Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I don't like my pictures.

copmagnet82
224 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Aug 01, 2017 22:37 |  #1

So, I think there is something wrong with me. I really don't like the pictures I take. I feel they are better than snapshots, but I don't think they look like they were done by a professional, whatever the definition of that may be. I feel bad charging people money because I don't think my pictures have that "uh-ah" feel to them. People like them, but for some reason I think they feel obligated to like my pictures, because they are their pictures, so they compliment them. Do I need to see a doctor? I am serious.

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,592 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 01, 2017 22:57 |  #2

How can we know if your photos are any good or not unless you post some photos!?;-)a. If you do, then you can get constructive criticism of your images: your exposure and post processing skills can only improve.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,937 posts
Gallery: 1382 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 01, 2017 23:02 |  #3

copmagnet82 wrote in post #18416981 (external link)
So, I think there is something wrong with me. I really don't like the pictures I take. I feel they are better than snapshots, but I don't think they look like they were done by a professional, whatever the definition of that may be. I feel bad charging people money because I don't think my pictures have that "uh-ah" feel to them. People like them, but for some reason I think they feel obligated to like my pictures, because they are their pictures, so they compliment them. Do I need to see a doctor? I am serious.

They pay for your work.
You work for their pay.
And you're still doing it.

Doesn't matter what you think of them. It's business.

If you want to do art, do it on your dime.

Very best, :)

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

copmagnet82
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Aug 01, 2017 23:13 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #4

Well, there are a few in the gallery, but in this particular thread I'm looking more for psychological help (I think -?), rather than CC. :lol:

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,270 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 02, 2017 00:22 |  #5

You do what all of us do; strive to get better with each shoot. Seems perfectly normal to care about the quality of your craft. I would be more worried if you didn't care how your work looks. I'm humbled by many on this forum. We tend to be our most severe critics. Keep posting and continue to share your frustrations with us. We're friends. We'll talk you off the ledge when needed.

icor1031
790 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 02, 2017 00:34 |  #6

copmagnet82 wrote in post #18417014 (external link)
Well, there are a few in the gallery, but in this particular thread I'm looking more for psychological help (I think -?), rather than CC. :lol:

Can't tell you if you're deluded or not unless you share pictures.

Unless you just want to be lied to. There are many people who will do that.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135/2 || Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 || Sigma 85/1.4 ART || Helios 44-2 58/2 || Sigma 50/1.4 Art || Canon 24/2.8 || Rokinon 14/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,070 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 02, 2017 01:06 |  #7

copmagnet82 wrote in post #18417014 (external link)

Not sure what sort of psychological help anyone can offer to alter reality. Your photos are quite nice but there are a lot out there that are better. Either stop looking at other people's photos (and stay at the same level you are now) or look at them and then work out how to get your images to their level.

Part of the problem may be that you haven't found your style yet. The poses on the baby shots in your gallery look pretty standard "new born" shots and the processing is pretty minimal. Maybe the lack of satisfaction is due to the feeling that the images lack something that is specifically "you".

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sjones
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 02, 2017 03:11 |  #8

Would it help you to know that I find the work of Anne Geddes much too cloying for my taste; but in fairness to Anne, I tolerate toddlers, barely. Dogs, love, humans, not so much. Still, what's your take on babies? Maybe deep down, you're somewhat misanthropic, which is completely understandable, as I'm sure I fit that mold myself. OK, I'll stop projecting, but a declining interest in your subject matter, if that is the case, could cause you to reevaluate your work with far more critical negativity than warranted.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,070 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 02, 2017 03:52 |  #9

sjones wrote in post #18417091 (external link)
....a declining interest in your subject matter, if that is the case, could cause you to reevaluate your work with far more critical negativity than warranted.

Sometime pickled onions just aren't for you.

When I started out all my friends said I took lovely photos. They were right (in that they liked them and I was able to work out compositionally why they were attractive) but I wasn't happy. After much thought I realised I wasn't happy because the images I took had no meaning for me. I see people posting bird shots and panoramas and baby photos and while they look good, taking such shots has no meaning for me - they are pickled onions. I see people enjoying pickled onions and they certainly look attractive but every time I try one they just aren't for me.

Maybe the photos the OP is taking just don't have any meaning for them? Of course if you are taking them for work, and that is what your clients want, then you are kind of stuck. Maybe look at developing some personal photo projects that have meaning to you.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 02, 2017 06:13 |  #10

I am hypercritical of my own work. My wife watched me cull rejects after a family shoot. She said I tossed a lot of good photos. She went through my rejects and restored more than half of them. Now, unless I can define exactly why I am rejecting a photo (hand cut off, OOF, bad exposure, etc.), I leave it.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,225 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 02, 2017 06:29 |  #11

We can often be our own worst critics and to some extent that is good. However, if you are questioning your talent and abilities, or perhaps falling into a rut, then I would take a workshop, or two, and learn some new techniques to apply.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

copmagnet82
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Aug 02, 2017 08:24 |  #12

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18417066 (external link)
Not sure what sort of psychological help anyone can offer to alter reality. Your photos are quite nice but there are a lot out there that are better. Either stop looking at other people's photos (and stay at the same level you are now) or look at them and then work out how to get your images to their level.

That's definitely a part of the problem. I know that there is a lot out there that is much better and for some reason I feel like it'll be impossible for me to get there. Obviously, just like most of us I look at other people's work, but part of me hates it, because I feel like if I take a similar picture, I am copying and stealing somebody's idea, their work, but at the same time, how many significantly different poses can you come up with for a new born?

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18417066 (external link)
Part of the problem may be that you haven't found your style yet. The poses on the baby shots in your gallery look pretty standard "new born" shots and the processing is pretty minimal. Maybe the lack of satisfaction is due to the feeling that the images lack something that is specifically "you".

That is part of the problem, too. Personally, I like simple, uncluttered, clean, and unprocessed images, but looking at everyone else's work, that is very "fancy" looking, I feel that my pictures are too plain and my customers will not be getting their money's worth. ...and that's when I usually just want to give up and start threads like this. You don't want to go mainstream, but at the same time you want to deliver what people want and what will make you money.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

copmagnet82
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Aug 02, 2017 08:32 |  #13

Would it help you to know that I find the work of Anne Geddes much too cloying for my taste;

I agree. Again, just personal taste, but I feel that people want that now days, and that's why I think have the feeling of underdelivering.

Still, what's your take on babies? Maybe deep down, you're somewhat misanthropic, which is completely understandable, as I'm sure I fit that mold myself. OK, I'll stop projecting, but a declining interest in your subject matter, if that is the case, could cause you to reevaluate your work with far more critical negativity than warranted.

I actually like babies. :lol:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,757 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 02, 2017 09:03 |  #14

I don't know how much you use your 50 1.2, but perhaps do more creative things with it, using props/materials in the back, just for a change of pace. The lens will render that background out immediately, so you could put any number of colorful items and they would just blob out. Also perhaps play with other lighting techniques, something I am trying to do now that I have a couple of AD200 flash units, giving me no excuse to be more creative in lighting. Finally, perhaps download the NIK software from Google, and try out different filters for different looks?

Basically I guess I am just saying to switch things up, from what you shoot, to what you use for gear to what you use for post processing... You might find some new things you like, and put some enjoyment into your results.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

copmagnet82
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Aug 02, 2017 09:04 |  #15

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18417096 (external link)
Sometime pickled onions just aren't for you.

When I started out all my friends said I took lovely photos. They were right (in that they liked them and I was able to work out compositionally why they were attractive) but I wasn't happy. After much thought I realised I wasn't happy because the images I took had no meaning for me. I see people posting bird shots and panoramas and baby photos and while they look good, taking such shots has no meaning for me - they are pickled onions. I see people enjoying pickled onions and they certainly look attractive but every time I try one they just aren't for me.

Maybe the photos the OP is taking just don't have any meaning for them? Of course if you are taking them for work, and that is what your clients want, then you are kind of stuck. Maybe look at developing some personal photo projects that have meaning to you.

You know what... that sounds very reasonable.

sponsored links

4,132 views & 15 likes for this thread
I don't like my pictures.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.