Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Aug 2017 (Friday) 15:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Deleting YouTube subscriptions after latest equipment reviews

inwardphoto
167 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 04, 2017 15:51 |  #1

I've spent the afternoon deleting YouTube subscriptions. This was after the whole Canon 6D mkII deal. I got tired of all these reviewers telling me the camera was dead on arrival, before it had even been released and in peoples hands. There were a few level heads that seemed to just list what the camera had and what it didn't .

I found that not only was it not helpful, but it was stressful and useless. In most cases I can't even remember why there were on my subscription list in the first place.

What do you look for in a hardware reviewer? What draws you to a YouTube or Vimeo channel?

P.S. I will never shoot 4K video. When I'm live streaming continuing education events I use camera that was designed specifically for that use.

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 05, 2017 07:32 |  #2

inwardphoto wrote in post #18419365 (external link)
There were a few level heads that seemed to just list what the camera had and what it didn't .

People, blogs, etc. that simply parrot a corporate press release are the most useless reviewers around. Save the time. Just read the company press release and go to the company page describing the features of the camera. Same thing as some so-called "reviews."

Website (external link) |

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,274 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 05, 2017 07:47 |  #3

I skim read dpreview for the specs. Today's digital cameras are so far ahead of the limitations of human vision that any camera in the hands of a capable photographer will produce images that to the human eye are indistinguishable from one another. With all due respect and bless their frenzied hearts, gear heads bore me.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

MagicAlex
33 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 05, 2017 09:39 |  #4

The lame thing is that all this thing is based on a graph of a non reliable source showing a marginal difference with the 80D in lower ISO. All this people is saying is just the "popular" opinion and not a in depht review.

The only one that is putting effort to make a conscious review is Jared Polin, he made clear that the difference is so marginal that you can't almost tell the difference between the shots of the 6D MK II and the 80D in lower ISO

Canon 1100D + EF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8 II + EF 50-200mm f/3.5-4.5 + 2 Studio strobes + 2 Yongnuo 460 + Yongnuo RF603 triggers
http://magic-alex-photo.deviantart.com/
https://www.facebook.c​om/AlexCabreraPhotogra​phy.MagicAlexPhoto
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/98606847@N08/

Mathmans
261 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 05, 2017 11:08 as a reply to  @ MagicAlex's post |  #5

It should be a difference because 6DII is brand new full frame camera and it suppose to has the latest tech. If there is no difference then why bother to put out a new camera.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 05, 2017 11:51 as a reply to  @ Mathmans's post |  #6

The point isn't about the camera it's more about people putting out reviews based just on the specs on paper. Why would you expect every camera to be released to have the perceived latest and greatest. Buying the latest and greatest would be a waste of technology and money for me. There is no reason for me to spend $$$$ for the latest and greatest.

I will never shoot 4K video. And as a guy who grew up shooting single frames in an 8z10 and not knowing how it was going to turn out or if it was even going to turn out, The 2 slot option doesn't mean anything. Now if I was going to start shooting weddings, then maybe. But then again, i'd probably be using a higher end camera.

In my prints that I sell, no one can tell if they were shot on my 80D or my 10D. Or for that matter my Rolicord TLR.

Now the the camera is actually out I'll start looking at people who actually have it in their hands. When I finally rent the body, i'll compare with what they are saying.

But I will no longer subscribe to most people who post reviews.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,721 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 05, 2017 12:00 |  #7

I've spent the afternoon deleting YouTube subscriptions. This was after the whole Canon 6D mkII deal. I got tired of all these reviewers telling me the camera was dead on arrival, before it had even been released and in peoples hands. There were a few level heads that seemed to just list what the camera had and what it didn't .

I haven't seen many declaring the camera dead on arrival but many who are pointing out that if your looking to move up that there are significant limitations with this body especially with the sensor and lack of 4k. Most seem to be saying that there are some that would appeciate this body but for someone coming into photography, take a look at the other offerings as this one is quite dated.

I found that not only was it not helpful, but it was stressful and useless. In most cases I can't even remember why there were on my subscription list in the first place..

Don't watch.

What do you look for in a hardware reviewer? What draws you to a YouTube or Vimeo channel?

I am looking for something more than a re-hashing of the specs. Some clips do go too far and with those I just skip on to the next one but the vast majority seem to be saying the same thing, very old sensor, no 4k, so they are pointing out the two biggest flaws.

P.S. I will never shoot 4K video. When I'm live streaming continuing education events I use camera that was designed specifically for that use.

Your making the assumption that if you never do, no one else should either? Missing 4k in this day especially for a brand new camera is a huge miss. It would be different if Canon had it in no other body thus was waiting to put it into their flagship camera first but Canon has had 4k in SLRs for quite some time now. It's in the 1D, it in the 5D, it would have made perfect sense to bring it down to the 6D as well.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 05, 2017 12:32 |  #8

Initial reviews aren't done by tech experts, professionals, even by reviewers, they're done by people desperate for self promotion who in the main know diddly squat. Never touched the camera myself, I could do a review right now, it'll be as accurate and substantive as theirs...

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Mathmans
261 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 05, 2017 12:35 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #9

I'm not talking about buying the latest and greatest. I still shoot 4 years old camera and have no need to upgrade.
I'm talking about progress. I have nothing against Canon. Just saying that each new product should be better. If not then what's the point.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 05, 2017 14:52 as a reply to  @ Mathmans's post |  #10

But it is better as compared to the 6D. It's just not as much better as people wanted.

Most of the conversations have switched to the new Nikon and a possible baby D5.

All part of the gear acquisition syndrome.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,721 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 05, 2017 14:58 |  #11

inwardphoto wrote in post #18420001 (external link)
But it is better as compared to the 6D. It's just not as much better as people wanted...

Unfortunately, the DR is not better than the original 6D. That's what's got everyone in a tizzy. The new 6D is more akin to the 5DIII. There is a whole 6DII thread where it has been discussed in much depth. Comparisons between the 6D DR and noise curve with the 5DIII seem to lead many to believe it's the same sensor tech as they are almost identical.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 05, 2017 15:14 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #12

I'd hazard to guess that most who are complaining about it, actually have no clue what they are complaining about. They are just parroting what they have heard.

Focusing back on the original intent of the post, people slamming a camera that they have never actually laid hands on is not doing anything for the industry. I'd list the names of the VLOGers that I'm talking about but it wouldn't really add much to the conversation. The first actually useful one was from Jaren Polin, (who i usually can't stand). Since then i've found a few more from people who have actually used the camera and who's reviews have been useful.

Apaturent.com has both bodies in stock and I'll rent over a weekend and see how it does with MY style and what I shoot. And then printing then out on my Canon Pro-1000 and then compare with my crop sensor. One they are up on the wall, then I'll compare.

In the meantime, by RSS feed is a lot cleaner now that I've gotten rid of a bunch of channels and blog's

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,556 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 05, 2017 15:39 |  #13

inwardphoto wrote in post #18420022 (external link)
I'd hazard to guess that most who are complaining about it, actually have no clue what they are complaining about. They are just parroting what they have heard.

Noooo.....ya think?

That never happens. :rolleyes:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,231 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Aug 05, 2017 17:13 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #14

Charlie wrote in post #18420050 (external link)
Your making the assumption that if you never do, no one else should either? Missing 4k in this day especially for a brand new camera is a huge miss. It would be different if Canon had it in no other body thus was waiting to put it into their flagship camera first but Canon has had 4k in SLRs for quite some time now. It's in the 1D, it in the 5D, it would have made perfect sense to bring it down to the 6D as well.

I have a hard time believing the statement in blue, when the average home does not own 4K screens because the programming in 4D is limited, certainly broadcast TV hardly stresses 720k and certainly not 1920x1080!

What professionals need (4K video) for shooting professional quality video might be 4K, but unless one is routinely professionally created that programming they are not likely shooting it to play on their 4K TV at home (yet), because the average house is not throwing away the 720k digital tuner TV or the 1920x1080 TV (either of which probably cost $700-1200 to buy within the past 10 years) simply because you can buy a 4K TV

The 6DII is, after all, what Canon presents as an 'affordable, entry-level FF' for someone who wants to upgrade from APS-C because they think they need FF. That some folks use it as a economic way to 'turn professional' without the investment in gear which Canon positions as for professional uses (the 5D series) makes some folks want to have features which more ordinary hobbyists, who want an affordable FF camera, do not yet demand.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,231 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Aug 05, 2017 17:19 |  #15

Mathmans wrote in post #18419915 (external link)
I'm not talking about buying the latest and greatest. I still shoot 4 years old camera and have no need to upgrade.
I'm talking about progress. I have nothing against Canon. Just saying that each new product should be better. If not then what's the point.

So the 6DII has better AF zones, better AF accuracy.
That it does not have 'better IQ than the 6D' may simply reflect that the 6D was 'the best IQ' from Canon for 4 years!
That it does not have 4K video may simply reflect that fact that Canon wants folks to buy up to get that.

As inwardphoto has said, "But it is better as compared to the 6D. It's just not as much better as people wanted.'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,993 views & 3 likes for this thread
Deleting YouTube subscriptions after latest equipment reviews
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.