoft ICE. You'll be happy.

Since I already have LR/ACR and this is a feature, I thought I would run a comparative test between LR/ACR and ICE in doing a merge on a three image off the cuff hand held series of shots. In each case the three CR2 files were merged and processed only in the respective programs. In the case of ICE I saved the image to a PSD file and opened in PS. For the DNG version it was processed in LR/ACR and opened to PS. I then ran identical export processes on both images. I did it that way so that the JPEG conversion would be identical in both cases.

The LR/ACR image

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Compared to the ICE image

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I would say that if you want to start from a RAW file, and maintain that level of quality/processability then the Adobe RAW photomerge option has a lot going for it. If you are already using LR/ACR as your RAW editor you can create the merged image while retaining all of the original camera data for your normal RAW workflow. It looks to me as if ICE simply pulls the JPEG preview out of the file and uses that. Not a great option if you use the Canon Faithful picture style, with contrast and sharpness turned right down, to get an in camera histogram close to the RAW data, as I do.

ICE is fine when working with RGB files, but as someone who uses LR and has a workflow where 98%+ of images remain only as RAW files on my local computer, the merge to DNG option is a much better one, since for a start I don't need to set an image bit depth, or colour space until I export the finished image. The option to build a static panorama from a video clip seems like an interesting option, especially if it will do it from 4K video. This is why I keep ICE on my machine, even if I don't use it very often.

One thing I noted when saving to PSD from ICE, if you include all of the layers, it places the final composite layer at the bottom of the layer stack, so you only see the stack of original image layers, without the application of the blending. I initially thought there was something wrong with the image file in PS compared to that seen in the ICE window.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 11, 2017 09:09 |  #9

For HDR, I stick with Aurora.

raksphoto
459 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by raksphoto.

Jul 17, 2017 22:57 |  #10

Purchased Pixelmator outright for macOS and iOS. No more renting software from Adobe. In addition, Canon's DPP is rather powerful for CR2 processing, and is free.

7D Mk II | 70D | 7D | 1D Mk III
EF-S 10-18mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |
EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 50-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II | EF 70-200mm f/4L |
EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 35mm f/1.4L
The main camera gear I use

sponsored links

3,382 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop CC - amazed... and not
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.