Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 02:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

She Devils Onlooker

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 19, 2017 02:49 |  #1

As I was shooting the She Devils, I glanced backwards and caught this onlooker with a steely expression also watching the drama unfold. I had the impression that she was somehow involved with the She Devils because of her expression of disgust. I thought that she would make a great candid portrait so I got a capture of her. In the first shot you can see the drama action reflected in the window glass. In the second shot, she had directed her steely gaze at me. This is not a women I'd want to tangle with.
Question: In the second shot, does the guy munching a sandwich ruin it?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,628 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 19, 2017 10:35 |  #2

Since image editing is OK, I've done a quick edit to show what I'd do. To emphasize her, I'd crop in more (it is busier on the left side of the frame vs right). Also applied very slight vignetting:

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,913 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 19, 2017 11:42 |  #3

Put the head from the first image onto the second. Make wide crop /16:9/ by adding more to the right side. Bam!

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 19, 2017 13:19 |  #4

davesrose wrote in post #18405847 (external link)
Since image editing is OK, I've done a quick edit to show what I'd do. To emphasize her, I'd crop in more (it is busier on the left side of the frame vs right). Also applied very slight vignetting:

Thanks for your critique and edit. That crop looks good, but I'd still like to know if the guy's image spoils the shot.

olafs osh wrote in post #18405919 (external link)
Put the head from the first image onto the second. Make wide crop /16:9/ by adding more to the right side. Bam!

Head-swapping would be an interesting exercise in editing. Good idea; but since both shots were crops, I think I achieved that look by re-cropping, darkening the right and left and boosting contrast except for her arms where I reduced clarity. How does this work?

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,628 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 19, 2017 14:52 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #5

I like it! Only critique I might have is her left arm: seems to have a bit of a halo to it.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,886 posts
Gallery: 278 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 19, 2017 15:04 |  #6

What a powerful woman. I especially like the second shot because of the pose and how she looks straight at us. As to the man eating in the background, I didn't even see him. I don't think he ruins the shot or even distracts the viewer because the lady is so powerful that all attention immediately goes to her. Well, my attention did anyway. :)

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by DaviSto.

Jul 19, 2017 15:21 |  #7

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18406078 (external link)
What a powerful woman. I especially like the second shot because of the pose and how she looks straight at us. As to the man eating in the background, I didn't even see him. I don't think he ruins the shot or even distracts the viewer because the lady is so powerful that all attention immediately goes to her. Well, my attention did anyway. :)

Yes ... I think it's a fantastic portrait because she makes such a superb subject and it is a great and very expressive natural pose.

It helps that she is a really, really attractive woman (well, I think so), of course. Proves that you don't have to be in your twenties to be great looking and female. She's irritated about something but the overall mood of the picture is totally upbeat. There's tons of personality conveyed by this image. You feel like she is somebody it would be interesting to meet.

The 'man eating' hardly enters into things.

Get the crop right and this photo is an absolute winner.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 19, 2017 16:57 |  #8

I like the last edit c/o Olafs suggestion. I think the darkening on the right and lightening of arms is a bit OTT.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 22, 2017 03:06 |  #9

davesrose wrote in post #18406073 (external link)
I like it! Only critique I might have is her left arm: seems to have a bit of a halo to it.

Thanks for the critique. I think I've fixed that now.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18406078 (external link)

Thanks Levina. I like both shots; but like you, I lean toward the eye contact even though it's technically not a candid. The guy still bothers me though.

DaviSto wrote in post #18406089 (external link)
Yes ... I think it's a fantastic portrait because she makes such a superb subject and it is a great and very expressive natural pose.

It helps that she is a really, really attractive woman (well, I think so), of course. Proves that you don't have to be in your twenties to be great looking and female. She's irritated about something but the overall mood of the picture is totally upbeat. There's tons of personality conveyed by this image. You feel like she is somebody it would be interesting to meet.

The 'man eating' hardly enters into things.

Get the crop right and this photo is an absolute winner.

I agree about this woman being really, really attractive. The man bugged me and then as I looked more, the towel roll bugged me. So I decided to take 'em both out and put in a table and a helmet. How'd I do?

Martin Dixon wrote in post #18406142 (external link)
I like the last edit c/o Olafs suggestion. I think the darkening on the right and lightening of arms is a bit OTT.

I agree and I fixed both. Thanks Martin. Here's my last edit.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

chevyzen
128 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 22, 2017 07:09 |  #10

I didn't even notice the guy until I had to look, and even then, every time I looked I saw her. She easily dominates the photo for a lot of different reasons already mentioned. The helmet looks out of place in this last one to me.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,989 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 22, 2017 10:01 |  #11

The paper towels were distracting, but now the helmet is. It has too much detail. And I don't get the point of having the expanse of neg space at the right.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 23, 2017 17:25 |  #12

chevyzen wrote in post #18408317 (external link)
I didn't even notice the guy until I had to look, and even then, every time I looked I saw her. She easily dominates the photo for a lot of different reasons already mentioned. The helmet looks out of place in this last one to me.

Thanks Chevyzen. I wonder if you had not seen the first shots and had only seen the one with the helmet, would you say the helmet looks out of place? I kind of had the same feeling when I pasted it in; but the more I look at it (after darkening it) the more natural it seems.

OhLook wrote in post #18408423 (external link)
The paper towels were distracting, but now the helmet is. It has too much detail. And I don't get the point of having the expanse of neg space at the right.

Good point on neg space. Just force of habit. In the other pic where she's looking away, it makes sense. I darkened the helmet to draw less attention to it.

I really like both photos for different reasons, so I'm inclined to make each one as good as possible. Thanks for your and everyone's help.

HOSTED PHOTO

I fantasized that she was reaching into her purse to draw a gun.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by DaviSto.

Jul 23, 2017 17:38 |  #13

Qbx wrote in post #18409434 (external link)
Thanks Chevyzen. I wonder if you had not seen the first shots and had only seen the one with the helmet, would you say the helmet looks out of place? I kind of had the same feeling when I pasted it in; but the more I look at it (after darkening it) the more natural it seems.

Good point on neg space. Just force of habit. In the other pic where she's looking away, it makes sense. I darkened the helmet to draw less attention to it.

I really like both photos for different reasons, so I'm inclined to make each one as good as possible. Thanks for your and everyone's help.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Qbx in
./showthread.php?p=184​09434&i=i80238881
forum: Critique Corner

I fantasized that she was reaching into her purse to draw a gun.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Qbx in
./showthread.php?p=184​09434&i=i262109917
forum: Critique Corner

I really like both photos too ... although especially no. 2. And, in your shoes, I'd be prepared to put a good deal of effort into making the very best I could out of them.

But ... the bike helmet doesn't work for me, I'm afraid. It looks pasted in. I'd still focus mainly on just deemphasizing the sandwich eater and (especially) the kitchen roll.

How far is this place away for you? One option would be to go there again at a quiet time and get a clean shot of the lower background including the signage from just about the same spot (with a nice orderly empty table). Then you could layer in a completely clean background.

I do think the photos are worth a fair amount of work.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 23, 2017 18:30 |  #14

Last is my favorite.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

chevyzen
128 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 23, 2017 20:58 |  #15

DaviSto wrote in post #18409445 (external link)
I really like both photos too ... although especially no. 2. And, in your shoes, I'd be prepared to put a good deal of effort into making the very best I could out of them.

But ... the bike helmet doesn't work for me, I'm afraid. It looks pasted in. I'd still focus mainly on just deemphasizing the sandwich eater and (especially) the kitchen roll.

How far is this place away for you? One option would be to go there again at a quiet time and get a clean shot of the lower background including the signage from just about the same spot (with a nice orderly empty table). Then you could layer in a completely clean background.

I do think the photos are worth a fair amount of work.

I agree with all of ^^^

the helmet toned down is better, but it still looks added in after to me. Maybe because I know it is.

sponsored links

2,889 views & 8 likes for this thread
She Devils Onlooker
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.