Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 18-400

Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2017 20:45 |  #16

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18412043 (external link)
Hello today I received the Tamron 18-400 what a big disappointment and I can't blame Tamron. Both of my camera's are full frame, and the lens is a crop lens..

Yikes .... I still took a few pictures using it nice nothing special but seen to be a good lens for the price.

Did you really not bother looking at what sensor it would fit in the press releases?

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 26, 2017 22:11 as a reply to  @ Ilovetheleafs's post |  #17

Geez I said I made a mistake... it wasn't like I voted for trump and made a 4yr mistake...

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

dundeebirder
107 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 07, 2018 09:13 |  #18

Well I've went and ordered this lens today and I am expecting it tomorrow. As someone with a disability who uses a wheelchair I can see this being a big advantage in helping to reach the more inaccessibe places. I guess we'll see once I've had a chance get out and about with it.

Mark
Canon EOS 60D|Sigma 17-70 F2-8-4 C|Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6|Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM|Canon 24mm F2.8 STM|Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro

pknight
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 12, 2018 08:09 |  #19

This thread went dead for a while, but I have been looking at this, as a satisfied user of previous Tamron super zooms. It is true that you have to adjust expectations for a lens like this, but there are times, primarily when traveling, when hauling several lenses and having to switch them out in busy, crowded situations is truly a hassle at best, and impractical at worst.

However, in the past week I have searched for reviews of this lens, and was pleasantly surprised. It seems that Tamron, while extending the zoom range to a crazy extent, may have produced their best super zoom yet. I am not trying to shill for Tamron, and you all can look for the review yourselves, but based on what I have seen, it outperforms the previous models in terms of distortion (easy fix), and is no worse otherwise. Reviews point to somewhat lower contrast (easy fix) and saturation (easy fix) than you might want, and offer the caveat that you don't want to spend a lot of time in 1:1 pixel peeping if that gets your blood pressure up (good advice for anyone with any lens). However, the quality does seem to be truly surprising.

Now, this is not a prime lens, nor a 4x or lower zoom. It will certainly behave better with good light than in dark places. No surprises there. You know if this lens will be useful for you, given the inherent trade-offs, and if so this lens appears to be the best option that Tamron has produced yet.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 14, 2018 07:07 |  #20

dundeebirder wrote in post #18601861 (external link)
Well I've went and ordered this lens today and I am expecting it tomorrow. As someone with a disability who uses a wheelchair I can see this being a big advantage in helping to reach the more inaccessibe places. I guess we'll see once I've had a chance get out and about with it.

Not that I'm against superzooms, I replaced a Canon 75-300 with a Sigma 28-300, which when I tested against the basic Sigma 70-300 APO gave basically identical results on my then 300D. But since I have become a wheelchair user I have actually been happy to carry more rather then less photographic gear with me at any one time. Maybe It's because I can hang it all from the chair, so don't have to actually carry it anymore. Also my health deteriorated quite slowly, so it got to where my limited mobility reflected what I could carry too. Personally the thing I now find really hard to do from the wheelchair is using a tripod. It doesn't seem to matter how I arrange the tripod legs, I always seem to hit them with some part of either of my wheelchairs, or just kick them.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

9,811 views & 2 likes for this thread
Tamron 18-400
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.