Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 02:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ISO Canon 7DMK II and 550D

davholla
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Gallery: 178 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jul 27, 2017 02:53 |  #1

I have noticed in both of these cameras when I am in automatic mode or P or AV, it will chose a low ISO e.g 400 and a slow shutter speed rather than a higher ISO which is annoying as I get camera blur when if it used a higher speed and higher ISO it would be ok.
Also even at that low iso it exposes fine if I go to manual and use a higher shutter speed.
Any ideas?

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 27, 2017 03:01 |  #2

davholla wrote in post #18412309 (external link)
I have noticed in both of these cameras when I am in automatic mode or P or AV, it will chose a low ISO e.g 400 and a slow shutter speed rather than a higher ISO which is annoying as I get camera blur when if it used a higher speed and higher ISO it would be ok.
Also even at that low iso it exposes fine if I go to manual and use a higher shutter speed.
Any ideas?

Set the ISO to a higher speed.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jul 27, 2017 03:02 |  #3

john crossley wrote in post #18412312 (external link)
Set the ISO to a higher speed.

True but surely auto ISO should chose the correct ISO without me having to change it?

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 27, 2017 03:16 |  #4

davholla wrote in post #18412314 (external link)
True but surely auto ISO should chose the correct ISO without me having to change it?

But unfortunately auto-iso doesn't know what you are photographing or how wobbly your hands are.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 27, 2017 04:14 |  #5

I can't speak to P because I don't use it.

In Av mode, you select the aperture, the camera will select the SLOWEST shutter speed it can (according to your parameters, if user select-able, and then give you the ISO to allow proper exposure. If sufficient light is available, the camera will give higher shutter speeds, while keeping ISO at 100.

Putting the camera in P or Av, and selecting auto-ISO is basically telling the camera, "I don't care what the shutter speed and/or ISO are. Just take the photo." If you do care what the shutter speed and/or ISO are, there are settings for that.

Some cameras allow setting minimum and maximum values for all three exposure parameters. It surprises me that the upscale 7D2 does not.

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jul 27, 2017 04:38 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18412328 (external link)
I can't speak to P because I don't use it.

In Av mode, you select the aperture, the camera will select the SLOWEST shutter speed it can (according to your parameters, if user select-able, and then give you the ISO to allow proper exposure. If sufficient light is available, the camera will give higher shutter speeds, while keeping ISO at 100.

Putting the camera in P or Av, and selecting auto-ISO is basically telling the camera, "I don't care what the shutter speed and/or ISO are. Just take the photo." If you do care what the shutter speed and/or ISO are, there are settings for that.

Some cameras allow setting minimum and maximum values for all three exposure parameters. It surprises me that the upscale 7D2 does not.

Thank you, it would be good with AV if you could limit the slowest shutter speed if you are not using a tripod.

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jul 27, 2017 04:39 |  #7

john crossley wrote in post #18412316 (external link)
But unfortunately auto-iso doesn't know what you are photographing or how wobbly your hands are.

True but if it is 1/30 of a second unless there is a tripod it will be too slow.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 27, 2017 05:23 |  #8

davholla wrote in post #18412333 (external link)
Thank you, it would be good with AV if you could limit the slowest shutter speed if you are not using a tripod.

On the 7D2, you can set minimum shutter speeds and minimum ISO values, while using auto-ISO in Av or P modes. See pp. 154-159 in the user manual. Isn't that what you want?

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by mcoren.

Jul 27, 2017 05:24 |  #9

You're not by any chance using flash are you? I'm just asking because there was a thread recently about the camera always choosing ISO 400 when using flash with Av mode (i.e. fill flash).

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1483278

I mostly use Av mode with my 70D, and with my former T2i/550D before that, and it always selected from a range of ISO values on both bodies.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jul 27, 2017 05:29 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18412359 (external link)
On the 7D2, you can set minimum shutter speeds and minimum ISO values, while using auto-ISO in Av or P modes. See pp. 154-159 in the user manual. Isn't that what you want?

Thank you I missed that bit.

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jul 27, 2017 05:29 |  #11

mcoren wrote in post #18412360 (external link)
You're not by any chance using flash are you? I'm just asking because there was a thread recently about the camera always choosing ISO 400 when using flash with Av mode (i.e. fill flash).

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1483278

I mostly use Av mode with my 70D, and with my former T2i/550D before that, and it always selected from a range of ISO values on both bodies.

Mike

No I think I have found the problem.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,585 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 27, 2017 05:49 |  #12

That pesky manual, think how much they could save by not even providing one. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 27, 2017 05:53 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18412370 (external link)
That pesky manual, think how much they could save by not even providing one. :)

OMG! That would be terrible. I tend to be a bit anal about reading manuals BEFORE I buy a camera. Before purchasing my 80D, I read several online reviews of 80D, 7D2, 5D3. Also downloaded all manuals as PDF, and perused them before making a decision. I like to know what I am getting for my money.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (2 edits in all)

Jul 27, 2017 07:45 |  #14

davholla wrote in post #18412309 (external link)
Any ideas?

As indicated the camera doesn't know your intentions and in Av mode it will sometimes give you a slower shutter speed than optimal for specific conditions, and auto ISO always attempts to give you the lowest ISO needed for a good exposure. You could manually set ISO higher, make the aperture smaller, use the shutter priority Tv mode to select your preferred shutter speed and let the camera decide on the aperture, or shoot in manual mode and control aperture and shutter speed separately. On the 7D2, unlike most other cameras, when shooting in manual mode with auto ISO, you can also use the Exposure Compensation feature to tailor ISO. In other words, you have lots of options.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,585 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 27, 2017 20:32 |  #15

Bassat wrote in post #18412373 (external link)
OMG! That would be terrible. I tend to be a bit anal about reading manuals BEFORE I buy a camera. Before purchasing my 80D, I read several online reviews of 80D, 7D2, 5D3. Also downloaded all manuals as PDF, and perused them before making a decision. I like to know what I am getting for my money.

You, my friend, are in the very MINORITY of the buyers, if this forum is any indication!

I never read the manual up front. I ALWAYS figure out whatever tech I get, then I go back to the manual to see what I missed. It makes going through the manual much faster that way.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

4,854 views & 15 likes for this thread
ISO Canon 7DMK II and 550D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.