Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 05:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Color cast from shooting on grass?

southwestform
74 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jul 30, 2017 05:50 |  #1

What if anything can be done in camera when shooting photos of kids sitting on grass with a 5DM3 to minimize green color casts? I was able to work with Lightroom to remove some green casts, though are there any techniques I can use while taking the shots?

Thanks.

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 30, 2017 06:44 |  #2

Show us an example of your problem.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,752 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 30, 2017 08:32 |  #3

southwestform wrote in post #18414502 (external link)
What if anything can be done in camera when shooting photos of kids sitting on grass with a 5DM3 to minimize green color casts? I was able to work with Lightroom to remove some green casts, though are there any techniques I can use while taking the shots?

Thanks.

Are you shooting in raw or jpeg?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

southwestform
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jul 30, 2017 09:46 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #4

I'm shooting RAW and can correct in Lightroom by removing the green cast. I am just wondering what I need to do, if anything to correct it in camera. I will dig up a photo and post it soon.

Ramon-uk
617 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 30, 2017 10:19 as a reply to  @ southwestform's post |  #5

Presumably you are talking about light that is reflected from the grass onto the subject, not really a fault it's just that our eyes (or our brains)don't notice it during normal vision unless it's very strong.
Not much you can do about it in camera, if you alter the white balance then you will probably affect other colours.

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Jul 30, 2017 10:31 |  #6

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18414598 (external link)
Presumably you are talking about light that is reflected from the grass onto the subject, not really a fault it's just that our eyes (or our brains)don't notice it during normal vision unless it's very strong.
Not much you can do about it in camera, if you alter the white balance then you will probably affect other colours.

Agreed - our house has a gray tile roof. On overcast days it looks gray. On sunny days it looks slightly blue but when it's in the shade of a cloud on a sunny day, it looks very blue, being lit by the bue sky not the sun. I only really notice this in pictures :) The camera is too faithful sometimes.

My picture galleries (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,440 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 30, 2017 10:36 |  #7

southwestform wrote in post #18414583 (external link)
I will dig up a photo and post it soon.

That would have been nice?

Are you talking about faces or legs? Grass isn't the worlds best reflector, so if it's faces that you're concerned with, you might try bouncing a bit more light into them. Or kick in a bit of flash fill.
For legs on the grass, I doubt that you can fix in camera & have it look natural.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,077 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 30, 2017 10:58 |  #8

Early on people complained about the 5DIII throwing a green cast to images so shooting on grass would likely just aggravate the situation. See https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/36050​19 (external link).

Not that it will help the RAW images, but you might want to investigate the "style" you are using and what you might be able to do in the way of tweaking a style or even setting up a custom. The "landscape" style for instance is described by Canon as follows:

With the landscape style, colour tone and saturation are set to achieve deep, vivid blues and greens for skies and foliage. The sharpness is set one step more than standard so that the outlines of mountains, trees and buildings look crisp.

Note that other variabes can be tweaked in styles. See http://cpn.canon-europe.com …features/pictur​e_style.do (external link) for a good write-up by Canon.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 30, 2017 14:18 |  #9

You can modify the white balance in the camera. Select a few stops opposite to green. Perhaps that will help. Or help illuminate the subject with a flash, which casts some neutral light on the subject.

Anders

sponsored links

1,070 views & 0 likes for this thread
Color cast from shooting on grass?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.