Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 30 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photobucket Goes Rogue

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,182 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 11, 2017 12:54 |  #136

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18399565 (external link)
IMGUR scares me,, I have always had a gut reaction that it would end up being a massive spam site.

I Ifound IMGUR less initially scary than ImgBB with its need to download something ('is it malware?') in light of the total lack of information the site

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Wilt
40,182 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 11, 2017 12:58 |  #137

NBEast wrote in post #18399534 (external link)
Jumping from Free to $400/yr served nobody's interests. What; .0001% will bite? The rest are simply motivated to avoid them like the plague. Surely they'll go out of business before the $400/yr renewals arrive.

Agree, their approach is sheer stupidity on display for all to see.
They don't list their membership stats, but one would thing that membership overall going up a flat amount across the full membership would be far more tolerable that larceny.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,384 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 11 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jul 11, 2017 13:18 |  #138

Wilt wrote in post #18399576 (external link)
I Ifound IMGUR less initially scary than ImgBB with its need to download something ('is it malware?') in light of the total lack of information the site

I'm not at all familiar with ImgBB.

The first of many times I ran into Imgur was links to images on Reddit. It seems to be a favorite there.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Stiga
Goldmember
3,550 posts
Gallery: 739 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 11, 2017 13:25 |  #139

Wilt wrote in post #18399582 (external link)
Agree, their approach is sheer stupidity on display for all to see.
They don't list their membership stats, but one would thing that membership overall going up a flat amount across the full membership would be far more tolerable that larceny.

Quantc shows some very interesting statistics for PB, have a look here (external link).

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 11, 2017 13:32 |  #140

I use PB as my main image host for my reviews and news on my site. I had my PB account to automatically renew each year and thankfully, my credit card information was out of date so I got a notice to update it. I haven't gotten a notice yet requiring me to upgrade because of 3rd party hosting but I have since downloaded all my albums and saved it to a external harddrive. I signed up with a web host and uploaded all my images and now exclusively using it as my web host for all my images. I think I'm paying slightly more for less storage but I don't have to deal with PB's bs.

I was worried about having to update 1000+ posts manually but I was able to find a script that searched all my posts and did a "find and replace" automatically. Saved me hours!

Another site I temporarily use for other images such as eBay or quick uploads is www.tinypic.com (external link). It's really generic and any images uploaded get a unique file name. I wish they would keep the original filename but its free.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,384 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 11, 2017 13:39 |  #141

Stiga wrote in post #18399622 (external link)
Quantc shows some very interesting statistics for PB, have a look here (external link).

Almost looks like an act of suicide :shock:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,273 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 11, 2017 13:49 |  #142

Desktop traffic is up (due to people downloading images) and mobile usage is down (due to images no longer being available or nobody taking pictures and uploading any more).

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Wilt
40,182 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Jul 11, 2017 13:49 |  #143

Stiga wrote in post #18399622 (external link)

Thx. So 5.4 Million unique people worldwide visited PB over 30 days. Assuming that statistic was valid, what I would like to know is how many PB members are there, who each might tolerate a fee per year which is $10 more annually than the current revenue they bring to PB due to membership fees.

And I question, just how did Quantc ever figure out

• what car someone as haffinity to? or the age of the vehicle I own?
  • or which political party affiliation (they counted Green Party members or Libertarians as 'Independents', what about no-Party affiliation)?
  • and they never asked how many kids in my household, yet they present statistics on that?!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,273 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited 11 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Jul 11, 2017 13:53 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #144

I assume you program the quantification into your app, so presumable PB has updates to quantcast each time photos are uploaded, metadata is changed against the images, and each visit to an image. It could be nothing more than a rest API call on every PUT/POST for images and metadata to PB, and an rest API call on every GET.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Wilt
40,182 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt.

Jul 11, 2017 13:59 |  #145

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18399654 (external link)
I assume you program the quantification into your app, so presumable PB has updates to quantcast each time photos are uploaded, metadata is changed against the images, and each visit to an image. It could be nothing more than a rest API call on every PUT/POST for images and metadata to PB, and an rest API call on every GET.

How do they extract information which I have never put into any profile in my computer, and which no one outside of the census (which was ink on paper, not a computer entry to a web site) has seen...I know which profile questions I never answer even in marketing surveys, with the sole exception of census information...which is now years old and do not reflect current personal status.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 11, 2017 14:10 |  #146

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18399646 (external link)
Desktop traffic is up (due to people downloading images) and mobile usage is down (due to images no longer being available or nobody taking pictures and uploading any more).

hell 1 million are mine. Took me that many times to get the download folder to work right.

Go through 50 ads and pop ups. Click the "download whole folder" button, wait for more ads to play as it gets my files "ready", files ready for download, click the download button....OOOOPS there was a problem reload page and try again or try again later.

Go through 50 ads and pop ups. Click the "download whole folder" button, wait for more ads to play as it gets my files "ready", files ready for download, click the download button....OOOOPS there was a problem reload page and try again or try again later.

Go through 50 ads and pop ups. Click the "download whole folder" button, wait for more ads to play as it gets my files "ready", files ready for download, click the download button....SUCCESS

Repeat for the other 17 folders

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,683 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 11, 2017 14:11 |  #147

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18399376 (external link)
I also use Smugmug (referral link (external link)) for $40 a year and they allow hot linking, and have a ton of storage.

Thanks. I checked out the site. Their introductory pages have as the next step a free two-week trial. Before jumping in, I'd like to see a list of options they offer, with prices.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18399540 (external link)
If you only host pictures here on POTN, then just upload them to Pekka's server, and throw him a bit of cash each year as a donation.

That's what I've done since PB's big surprise. Found hundreds of PB images so far, replaced most, deleted some, threw cash. The disadvantage is the limit of two per post. Sometimes I need more than two to show something adequately. This is usually a process in natural history; one series tracked the development of a fungus, and there are others about caterpillars. For a series, the two-image limit conflicts with the rule against making too many posts on the same subject without requests from members.

What size donation does it take to pay for 100 images uploaded? Looking for a rough estimate here.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 11 months ago by Scoobert.

Jul 11, 2017 14:13 |  #148

Wilt wrote in post #18399648 (external link)
T Assuming that statistic was valid, what I would like to know is how many PB members are there, who each might tolerate a fee per year which is $10 more annually than the current revenue they bring to PB due to membership fees.

I dont know about others. But if PB would have said "Look its costing us more to host these images for you than we are making from ads. We have a $60.00 yearly subscription that would cover everything for you ad free". I would have signed up on the spot.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,384 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 11 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (5 edits in all)

Jul 11, 2017 14:16 |  #149

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18399646 (external link)
Desktop traffic is up ...

Not really, to the right click on a longer time span and see how far down it went before the slight rebound from people trying to see WTF..

You need to look at the 90 day and yearly to see how far the initial cliff drop was!
And scroll UP to see it in plain old overall traffic.

the catastrophic drop began June 8,. the 30 day does not show that.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 11, 2017 14:27 |  #150

Scoobert wrote in post #18399671 (external link)
hell 1 million are mine. Took me that many times to get the download folder to work right.

Go through 50 ads and pop ups. Click the "download whole folder" button, wait for more ads to play as it gets my files "ready", files ready for download, click the download button....SUCCESS

Repeat for the other 17 folders

The "downloading..." was stuck until I got the email saying it was ready to download. One thing I noticed is that the zipped folder does not include animated GIFs. If it was a static GIF, it downloaded fine but anything animated, did not. So I had to find the file and download it manually.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

sponsored links

61,006 views & 161 likes for this thread
Photobucket Goes Rogue
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.