Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 22:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2nd attempt at newborn photography

copmagnet82
224 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Aug 01, 2017 22:23 |  #1

This session took forever (4 hours). They baby was asleep for 15 minutes and was peeing and pooping every two minutes. Here's what I got. Thanks for the feedback.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
icor1031
771 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by icor1031.

Aug 02, 2017 00:36 |  #2

Second shot is decent, but more light needed to be on the baby for subject separation.
First one's placement makes the baby look dead.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,251 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 02, 2017 00:42 |  #3

Slap that 70-200 f2.8 on and get some tight shots, perhaps. Snoot a flash and see if you can throw some light on that baby's head in #2, or switch sides with your strobe. Pooping babies can be problematic. I've never done newborn stuff. I have tremendous respect for those that can do it.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,903 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 05, 2017 02:03 |  #4

First one is stupid. "We put a baby on a chair" kind of stupid. Second one asks to be tighter /maybe/ and, yes, better lit, but is gud.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 05, 2017 07:20 |  #5

First one needs a more elaborate, elegant chair to go along with the princess crown. The blacks are also crushed, no detail in the black cushion whatsoever. And of course, the baby's eye... ;-)a

I like the idea of the second, but as mentioned before, you need better light placement. May also benefit from a larger depth of field to get everything in focus, or a more narrow DOF to put only the baby in focus.

Newborn photography is extremely difficult in my opinion. I was reluctant to pay the premium price our newborn photographer had set, but after a 3 hour session of screaming, peeing, pooping, and vomiting, I felt like she should have charged me double.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

battletone
503 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by battletone. (2 edits in all)

Aug 05, 2017 16:02 |  #6

I would clone out the lint and debris from the chair.

The second one could use a snoot for some light on the face, and the focus appears to have missed the eyes and is a bit more in front. Even closed eyes, the focus should be the eyelids.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Aug 05, 2017 16:32 |  #7

I have a general aversion to this saccharine sweet style of new-born photography. Parents seem to want this kind of shoot, though, and I certainly don't blame photographers for making and selling the images.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,016 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 06, 2017 14:30 |  #8

Here is one thing I have learned from 14 years doing newborns.... close ups are best. Put your subject in front of a well lit window, make it simple and make it close up. Sometimes parents bring items that are meaningful to them but bot really my style but we make it happen because these are their memories you are capturing. Don't over-think it.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

whtteg
32 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2017 09:15 |  #9

mannetti21 wrote in post #18419724 (external link)
Newborn photography is extremely difficult in my opinion. I was reluctant to pay the premium price our newborn photographer had set, but after a 3 hour session of screaming, peeing, pooping, and vomiting, I felt like she should have charged me double.

I can't agree more! Haha just went through that myself.

OP I like #2, great idea but with more even light on the baby, especially the head.

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
1,863 posts
Gallery: 244 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2017 11:03 |  #10

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18420674 (external link)
Here is one thing I have learned from 14 years doing newborns.... close ups are best. Put your subject in front of a well lit window, make it simple and make it close up. Sometimes parents bring items that are meaningful to them but bot really my style but we make it happen because these are their memories you are capturing. Don't over-think it.

100% GOOD ADVICE

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

diveguy
73 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 13, 2017 14:12 |  #11

I like your creative approaches. My input is that I would like to see more baby. Get closer and find a way to make the baby more prominent in the image. On photo #1, the beautiful wood grain and details on the chair create a lot of interest that it pulls the eye away from your main subject (the baby). Also, each of the baby's eyes look different and she doesn't appear to be comfortable/happy/rela​xed/peaceful which I think is what you might want to convey.

#2 might work better if you opened up the front of the hammock to be able to see more of the baby and added in some fill light onto her. I do like the way the textures of the materials contrast with the smooth skin of the baby. The colors are also working nicely together.

You have some nice concepts and also some nice lighting going on, I think these could improve with some adjustments to really make them shine.

---------------
Chris Constantine
Chris Constantine Photography
San Rafael, California 94903
https://www.chrisconst​antinephoto.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/chrisconstantineph​oto (external link)

sponsored links

1,904 views & 9 likes for this thread
2nd attempt at newborn photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.