Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jun 2017 (Wednesday) 23:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6d2 is here.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,517 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 08, 2017 12:02 |  #1786

All words are offensive to someone. Myself, I look more for context and intent and less to the word itself.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Ascenta
484 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 08, 2017 12:25 |  #1787

I'm surprised the dictionary is expanding. With all the words people find offensive these days, it seems like it would be dropping some major weight.

Oh crap, there I go, I said weight...and major...and some...and dropping...and and...I'm horrible!

lowrider
781 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 08, 2017 12:30 |  #1788

Anyone have a problem with disabled?

Lou

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,963 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Aug 08, 2017 12:30 |  #1789

Let's can the nastiness that is growing in this thread.
None of this is on topic, and it's just creating ill will towards your fellow forum members.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,963 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Aug 08, 2017 12:45 |  #1790

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18421421 (external link)
Seems to me that's what the 1D & 1Ds were. And then Canon sort of merged them and launched the 1DX.

There is a place in this world for specialization, and there is a place for a good compromise in features.

I do not own a 1DX strictly because I find that in the highest end products, specialization is important,. and trying to be a jack of all trades is too much compromise.

IMHO 5D3 and 5D4 are exactly where compromise works beautifully, the 1D not as much.

Just my point of view.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Aug 08, 2017 12:46 |  #1791

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18422177 (external link)
Correct for the most part... a seasoned photographer hopefully brings experience, composition, and creativity to the table, where a new amateur photographer with a new camera will often produce technically better files, but not quite the composition and subject material.

However, though I would disagree about the odd lucky shot comment. There are new photographers coming out of school that have more of an artistic flare and a better mental eye than photographers that have been doing this for over 10 years. Once they know how to use that Rebel, or 80D, or entry level FF (6D), I would put their results against many of the best, despite their shorter photographic experience. There is no teaching that part, and some old photographers aren't quite of the caliber of some new photographers.

The "pro photographer can make better photographs with about any old camera over an amateure photographer with the best gear" is only a guideline, not a rule. To say otherwise is to have an elitist view.

To be fair (to me), I said good photographer not experienced photographer. I'm not denying the possibility of really exciting young photographers emerging any more than the possibility of some well-seasoned hacks just getting by churning out the same old stuff.

But we are agreeing ...

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,531 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 08, 2017 12:52 |  #1792

It would be interesting to see a poll on how many people, either mildly interested in the 6D2 to those that placed preorders, that haven't now due to the castrated or throttled 6D2?

Options:

Never interested
Mildly interested, but wasn't in the market
Very interested, still watching reviews
Was about to buy but not any longer
Pre-ordered, and canceled
Pre-ordered, and waiting
Going to still buy one in the near future
I have mine and like it!
I have mine, and it is okay...
I have mine, but I am returning it

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 08, 2017 13:00 |  #1793

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18422381 (external link)
It would be interesting to see a poll on how many people, either mildly interested in the 6D2 to those that placed preorders, that haven't now due to the castrated or throttled 6D2?

Options:

Never interested
Pre-ordered, and waiting
I have mine and like it!

Was interested, becoming less and less so the more I read, but not totally rejecting the possibility of buying one (yet).

Flickr (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,816 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 08, 2017 13:19 |  #1794

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18422205 (external link)
Big pixels, very weak AA filter, I believe! :)

Yeah, once upon a time bigger pixels were better. Doesn't seem to be that any longer. Although it is remarkable that high end cameras are still relatively low on megapixels. Case in point the 1DXII and the Nikon D5. That's got to still mean something, doesn't it?

The 5D4 feels like my old 5Dc bodies though, the files have the same "organic" feel. The 6D is good in that regard too though, I believe, but I had less time with the 6D than I have with the 5D4.

It has only taken about a decade, but today's APS-C are about there too. The IQ out of the latest bodies are outstanding, especially considering the tone and type of discussions we have had over the years about crop vs FF. The gap is greatly reduced, it is now to the point you just get the right glass, you can just about replicate anything with APS-C as you can with FF, minus a few really fast primes and their results on a FF. It is refreshing to not really worry about which camera to take, and rather just worry about the glass.

I agree, Cary. Just yesterday I viewed some of the work of a bird photographer on flickr. From the look of his images I thought surely he had a high end full frame and one of the big whites. Turned out he was shooting with a 7DII and the 100=400/II. And the IQ was absolutely amazing. I was rather surprised by that to be honest. I didn't think the 7DII had that kind of quality on board. Shows you how biased I am. :oops:

Anyway, if I had the cash I would already have a 5DIV :-P (and not a 1DX if alone because the 5DIV is a full (metric) pound lighter and I'm starting to get older and weight matters more these days).

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

russbecker
192 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 08, 2017 13:31 |  #1795

I didn't think the 7DII had that kind of quality on board. Shows you how biased I am.

I have used a 7D since 2009, 7D2 since early 2015. I have 11x14 and 16x20 landscape prints on the wall, they will easily pass a close inspection. The 7D series are very good all-around cameras. There are a lot of posters who assume that a FF sensor is mandatory for high quality images. That is only true if the particular situation benefits from 2.5X as many photons (or a somewhat narrower DOF), and whether the FF sensor in question is actually doing something useful with those extra photons (some apparently aren't).

It is all about parameter space; the best sensors give you more parameter space to play with (a bigger sandbox if you will).

I see DPReview has their review of the 6D2 up. The term 'damned with faint praise' comes to mind.

Going to try out a 5DS and 5D4 in the next couple of months for landscape work, some portraits, to see if it makes a difference to me. Then I'll decide whether to acquire a FF body or more glass.

7D2 | 7D | 80D | 40D | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 70-200 f/4L | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 | Sigma 120-400

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,531 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 08, 2017 13:32 |  #1796

The 5D4 is outstanding, definitely try to find a way to get one! I suspect the 6D3 will be an outstanding body too, and won't have any "steps back". :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

johnandbentley
907 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 08, 2017 13:37 |  #1797

Saving up for gear as the last year+ I have had none (liquidated all mine to build my kids a sweet treehouse). Loved the 6d, not lacking in much for my needs. That said, hard to decide if I want to get a used copy of a 6d, or get the 6d2. Interested in the more focal points, bigger file size and also in the 4k timelapse as upgraded features from original 6d.

6D, Sigma 24mm f1.4Art

aezoss
422 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 08, 2017 13:47 |  #1798

It may help to price bodies per shutter actuation.

For 100k actuations:

80D $1,499 CAD = 0.014 per actuation
6D2 $2,599 CAD = 0.025 per actuation
5D4 $4,419 CAD = 0.044 per actuation
1DX2 $7,999 CAD = 0.079 per actuation

The 5D4 should have more life in it under constant use than a 6D2 lowering the long term cost further.

If you shoot daily it may be worth the fraction of a cent per image to step up.

That said, is there any photo you can take with a 5D4 that you can't get with a 6D2? For most of us, I doubt it. If you need (as in really need, not just want) the top notch DR then perhaps it's your only option outside of Nikon or Sony.

For the money 80D + 6D2 is an excellent combination. If you can't capture 95% of your vision with those two bodies and decent lenses I don't think a 5D4, D850 or A7R2/3 will help you.

2c CAD.

Lee

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,786 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (7 edits in all)

Aug 08, 2017 13:53 |  #1799

John Sheehy wrote in post #18422145 (external link)
More interesting compositions on a consistent basis, perhaps, but an experienced photographer can not reduce the noise or resolve the image better than the camera can. Many photos can be nailed by a beginner, and the beginner with the better camera in those situations might take the better photos, because the camera was the main limiting factor for those photos.

Actually, I disagree. An experienced photographer isn't just better at composition, but also understands light and how to use it to it's best advantage, knows the camera being used and how to get the most out of it in a variety of shooting scenarios, and knows how to get the most out of an image in PP. Just because a newbie has a more capable camera doesn't mean that person possesses sufficient knowledge and skill to take advantage of those capabilities. There is a lot more to photography then pulling cleaner detail out of shadow areas or shooting at ISO 6400 and above. Maybe a newbie will occasionally get lucky, but the emphasis is on the word "lucky" unless they are naturally talented and blessed with a great eye.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,517 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 08, 2017 14:17 |  #1800

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18422381 (external link)

Options:

Never interested
Pre-ordered, and waiting
I have mine and like it!

I was very interested before the release and had pretty much been set to go with the 6D replacement, (5DIV just too costly) but was very disappointed in the actual camera. DR and lack of 4K were the deal killers. All other shortcomings I can work around.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

182,033 views & 948 likes for this thread
6d2 is here.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.