Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone using ON1 Photo Raw 2017 for RAW development?

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 15, 2017 11:10 |  #1

Anyone using ON1 Photo Raw for RAW development in place of ACR, or the Canon or Nikon product?

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 15, 2017 11:14 |  #2

Earlier this month I started a poll about RAW convertors vs. brand of camera, and three ON1 users responded in the poll so far.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1483289

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 15, 2017 20:01 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #3

Did they every bring in auto lens corrections?

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,145 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 15, 2017 20:16 |  #4

MCAsan wrote in post #18402948 (external link)

Yes.

Mark

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 16, 2017 04:49 |  #5

MCAsan wrote in post #18402948 (external link)

Yes, but without the residual aberrations compensation that DPP and DxO Optics do.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 16, 2017 08:46 as a reply to  @ agedbriar's post |  #6

Sounds like they are not quite there yet on lens corrections. It should be an interesting package if they ever address the huge missing import features (such as you have in Photo mechanic) and get Layers to be non-destructive. Updating Layers was on their roadmap but no date promised.

rrblint
22,145 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 16, 2017 11:13 |  #7

agedbriar wrote in post #18403139 (external link)
Yes, but without the residual aberrations compensation that DPP and DxO Optics do.

It's getting better, but DXO(even at version 8) is still far superior.

Mark

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 16, 2017 14:22 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #8

Comparing DxO Optics to all of Photo RAW is a bit of mismatch. DxO Optics is comparable to Photo RAW Browser and Develop module. But DxO Optics does not have anything like Photo RAW Effects or Layers Modules.

I agree DxO Optics does a great job as a raw converter and has very good global noise reduction. But is very much missing serious local adjustment tools.

rrblint
22,145 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 16, 2017 14:30 |  #9

MCAsan wrote in post #18403431 (external link)
Comparing DxO Optics to all of Photo RAW is a bit of mismatch. DxO Optics is comparable to Photo RAW Browser and Develop module. But DxO Optics does not have anything like Photo RAW Effects or Layers Modules.

I agree DxO Optics does a great job as a raw converter and has very good global noise reduction. But is very much missing serious local adjustment tools.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was referring only to the lens corrections which was the original topic of discussion. Yes, of course, Onone PhotoRaw has many more aspects to offer than just being a raw processor.

Mark

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,720 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 16, 2017 16:52 |  #10

On One 2017.5 is still slow and appears to be a solution for folks who like adding heavy editing and effects to their images in an all-in-one environment. The conversion quality is ok and it appears like they are getting a better handle on highlights, but the switching back and forth amongst the various modules is clunky, despite being touted as a unified editing environment. This goes for raw images, I have not tried it with JPEG/TIFF images.

kirk

Kirk
---

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by MCAsan.

Jul 16, 2017 17:18 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #11

Photo RAW stops me dead at the beginning of the workflow. There are no features to import files from cards, do any desired renaming, fill out IPTC or other fields, create folders and subfolders as needed, and copy the images. How do they expect that to be done? It is beyond using Finder/Explorer. Photo Mechanic does a great job at all that....at $150.

russellsnr2
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 18, 2017 09:47 |  #12

Hi, I have mentioned this on several other forums/sites but I have been using On1 for a few years on a Windows computer and it is usless!!
I have had a lot of problems with crashes/freezing up during PP. I do have the RAW 2017 installed now and still suffer the same fate, spoken to and emailed On1 many times and followed advice (New graphics,SSD, 16GB Ram from 8GB etc,etc) still no go for me. I do have still have Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 6 and they run fine along side NIK but ON1 just does not want to work!!!
Russ

Many Thanks,
Russell.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Picture North Carolina with reason 'spheling'.

Jul 19, 2017 06:19 |  #13

russellsnr2 wrote in post #18404831 (external link)
Hi, I have mentioned this on several other forums/sites but I have been using On1 for a few years on a Windows computer and it is usless!!
I have had a lot of problems with crashes/freezing up during PP. I do have the RAW 2017 installed now and still suffer the same fate, spoken to and emailed On1 many times and followed advice (New graphics,SSD, 16GB Ram from 8GB etc,etc) still no go for me. I do have still have Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 6 and they run fine along side NIK but ON1 just does not want to work!!!
Russ

Ditto. I only purchased ON1 Photo Raw because I was a registered user for the 10.5 suite and did not want to interrupt the stream.

If I may color my response with my own opinion, I will simply say ON1 Photo Raw 2017 is a total piece of crap. In every respect.

I never use it to develop RAWs, and never use it for PP. That's why I asked the question. I only use it for resizing, and at that, I go back to the old 10.5 suite.

For RAW development, ACR with the 2012 engine runs circles around ON1.

I know nothing about the following because I have not researched it. Nor will I. But if you notice ON1 spends lots more time and money promoting their so-called personalized touch Pro program than they do the RAW app. I am wondering if ON1, too, has realized Photo RAW has been a performance and marketing failure, and that the revenues from the PRO programs are their main focus to keep the company alive.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links

3,047 views & 1 like for this thread
Anyone using ON1 Photo Raw 2017 for RAW development?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.