Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 25 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 01:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sirui Tripod Quality

Michael ­ Frymus
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jul 25, 2017 01:20 |  #1

I have a Gitzo 2542LS right now.
Its a great tripod as it a decent weight, has a great height, and folds decently small.
But, I am trying to get something that is more ideal for travel.

The Gitzo has a large top as it can convert to a 100mm bowl for video use, which is pointless for me. It adds bulk and weight.
I've done research and the Sirui N-2204X Carbon Fiber Tripod seems to be the closest/best option.

BUT... what the quality of this tripod like?
These dont sell in Canada so I cant get a feel for it.
I would need to order from B&H.

Michael Frymus
Travel Photographer || Filmmaker || Vlogger
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/michaelfrymus (external link)

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,276 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 25, 2017 01:22 |  #2

I've heard good things about them. Sirui makes good stuff.
Also look at Induro and Benro. Similar quality Chinese sticks.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 25, 2017 13:03 |  #3

I was in B&H looking at the Sirui products a year or so ago. Their K-20X thru K-40X range of three ballheads are very impressive. Their large tripods also seem to be good, however I was not taken with the smaller models which seemed rather flimsy to me. The Induro models next door to the smaller Siruis were more solid. Just my impression - I don't own any of these models.

The Sirui N-2204X model has a screw-off leg that transforms into a monopod, and a center post that's composed of two pieces. Either one of these "features" by itself would disqualify this model for me as they can't be good for stability.

~Peter

steve67
166 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by steve67. (2 edits in all)

Jul 25, 2017 13:53 |  #4

I have had a Sirui cf 3204X tripod & k-30 ball head for the last 2 years and have had no issues. It has never moved and seems to be quality built. My only very small gripe is the instructions it came with are in Chinese, which I did go online and download the English version and my problem was solved. Also the monopod is handy in a pinch, but I have a monopod so I don't go through the hassle of taking my tripod apart.

5DMark4/ 24-105 F4/16-35mm F4 50mm f1.8 II/100mm f2.8L/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jul 25, 2017 15:06 |  #5

I dont care about the monopod feature.
When i was looking at all the tripod out there, i was looking for one that was tall, but also collapsed small. In comparison to they one i currently have.

I probably would not use the center column either as I don't want any wobble.

Michael Frymus

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 25, 2017 18:50 as a reply to  @ Michael Frymus's post |  #6

Sirui make some great kit - I have some of them.

However if you are looking for a "Travel" tripod then the Feisol Tournament tripods look interesting to me.

http://www.feisol.net …s/tournament-tripods.html (external link)

I say this because two friends of mine have the 3342 and 3442. They are very light, pretty rigid and damp vibration well. Not quite to Gitzo standards but pretty good and VERY light - well worth a look.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Talley.

Jul 25, 2017 20:20 |  #7

You'd be good with the Sirui T2204X. 33lb capacity, when folded reversed like 16.7" and 19.7" if not reversed, 2.7lbs in weight. Much smaller and lighter than your current Gitzo. The build quality is really good. I went large and small. My large is the R-5214XL which can be seen here: http://www.sirui.eu …oducts/tripods/​series-rx/ (external link). It's very large but I also went with the T-1205x for it's super light weight and size. Folds to 13.5" and weighs 2lb 12oz w/ the K-10x head mounted. I know it's not "large" per se but it handles a 5D and 2.5lb 15-30 Tamron lens for 20 second shots just fine. I'm not sure in windy enviroments but I know with the 16-35 F4 IS it's solid.

Do I recommend the T1205x for you... no. You don't really need the NX series... it has the monopod which you don't care for.

The T2204x is harder to find but while the N is easier. The N has a higher capacity but also weighs more. Overall the T series is better for travel and doesn't have the removable leg. Your looking for more strength the 4 section leg if your looking for size the 5 section.

I really should of went the T2205x but the 1205x handles 5D4 w/ 16-35 F4 great. Here are both of mine setup. Again large/small your looking for more smedium lol. A sample of the 5D4 and 16-35 just this past July 4th. I wasn't even using mirror lockup or remote shutter. Just did used the shutter button.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jul 26, 2017 10:29 |  #8

Weight:
The 3.7lbs of my tripod is not bad.
I wouldn't care if I had the same weight or maybe even UP TO 4lbs.
Yes, it's a hassle, BUT I feel that if I go lighter then it may become too unstable in windy conditions & not be as durable

Height:
I would love a super tall tripod!
That's the main reason why I got the one I have. I was the tallest and lightest one I could get.
If I could get it higher than 59" (my height), that would be better. I love having shots that are above me looking down.
Getting high shots is harder than getting low shots.

Collapsed Size:
A big issue with mine is how small it collapses. The length is not bad, but not great, at 23.7" -- But with a ball head, it gets fairly big.
Because I go backpacking, I want to fit this on the side of my backpack without it sticking too high up, or possibly inside the bag.
One that's around 18" folded is good but the smaller the better.

Top Width:
AND the BIGGEST issue of mine is the top is very wide. (As seen in photo)
I've found other great tripods, but the tops are like mine. Way too wide. Lots of dead space when folded up.

The R-5214XL looks awesome!
Too bad it doesnt fold down smaller and isnt a pound lighter

HOSTED PHOTO

Michael Frymus

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 26, 2017 10:58 |  #9

I've not tried the Sirui legs, but I do have their K-30X ballhead. I think Feisol meets your requirements and is at the price point you're looking at. I have a CT-3401, but it looks to be shorter than you want.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Talley.

Jul 26, 2017 11:20 |  #10

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18411706 (external link)
Weight:
The 3.7lbs of my tripod is not bad.
I wouldn't care if I had the same weight or maybe even UP TO 4lbs.
Yes, it's a hassle, BUT I feel that if I go lighter then it may become too unstable in windy conditions & not be as durable

Height:
I would love a super tall tripod!
That's the main reason why I got the one I have. I was the tallest and lightest one I could get.
If I could get it higher than 59" (my height), that would be better. I love having shots that are above me looking down.
Getting high shots is harder than getting low shots.

Collapsed Size:
A big issue with mine is how small it collapses. The length is not bad, but not great, at 23.7" -- But with a ball head, it gets fairly big.
Because I go backpacking, I want to fit this on the side of my backpack without it sticking too high up, or possibly inside the bag.
One that's around 18" folded is good but the smaller the better.

Top Width:
AND the BIGGEST issue of mine is the top is very wide. (As seen in photo)
I've found other great tripods, but the tops are like mine. Way too wide. Lots of dead space when folded up.

The R-5214XL looks awesome!
Too bad it doesnt fold down smaller and isnt a pound lighter

1. Weight is not an issue as long as it doesn't go over 4lbs.
2. Want higher is better
3. Smallest size is best
4. Top width smallest is best

I'm familiar with the Sirui's and based on all that the T-2204XL is your best bet. Not sure about the E20 head since I stick to their Kx lineup. I have a K-10x on the small tripod and the K-40x on the large. Let me tell you my large tripod and that head are huge and awesome. I don't use it very ofted but I got it for when I need to shoot above crowds since with the head I'm right at 7' tall.

The T-2204xl will reverse fold to 18.5" and thats head included. Diameter of the smallest legs are 19mm which is far larger than my 10mm of the smallest legs on my small tripod. A good medium. My large tripod smallest legs are 28mm where that is the size of the largest leg of the T-2204xl. But your looking for the best of both worlds and compromises has to be made. You need to pick a priority and to me your not concerned with weight but are most concerned with size when folded and diameter. Both of these will be significantly smaller with the T-2204xl. This thing weighs 2.9lbs so with head your under the 4lb. Diameter will be about 35% smaller than your gitzo. Quality/strength will be surprising better than you expect if you buy it. It has a center column which helps on the size and something your going to have to have as a compromise to get the height you want and the folding size you need. Max height without using the column is 53" and with is actually 64" so your gaining 5" than your current setup when using the column. The only thing now is the wind resistance/strength. The only other thing I could recommend is the

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …_carbon_fiber_t​ripod.html (external link)

Take a look. You could easily sell that E-20 head for 65 bucks bringing the total to around $325.

Keep looking around to the other companies. I'm not sure what else is offered out there but when you look compare it back to the T-2204XL. Make a choice afterward.

If I had to pick a middle size between my small/large it would be the T-2204XL and I already know it'll hold up to wind/weight. The little one is stronger than a medium sized vanguard carbon fiber that I had first.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited over 2 years ago by Michael Frymus.

Jul 26, 2017 12:12 |  #11

I've made a list of all the tripods sold on B&H that fit my specs and then narrowed it down to only a handful.. turns out they are all Sirui

There is one, however, Studio Assets 4-Section Tripod
It seems to be even taller and more compact... But I don't see how that makes sense.
If this one is of good quality and is true to its specs, this seems to be the best.

But, there isn't a single review or anything of it... So, looks like one of the Sirui ones is the best choice :) Sirui W-2204, N-3204X, or N-2204X

Michael Frymus

jcturn1
132 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by jcturn1.

Jul 26, 2017 14:29 |  #12

I own the sirui T-2204xl and have used it with canon 500mm f4 and 1dx mk2 very
sturdy. The quality is very good (I also have a gitzo), it came with a ballhead that I never
tried. I have used it with a gimbal and an acratech gp-s. Every thing Talley said is true for
the price it's a very capable tripod.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 26, 2017 15:06 |  #13

jcturn1 wrote in post #18411877 (external link)
I own the sirui T-2204xl and have used it with canon 500mm f4 and 1dx mk2 very
sturdy. The quality is very good (I also have a gitzo), it came with a ballhead that I never
tried. I have used it with a gimbal and an acratech gp-s. Every thing Talley said is true for
the price it's a very capable tripod.

Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't of thought it could handle such a large combo but your experience says alot. I'm thinking of getting rid of my super small tripod and going with the 2204xl now.

The only thing is the small tripod folds to 13.5" and is 2lb 12oz w/ the head. It's so light but is strong it's crazy.

The 2204xl is still light enough to be ok and still small enough to act as a main tripod and then I only need to pull the big tripod out for my video work or when I need tall.

My Gear Archive

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scatterbrained.

Jul 26, 2017 15:48 |  #14

Personally, I travel with a Sirui T2205x. I've been more than happy with it, using it with both a 1Dx/24-70 combo as well as my A7RII with various lenses. I've been plenty happy with it, even using it in the Narrows at Zion recently to get some shots of the rapids. The tripod has worked exactly as I expected it too. Granted If I'm going out specifically for some long exposure shots (think star trails) then I take my larger tripod, but I've done 3-4 second exposures with a pro body, heavy lens, and full 4x6 filter kit mounted. I too avoided the unit with the monopod leg, something that seems more of a gimmick than anything to me.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 26, 2017 16:06 |  #15

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18411921 (external link)
Personally, I travel with a Sirui T2205x. I've been more than happy with it, using it with both a 1Dx/24-70 combo as well as my A7RII with various lenses. I've been plenty happy with it, even using it in the Narrows at Zion recently to get some shots of the rapids. The tripod has worked exactly as I expected it too. Granted If I'm going out specifically for some long exposure shots (think star trails) then I take my larger tripod, but I've done 3-4 second exposures with a pro body, heavy lens, and full 4x6 filter kit mounted. I too avoided the unit with the monopod leg, something that seems more of a gimmick than anything to me.

Same tripod used at your disney trips? I took the T-1205x and it's super light but it's almost too small because it doesn't fit in my backpack exterior holders well. It's almost like the slightly larger trip0d would carry better on it.

My Gear Archive

sponsored links

3,581 views & 4 likes for this thread
Sirui Tripod Quality
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.