Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,738 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 25, 2017 05:14 |  #2446

digital_AM wrote in post #18410526 (external link)
How would a broad leaf of a house plant look under my macro lens? Well, here is the result. I wanted to capture the intricate paths and geometric shapes in the leaf. I used the light from my iphone to light under the leaf.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/X58E​dk  (external link) Multiple Paths (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WSnR​1n  (external link) The Road Less Traveled (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

I like the patterns within the patterns. These remind me of x-rays we used to take of sea shells, clocks, etc. They produce fascinating patterns too.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links
navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,738 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 25, 2017 05:18 |  #2447

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18410637 (external link)
First real use Batis 18mm.
Folks I work with asked why so few waterfalls in Iceland. My answer is that we have 300 waterfalls
within 50 miles of the cabin. Waterfalls, blah blah blah. Regardless, a nice use of the B18. Not a long walk at all but this is a lens I could carry for miles-

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WPCL​Y3  (external link) First real use Batis 18mm (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

That looks like a very cool and relaxing place. I can almost hear the soft rush of the water and smell the damp air.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,625 posts
Gallery: 366 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 25, 2017 05:44 |  #2448

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18410371 (external link)
We made it to Doughton Park this past weekend, imagine walking around shooting bee macros without dying of heat stroke-that's the beauty of elevation on the Blue Ridge. While there I gave the Milky Way a try with the FE12-24mm....not a preferred aperture at F4 and zooms are not what an astro type would grab but why not? Of course it would help a lot if I could learn to focus on stars :(
The light pollution is the city of North Wilksborough NC.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MedicineMan4040 in
./showthread.php?p=184​10371&i=i63775260
forum: Sony Cameras

I have learned that I am better off increasing my exposure in post rather than shooting at higher ISO. For the MW images I have done lately, I shoot them at 3200 and f/2.8, 20-25 seconds on the B18. 25 is pushing the limits for getting trails thanks to the 42 MP. But I find that I get less noise by increasing my exposure by +1 to +1.66 in post than if I had shot it at ISO 6400 or more. It is a tricky shot for sure...the whole group this weekend figured that out first hand. I found it more difficult for those with lenses that had no focus scale or infinity hard stop...why a lens has no focus scale is beyond me...but why one has no focus scale and no hard stop, well that makes it down right difficult!

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,071 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by David Arbogast.

Jul 25, 2017 07:25 |  #2449

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18410637 (external link)
First real use Batis 18mm.
Folks I work with asked why so few waterfalls in Iceland. My answer is that we have 300 waterfalls
within 50 miles of the cabin. Waterfalls, blah blah blah. Regardless, a nice use of the B18. Not a long walk at all but this is a lens I could carry for miles-

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WPCL​Y3  (external link) First real use Batis 18mm (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

SR app? Water looks smooth for just one second.

Blah, blah, blah on waterfalls because they are common in your area? That perfectly captures my own general disinterest in MW astrophotography: what could be more common than that? It's why I have near-contempt for most every photo I see of the moon. I would love to be surrounded by so many waterfalls because, unlike the worldwide ubiquitousness of the starry skies, waterfall abundance is a unique thing to your region.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 25, 2017 08:34 |  #2450

digital_AM wrote in post #18410526 (external link)
How would a broad leaf of a house plant look under my macro lens? Well, here is the result. I wanted to capture the intricate paths and geometric shapes in the leaf. I used the light from my iphone to light under the leaf.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/X58E​dk  (external link) Multiple Paths (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WSnR​1n  (external link) The Road Less Traveled (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

Really cool Alfredo. Nice

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,738 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 25, 2017 08:39 |  #2451

Just a couple of snapshots...After visiting a friend at the hospital yesterday, I stopped by my local VFW for a cold one. While there, I decided to partake in what they called an "Oklahoma fried onion burger". Messy, but not bad, if I do say so.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,625 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 25, 2017 09:08 |  #2452

David Arbogast wrote in post #18410723 (external link)
SR app? Water looks smooth for just one second.

Blah, blah, blah on waterfalls because they are common in your area? That perfectly captures my own general disinterest in MW astrophotography: what could be more common than that? It's why I have near-contempt for most every photo I see of the moon. I would love to be surrounded by so many waterfalls because, unlike the worldwide ubiquitousness of the starry skies, waterfall abundance is a unique thing to your region.

You need to visit the Transylvania County area of North Carolina...The Land of Waterfalls...

https://www.wncwaterfa​lls.info/map.html (external link)

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,071 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by David Arbogast. (4 edits in all)

Jul 25, 2017 09:57 |  #2453

TRhoads wrote in post #18410781 (external link)
You need to visit the Transylvania County area of North Carolina...The Land of Waterfalls...

https://www.wncwaterfa​lls.info/map.html (external link)

Yep, been there on three trips. Wish that was within 50 miles of me; that was the only thing I am referring to. There a only a few within even a 100 mile radius of me let alone 50 mile radius.

Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 25, 2017 10:02 |  #2454

I'm floating around an idea for a photography business, that doesn't involve actually taking photos. Brainstorming phase, but if anyone is interested in taking a survey for me please let me know!

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,283 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 25, 2017 10:08 |  #2455

davidfarina wrote in post #18410612 (external link)
So cool!

Thanks David. Glad you like it.

navydoc wrote in post #18410665 (external link)
I like the patterns within the patterns. These remind me of x-rays we used to take of sea shells, clocks, etc. They produce fascinating patterns too.

That's interesting Gene. Yes the more you look at the images, the more patterns you find. Some areas look like little neighborhoods from high above.

mystik610 wrote in post #18410760 (external link)
Really cool Alfredo. Nice

Thanks Carlo!

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,625 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 25, 2017 10:20 |  #2456

David Arbogast wrote in post #18410821 (external link)
Yep, been there on three trips. Wish that was within 50 miles of me; that was the only thing I am referring to. There a only a few within even a 100 mile radius of me let alone 50 mile radius.

ah, I see. Its a great place for sure.

mystik610 wrote in post #18410824 (external link)
I'm floating around an idea for a photography business, that doesn't involve actually taking photos. Brainstorming phase, but if anyone is interested in taking a survey for me please let me know!

I have a wild hair idea in my head too...just don't have the capital to do anything with it...I would take a survey...

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,115 posts
Gallery: 1709 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 25, 2017 10:22 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #2457

Yes sir, SR app, 8 exposures + PL filter....tried to get there early before the Sun could hit the water, Widow Creek Falls is in Stone Mtn State Park NC. David I hear you on Moon shots but getting a decent MW shot is a challenge for me and Sony gear, I think that is why I keep trying.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,071 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 25, 2017 10:37 |  #2458

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18410837 (external link)
Yes sir, SR app, 8 exposures + PL filter....tried to get there early before the Sun could hit the water, Widow Creek Falls is in Stone Mtn State Park NC. David I hear you on Moon shots but getting a decent MW shot is a challenge for me and Sony gear, I think that is why I keep trying.

Well put. Perhaps that is the main appeal in MW photography: getting a great image has a higher degree of difficulty, so it's all about embracing a challenge. I'll reflect on that a while. :)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,283 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 25, 2017 10:49 |  #2459

David Arbogast wrote in post #18410852 (external link)
Well put. Perhaps that is the main appeal in MW photography: getting a great image has a higher degree of difficulty, so it's all about embracing a challenge. I'll reflect on that a while. :)

David, I agree with Robert. It's increasingly difficult finding dark skies is most of the US. Then you have to have the right conditions (ie clear night, new moon, etc). On top of that, you then have to find a great location with an interesting foreground and then time it right so that the MW is positioned right to make a compelling image. Ever since I took my first MW shot at the top of Haleakala in Maui, I so I eagerly want to recreate that experience and search out my next MW image.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,283 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 25, 2017 10:49 |  #2460

mystik610 wrote in post #18410824 (external link)

I would be interested in helping out.

sponsored links

1,781,166 views & 55,222 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.