Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 23:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Studio shoot again!

icor1031
880 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by icor1031. (4 edits in all)

Aug 09, 2017 23:21 |  #1

1 - apparently my hair light didn't fire... near shoulder is pushed forward; this is because I heavily cropped the image, her hand would have shown why this was needed. Lighting kind of flat, but not as bad as #2.
2 - too flat. legs too dark (can't fix legs; room too small.)
4 - eyes a little big, framed too tight.
5 - hand/arm placement doesn't make sense.
7 - (this one especially) fingers seem tightened and too close together.
8 - arm placement with facial expression / head direction is incongruent.

And the dress isn't great.

Other comments?

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/lP2MrZR.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/K7VBgNO.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/Gp8ulQ2.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/6sCi4nJ.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/c08zhJU.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/QoGWGI7.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/v6gWNjw.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/j00mDSY.jpg

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135/2 || Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 || Sigma 85/1.4 ART || Helios 44-2 58/2 || Sigma 50/1.4 Art || Canon 24/2.8 || Rokinon 14/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,306 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 09, 2017 23:31 |  #2

You need a bigger light source. Big, soft light.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by icor1031.

Aug 09, 2017 23:32 |  #3

2 - too flat. legs too dark (can't fix legs; room too small.)

texkam wrote in post #18423741 (external link)
You need a bigger light source. Big, soft light.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135/2 || Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 || Sigma 85/1.4 ART || Helios 44-2 58/2 || Sigma 50/1.4 Art || Canon 24/2.8 || Rokinon 14/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen

Ramon-uk
634 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 10, 2017 05:36 |  #4

I think the 4th one is a definite winner.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,064 posts
Gallery: 1514 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 10, 2017 09:39 |  #5

For your light size and harshness, I think #3 and #8 are the two that have the most potential.

Nothing wrong with hard light, you just have to have poses and context and expression that work with it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by icor1031. (2 edits in all)

Aug 10, 2017 09:44 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #18423953 (external link)
For your light size and harshness, I think #3 and #8 are the two that have the most potential.

Nothing wrong with hard light, you just have to have poses and context and expression that work with it.

Very best,

I agree :) (except for the incongruent pose of #8)

Although I'm surprised 1 is considered harsh, I believe I had my large (45"?) umbrella on, and it was close.
Same for #2, though #2 looks harsh because the hair light got her cheeks

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,064 posts
Gallery: 1514 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 10, 2017 09:47 |  #7

icor1031 wrote in post #18423956 (external link)
I agree :)

Although I'm surprised 1 is considered harsh, I believe I had my large (45"?) umbrella on, and it was close.
Same for #2, though #2 looks harsh because the hair light got her cheeks

Nothing negative about it, but they're all showing hard light. Note the spectral highlights on #1 on her fingers and prominences on face. How close was your 45" modifier? I'd try and get that thing within 3 feet. It may also be the fabric/material, not diffusing the light very well, as there seems to be a hot spot, and you can see it feather out around the edges. What umbrella is this?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 10, 2017 09:49 |  #8

MalVeauX wrote in post #18423959 (external link)
Nothing negative about it, but they're all showing hard light. Note the spectral highlights on #1 on her fingers and prominences on face. How close was your 45" modifier? I'd try and get that thing within 3 feet. It may also be the fabric/material, not diffusing the light very well, as there seems to be a hot spot, and you can see it feather out around the edges. What umbrella is this?

Very best,

I think it was within 3ft.. My room is small

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …Convertible_Umb​rella.html (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 10, 2017 11:09 |  #9

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18423847 (external link)
I think the 4th one is a definite winner.

Maybe, but look carefully at her eyes. Her left pupil is much larger than her right. Is this due to lighting?

-- Image Editing OK --

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,977 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 10, 2017 11:16 |  #10

Qbx wrote in post #18424016 (external link)
Her left pupil is much larger than her right. Is this due to lighting?

It may be natural. My pupils are slightly different sizes, not different enough that anyone but an optometrist would notice.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,335 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Aug 10, 2017 11:19 |  #11

You can make a huge umbrella a hard light by not allowing the strobe to fill it up.

This could very likely be what is going on here. You can stop down the camera and point it at the light source to get a good idea of what it looks like.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Alveric. (2 edits in all)

Aug 10, 2017 12:24 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I don't find the light hard, much less 'harsh'. The shadow edge is close to what one would get with a booty dish. If there is any 'problem' with the lighting, I think the fill is a wee bit too high in some (#2 & 4).

The lighting patterns are OK, they might just need a wee bit of tuning so that the nose shadow doesn't extend too much and into the eye (as in the last one).

Yes, getting the light closer will give you that over-hyped soft light whose absence is sending some into convulsions and fits of frustration, but do note that the light will also fall off faster.

On the other hand, this subject has more 'texture' in her skin (forehead) than the one in your other thread, thus, if you want to use 'hard' light, I'd go for a Paramount pattern here, or even open loop. Just avoid raking the light or those imperfections will shew. Another point to be mindful of when working with hard(er) light is that it's more specular, and you need to remind your subjects to wipe off the natural skin oil or use make-up (though not a lot of that).

Yea, #4 is a winner here.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 10, 2017 13:05 |  #13

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18424024 (external link)
You can make a huge umbrella a hard light by not allowing the strobe to fill it up.

This could very likely be what is going on here. You can stop down the camera and point it at the light source to get a good idea of what it looks like.

I've done that, it looked like it was filled. I have to check again.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 10, 2017 13:15 |  #14

OhLook wrote in post #18424023 (external link)
It may be natural. My pupils are slightly different sizes, not different enough that anyone but an optometrist would notice.

Well whatever the cause, she would look much better if both pupils were not so dilated. A pre-flash would probably help, then we'd see more of her irises which are a lovely blue.

-- Image Editing OK --

paintedlotus
375 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by paintedlotus. (4 edits in all)

Aug 10, 2017 13:17 |  #15

Part of what a larger light source would help with is lighting your subject more evenly (as opposed to just "softly"), because right now you have super hard highlights fading to super dark shadows. It looks less like an intentional contrast choice and more like you're shooting with a light source that is just either too small or too far away from the model or too far off to the side or at too high of a setting, or all of the above. It's ok to power down your light just a tad when you move it close to your subject, or change your aperture. Parts of her face look overexposed in several shots, if not all of them.

Another thing I notice is the jarring color difference between her face/hands and arms/legs - that and the overexposure is the very first thing I noticed. This can be corrected in post.

Also, it's best to keep the hands away from the head unless the person REALLY knows what they're doing and can pose well. Granted this girl's hands aren't terrible, but they aren't helping. For most people hands are very naughty - turning into claws or barbie fingers especially, or in one case almost looking like they are kind of smashing the side of her face and distorting her cheek - and can easily ruin an otherwise nice shot.

Website (external link)

beauty, fashion, model tests, portraits

sponsored links

2,530 views & 3 likes for this thread
Studio shoot again!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.