Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 19 Jun 2017 (Monday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iMac Pro available Dec '17

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by shooterman.

Jun 19, 2017 16:02 |  #1

I want.

Hope this hasn't been posted. Did a search but came up with nuttin.

https://www.apple.com/​imac-pro/ (external link)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,716 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 22, 2017 19:51 |  #2

That looks awesome!

I would particularly like the 4TB SSD drive.

Only problem, it's still just a 27" monitor - I love my 5K 27" iMac, but would love it more if it was around 34 or 35 inches. This new release still being just 27" makes me fear that we will never get the really big 5K iMac that I have been longing for for so long.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,999 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2017 08:48 |  #3

This doesn't really answer many of the problems with the iMac though. You are still stuck with a very limited non-expandable form factor, to the point that you don't even have room for adding additional internal storage etc. Four Terabytes of fast storage is nice, but it's not necessarily the optimum storage paradigm, especially for those tasks that this system is intended for.

If you really want the ultimate in an all in one computer I would have thought that would be the child of an iMac and a Mac Mini. make the base of the unit laeger so that you have room to add additional storage etc internally, with direct access to the system bus. Thunderbolt might be the fastest peripheral connection bus yet, but nothing beats being on the system bus. Also at the point where you have to add devices in an external peripheral enclosure over an external serial bus you also cease to have an all in one system, which supposedly was the whole point of the iMac all along.

What is great to see is that Apple have finally released a wireless keyboard with an integrated numeric keypad. That was another thing that really annoyed me about the Mac world, Apple had a thing against anyone who was often inputting largish quantities of numerical data. Maybe we might even see a keypad incorporated in one of the larger Macbook Pro series, like you see in just about every Windows based laptop with a 15" or larger screen. If I'm inputting data to a laptop there is a very good chance I might even be using it on my lap, or in some other limited space where using an external wired keypad is going to be a problem.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 24, 2017 16:55 |  #4

I got the new 27" 5k iMac, I got the i5, but the 64gb version. I love it, but would be great if it had just a bit larger screen. I'm surprised at how it is noticeably faster than my 2014 5k iMac. I know all the stuff is faster, but I always thought you get to a point were it's not visibly faster. I notice an increase in speed with Lightroom and running filters on very large files in photoshop.

I wish Apple would put out a 27" 5k Cinema display, paired with my new iMac, that would be a perfect setup for me.

As far as the All-In-One, obviously there has been a big demand for it. I can't imagine needing more that 4 TBs of flash storage to work on a project. You could work on 9 hours of 4k video and still have 1TB left, I don't know of anyone that uses internal drives for long-term storage.

Gear
Website (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 24, 2017 17:39 |  #5

With any luck it'll perform nicely as a hair dryer.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,605 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 24, 2017 17:43 |  #6

ShotByTom wrote in post #18386067 (external link)
I wish Apple would put out a 27" 5k Cinema display, paired with my new iMac, that would be a perfect setup for me.

I am pretty sure that Apple said there would be one with the introduction of the new Mac Pro coming possibly next year.

-- Don Fuller --
I am a veteran. At seventeen I wrote a blank check payable to the "United States of America" for an amount up to and including my life.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,716 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 24, 2017 19:06 |  #7

ShotByTom wrote in post #18386067 (external link)
I got the new 27" 5k iMac, I got the i5, but the 64gb version. I love it, but would be great if it had just a bit larger screen.

I am a little confused by what you have said.

At first, you say that you love your 27" iMac, but wish that it had a larger screen. . Then you say that a 27" cinema screen would be the perfect setup. . So on one hand it sounds like you would like something bigger than 27", but then on the other hand it sounds like you think the 27" size is perfect. . Could you please resolve these statements?

Thanks

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 26, 2017 07:30 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #8

What I am saying is that I love the all-in-one iMac, but wish it had an option for a 32" display. Since that size isn't available, adding a 27" Cinema display to the 27" iMac (dual 27" 5k monitors) would be, in my opinion, the perfect setup.

I've become used to having all the tools on one monitor and the full image on the other, using an external monitor with my macBook Pro. I do fine detail editing with the Apple Pencil and larger iPad Pro.

Gear
Website (external link)

tomstephens89
55 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by tomstephens89.

Jun 26, 2017 08:58 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #18385009 (external link)
This doesn't really answer many of the problems with the iMac though. You are still stuck with a very limited non-expandable form factor, to the point that you don't even have room for adding additional internal storage etc. Four Terabytes of fast storage is nice, but it's not necessarily the optimum storage paradigm, especially for those tasks that this system is intended for.

If you really want the ultimate in an all in one computer I would have thought that would be the child of an iMac and a Mac Mini. make the base of the unit laeger so that you have room to add additional storage etc internally, with direct access to the system bus. Thunderbolt might be the fastest peripheral connection bus yet, but nothing beats being on the system bus. Also at the point where you have to add devices in an external peripheral enclosure over an external serial bus you also cease to have an all in one system, which supposedly was the whole point of the iMac all along.

What is great to see is that Apple have finally released a wireless keyboard with an integrated numeric keypad. That was another thing that really annoyed me about the Mac world, Apple had a thing against anyone who was often inputting largish quantities of numerical data. Maybe we might even see a keypad incorporated in one of the larger Macbook Pro series, like you see in just about every Windows based laptop with a 15" or larger screen. If I'm inputting data to a laptop there is a very good chance I might even be using it on my lap, or in some other limited space where using an external wired keypad is going to be a problem.

Alan

Thunderbolt provides direct access to the PCI-E bus and with Thunderbolt 3 providing 40Gbit/s bandwidth, you are essentially taking full advantage of that fact.

We are in a disposable world now as far as computers and devices are concerned. I used to love building and upgrading PC's years back, but now id much rather have a great looking, great performing laptop like a macbook pro or an all in one iMac that I just replace every few years.

Thanks to advances in connectivity such as Thunderbolt and USB 3.1, I know I can simply attach extra storage and peripherals without a performance hit.

Also, I think 27" is the perfect size for a monitor around the 4k/5k resolution mark. Good pixel density and good size/viewing distance ratio. If you go bigger, you're going to need more resolution, but more importantly, you will have to start turning your head when using your computer screen... Which is bad.

See my flickr profile here (external link)
Canon 5DSR | Canon 16-35 F4L | Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART

Nick5
Goldmember
3,101 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 07, 2017 08:57 |  #10

I'm about to get a new 27" 2TB iMac this weekend. Can't complain too much coming from my old 24" iMac FW 800.......

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,716 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 08, 2017 09:24 |  #11

Nick5 wrote in post #18396177 (external link)
I'm about to get a new 27" 2TB iMac this weekend. Can't complain too much coming from my old 24" iMac FW 800.......

Hey - that's what I did a couple years ago - moved from a 2008 24" iMac to a new 27". The difference is significant, and I think you'll enjoy the upgrade.

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jul 12, 2017 10:36 |  #12

Nick5 wrote in post #18396177 (external link)

Ine 2 years of using a 27" you'll find them to be too little LOL. You get spoiled!!!! I'm running 2 27" Mac Displays on my MAC PRO and I'm just craving more :(. Too bad Mac is out of the display business now :(

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links

2,085 views & 6 likes for this thread
iMac Pro available Dec '17
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.