Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Jul 2017 (Friday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Places to compete for awards?

icor1031
887 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 21, 2017 12:29 |  #1

Where are good places to sign up so I can try to win "awards" which I can then mention on my website/FB page?

I know of pixoto, modelmayhem, and I know of a local photography club.

Suggest more websites, please?

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135/2 || Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 || Sigma 85/1.4 ART || Helios 44-2 58/2 || Sigma 50/1.4 Art || Canon 24/2.8 || Rokinon 14/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,468 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 21, 2017 13:47 |  #2

icor1031 wrote in post #18407699 (external link)
Where are good places to sign up so I can try to win "awards" which I can then mention on my website/FB page?

The Royal Photographic Society

British Institute of Professional Photography

Photographic Alliance of Great Britain

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,218 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 21, 2017 13:48 |  #3

National Geographic

But it depends on what kind of photography you do.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
887 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 21, 2017 14:20 |  #4

OhLook wrote in post #18407748 (external link)
National Geographic

But it depends on what kind of photography you do.

Mostly portraits, but I have some wildlife.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135/2 || Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 || Sigma 85/1.4 ART || Helios 44-2 58/2 || Sigma 50/1.4 Art || Canon 24/2.8 || Rokinon 14/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,217 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 22, 2017 00:04 |  #5

Not these places.... all the places John and OhLook mentioned. Awards are only worth something if they come from a body that is itself worth something.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 22, 2017 07:33 |  #6

At one point, I may have already been a winner of the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. But I didn't find out if I was in fact the winner or not. Still, it's something I like to mention in interviews.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 22, 2017 09:31 |  #7

The local photography club is probably worth joining and competing in. However, clubs vary in character enormously so you need to find one that you like. Some can be very cliquey and revolve around old blokes wanting to show off their gear, others are based more around the syllabus - members show up, watch the evenings talk then bugger off home again. However, many camera clubs have a great social side and arrange trips out (both as a club or just a couple of members going on a trip out together) which can help generate ideas, the picking up of tips and also get you out there when you might otherwise not bother.

On the competition side, a well run club monthly comp is well worth entering. Not only for trying to win each comp, but also the fun of the points race over the year for the big title. Another bonus is that most clubs use independent judges, who will critique each image, this helps refine your images in small ways. More crucially, if you are looking at entering bigger comps, it helps you understand what judges are looking for. I don't know where you are based, but suspect that you are not from the UK (going by the "T3i" in your gear list) so things may differ somewhat where you are. Over here, clubs are all affiliated to the national body (PAGB) and are grouped into regional areas within that. As well as competing at local club level, you also get to compete as part of your clubs entries into regional interclub comps. Some regions also do a big individuals comp, where you compete with just your own images against the members of all the regional clubs (and there can be a lot, my old region had just 20 clubs, where I live now there are 96, I think). I was never into competition photography but entered a couple of my local clubs comps and did quite well. One of my shots was entered as part of the club entry at the regional battle and took the best digital image trophy on the day. Well, best image from the best shots from all the clubs (this was the 20 clubs, covering North Wales) was a big achievement in my eyes and I decided to enter more comps from then on. That shot was also chosen by the North Wales body to represent them at national level (me- proud again to be chosen) where it failed miserably. Learn to grow a thick skin in comp world, some judges will love a shot, whilst others can hate it. It is important to remember that any judgement is just that persons opinion, don't let a bad result put you off, the same image could do really well next time out, assuming you are choosing good standard work to enter.

OK, so you want to have achievements (awards) to mention on your website. Local club comps don't rank very highly in the grand scheme of things, the same can be said of the websites you mention. Regional and national comps carry some bragging rights, but if you want to do things properly you might want to aim for distinctions (i.e. letters after your name) not the ones you can buy by joining a trade group, but ones that have to be earned. You can gain these by either producing a panel of images and presenting it to a well respected body for judging. Over here that would include the RPS and PAGB, both of which do a stepped system where you can go for higher distinctions as you progress. I am sure that there are similar national organisations in your country.

The other route to distinctions is via national and international salons / exhibitions. Nationally we have the BPE (British Photographic Exhibitions) which hosts around 20 national exhibitions a year, internationally the main body is the FIAP (International Federation of the Photographic Arts, yes I know the letters are in the "wrong" order, the actual title is in French but I can't spell it, just the English version) which hosts a lot more, spread around the world. There are others and there is at least one US national equivalent. The distinctions are hard to attain, the standard of images in these salons is high and you need to accrue a fair number of acceptances to get the first level, after that you need to not only get acceptances but be gaining awards as well.

Every salon has a fair few awards available from the medals at the top down to ribbons, or similar, for entries that are judged highly but miss out on the big ones. Personally, I have never gained an award at BPE or FIAP level, but I am thrilled just to get an image accepted as the standard is high and the vast majority of entries get rejected. Each salon has a number of categories, which vary from event to event and normally has a print section and a digital image section, although some are print only and some pdi only. You can pick and choose which you enter, there is no need to enter all, pdi entries are simpler and cheaper as you don't have to send mounted prints through the post but do read the submission requirements as the size can vary (BPE has a standard size, which is great, FIAP varies a lot depending on the country holding the exhibition which can be a pain). Obviously you don't have to enter every round, just pick and choose the ones you want to enter.

You can google BPE salons, FIAP salons etc. to get an idea of the standard, many exhibitions have the images online afterwards. Also to check out panels for PAGB / RPS you can google "CPAGB panel", or DPAGB / MPAGB for higher levels, and LRPS / ARPS / FRPS panel to see entries posted by individuals who have gained the distinction.

Googling should bring up your local national bodies, looking at FIAP events will also give the US body as they often cohost and US entrants can gain points towards both bodies distinctions I believe (although I have never looked into that, not being American).

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 22, 2017 09:33 |  #8

How about just posting some of your better/best photos on your website/FB page?

FWIW, I Googled 'photo contest' and got 28,800,000 hits. My guess is that something on that list will be within reason.

sponsored links

1,701 views & 5 likes for this thread
Places to compete for awards?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.