Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 02:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ISO Canon 7DMK II and 550D

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,752 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 30, 2017 22:53 |  #31

johnf3f wrote in post #18414969 (external link)
I don't know if you can do this with the 550D, but with your 7D2 have you considered Manual mode with Auto ISO?

I use this method with my 1DX and 7D2 as it means that I can change settings very quickly without taking my eye from the viewfinder and (more importantly) without using my brain! If you go into Custom Functions, and assign EC (Exposure Compensation) to the "SET" button you can adjust exposure VERY quickly - handy for BIF and Airshows.

Using this setup my shutter speed is under my right index finger, my aperture under my thumb. So I just set the parameters I want and can instantly see if the ISO is within reasonable limits. With EC on the SET button any compensation can be set in well under a second without losing sight of your subject too.

It may sound a little daunting - but it is not, these days using my point and shoot is a MUCH more difficult challenge!

Unlike the 7D Mark II, the 550D (T2i) does not have the EC feature when you use Auto ISO in Manual mode.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links
gschlact
1,299 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by gschlact.

Jul 31, 2017 00:03 |  #32

Bassat wrote in post #18412328 (external link)
I can't speak to P because I don't use it.

In Av mode, you select the aperture, the camera will select the SLOWEST shutter speed it can (according to your parameters, if user select-able, and then give you the ISO to allow proper exposure. If sufficient light is available, the camera will give higher shutter speeds, while keeping ISO at 100.

Putting the camera in P or Av, and selecting auto-ISO is basically telling the camera, "I don't care what the shutter speed and/or ISO are. Just take the photo." If you do care what the shutter speed and/or ISO are, there are settings for that.

Some cameras allow setting minimum and maximum values for all three exposure parameters. It surprises me that the upscale 7D2 does not.

I believe the 7dii allows you to enter a parameter for min shutter speed with auto ISO. Either absolute or I think 2x FL. But, in Av mode, as mentioned above, you aren't supposed to care about shutter speed. If light starved Tv will likely maximize aperture and then start cranking iso, just set your tolerable shutter there.

One more TIP regarding reading the manual dialog.....
One way to rapidly learn any new camera (or piece of software) is to explore every menu, every option to see what's there. Then look up in manual for anything you don't understand.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 31, 2017 00:25 |  #33

gschlact wrote in post #18415146 (external link)
I believe the 7dii allows you to enter a parameter for min shutter speed with auto ISO. Either absolute or I think 2x FL. But, in Av mode, as mentioned above, you aren't supposed to care about shutter speed. If light starved Tv will likely maximize aperture and then start cranking iso, just set your tolerable shutter there.

Exactly what I mean! An upscale camera like the 7DII should have functions that were available 10 years ago. Why doesn't it? I could restrict any exposure parameter to any values I selected, and it applied to ALL shooting modes, on my 1DIII/IV. Ten year old cameras.

What I miss most about my 1DIV is the customizability. The 80D is its equal wrt AF, but doesn't touch it in Custom Functions. Of course, video/LV on the 1DIII/IV were cumbersome, at best.

Tom

gschlact
1,299 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 31, 2017 00:31 |  #34

Bassat wrote in post #18412359 (external link)
On the 7D2, you can set minimum shutter speeds and minimum ISO values, while using auto-ISO in Av or P modes. See pp. 154-159 in the user manual. Isn't that what you want?

Bassat wrote in post #18415152 (external link)
Exactly what I mean! An upscale camera like the 7DII should have functions that were available 10 years ago. Why doesn't it? I could restrict any exposure parameter to any values I selected, and it applied to ALL shooting modes, on my 1DIII/IV. Ten year old cameras.

What I miss most about my 1DIV is the customizability. The 80D is its equal wrt AF, but doesn't touch it in Custom Functions. Of course, video/LV on the 1DIII/IV were cumbersome, at best.

Wait, I am saying it does have it, aren't you finding what you want in these manual pages?

Bassat
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 31, 2017 04:58 |  #35

gschlact wrote in post #18415158 (external link)
Wait, I am saying it does have it, aren't you finding what you want in these manual pages?

:oops::oops: Well, this is more proof that my memory is failing. Apologies to you, and to the 7DII. Your response made me go back to the manual. I found these features o pp. 438-9. Another feature I liked (1D4) was the adjustable frame rates for both high- and low-speed bursts. The 7D2 has that too.

I thought I made a thorough comparison of the 80D and 7D2 before buying the 80D. If I did, I am certainly remembering things wrong. :oops::oops:

Tom

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,346 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jul 31, 2017 13:18 |  #36

Bassat wrote in post #18415212 (external link)
:oops::oops: Well, this is more proof that my memory is failing. Apologies to you, and to the 7DII. Your response made me go back to the manual. I found these features o pp. 438-9. Another feature I liked (1D4) was the adjustable frame rates for both high- and low-speed bursts. The 7D2 has that too.

I thought I made a thorough comparison of the 80D and 7D2 before buying the 80D. If I did, I am certainly remembering things wrong. :oops::oops:

It may not be the issue of failing memory, but more an issue of increased complexity!
I just put a new printer with wireless printing capability into use, and it came with a two-sided Getting Started guide. While it has an on-line manual, while setting it up I was not aware of that feature, so i downloaded a PDF from the web 900+ pages of user guide?!

180 pages for the 5D(c), 548 pages for the 7DII...3 times as much information to cope with. Even the 1Dx has 'only' 430 pages.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 31, 2017 14:24 |  #37

Wilt wrote in post #18415583 (external link)
It may not be the issue of failing memory, but more an issue of increased complexity!
I just put a new printer with wireless printing capability into use, and it came with a two-sided Getting Started guide. While it has an on-line manual, while setting it up I was not aware of that feature, so i downloaded a PDF from the web 900+ pages of user guide?!

180 pages for the 5D(c), 548 pages for the 7DII...3 times as much information to cope with. Even the 1Dx has 'only' 430 pages.

Thanks for the vote of support, Wilt. And for trying to bail me out of my own dumb-idity. I appreciate it. But don't think for a minute that POTN is the ONLY place I do/say stupid $#!T. :).

Just this morning I got the PNB out so my wife could make my muffin (no jokes, please). Not 10 seconds later, I saw the PNB jar on the counter and put it away. She hadn't touched it yet. I am truly a scatter-brain.

Tom

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,752 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (5 edits in all)

Jul 31, 2017 14:31 |  #38

Bassat wrote in post #18415614 (external link)
Thanks for the vote of support, Wilt. And for trying to bail me out of my own dumb-idity. I appreciate it. But don't think for a minute that POTN is the ONLY place I do/say stupid $#!T. :).

Just this morning I got the PNB out so my wife could make my muffin (no jokes, please). Not 10 seconds later, I saw the PNB jar on the counter and put it away. She hadn't touched it yet. I am truly a scatter-brain.

I assume that PNB stands for peanut butter and not something like a Petrified Ninety-year-old Butt. :p

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Bassat
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 31, 2017 14:35 |  #39

mwsilver wrote in post #18415622 (external link)
I assume that PNB stands for peanut butter and not something truly disgusting like a Petrified Ninety-year-old Butt. :p

Well it certainly ain't Perky Nineteen year-old Boo... wait, this is a family forum. Yes, peanut butter. Crunchy, if you must know.

Tom

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 31, 2017 15:36 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #40

Pity as I find it to be a great feature.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,752 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver.

Jul 31, 2017 18:45 |  #41

Bassat wrote in post #18415625 (external link)
Well it certainly ain't Perky Nineteen year-old Boo... wait, this is a family forum. Yes, peanut butter. Crunchy, if you must know.

I'm a smooth peanut butter man myself. While I'll admit crunchy peanut butter is sharper both in the center and edge of the bread, I find smooth peanut butter gives you less noise, especially in lower light, with much better bokeh. We each need to use the peanut butter that gives us the sandwich results we had in our mind's eye.

Mark

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 31, 2017 18:47 |  #42

I am a powered peanut butter man myself, I am ready for the zombie apocalypse, just need clean water, but I have my life straw for that....

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Bassat
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 31, 2017 18:57 |  #43

Now that we've gone down Weird Road, is it safe for me to admit I also like creamy PNB sandwiches: PNB, butter, and cheddar cheese on white.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 31, 2017 19:00 |  #44

I was trying to find a way to get this back on track, but there is no way I am rubbing PB on my 7D2 to do it, so I gave up. :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Bassat
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 31, 2017 19:02 |  #45

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18415793 (external link)
I was trying to find a way to get this back on track, but there is no way I am rubbing PB on my 7D2 to do it, so I gave up. :D

Ok, I'll try. I find the 7D2 much more attractive now that I have its Custom Functions in my head. Damn! I bought the 80D 8 months ago. Surely I don't need an 80D and a 7D2, do I?

Tom

sponsored links

4,469 views & 15 likes for this thread
ISO Canon 7DMK II and 550D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.