Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 22 Aug 2016 (Monday) 22:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

August, 2017 Total solar eclipse. Too soon to start planning?

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 11, 2017 23:47 |  #106

You need a solar filter, and nothing less than a solar filter.

mikedeep.com (external link) - I shoot rocket launches and void warranties

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,411 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 12, 2017 01:27 |  #107

Mike Deep wrote in post #18425542 (external link)
You need a solar filter, and nothing less than a solar filter.

i have one for my modern cameras. A whole sheet in fact, for cameras and binoculars too.

But I have also shot nearly as many photos through a manual lens as a dslr. Or manual lens on a dslr.

There is a difference, I'm sure.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 12, 2017 22:18 |  #108

I guess I don't understand your question.

I'll be using my all-manual Tamron 60B as I did in 2012... With a solar filter.

mikedeep.com (external link) - I shoot rocket launches and void warranties

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 13, 2017 11:17 |  #109

St Louis is expecting 1.5 million people for the eclipse. There's already signs on I-70 telling drivers to use an alternative route on the 21st. St Louis County police posted on their Facebook page telling folks it's not safe to park on the shoulder of the road.

I'm staying overnight at a friends house on Sunday that gives me a 2 min 10 sec totality for shooting the corona. I don't expect to leave their house until after the supper hour (6 pm) on the 21st as the traffic going back north will be horrendous. I'm typically only an hour drive away from their house.

I read that one 18 acre farm in the area (I did not catch the address) is offering rental spots for camping at $20 per night and saying get there 2 days early. RVs and motor homes need to make reservations. They're offering pot-a-pottys, food to purchase, & other essentials. Obviously cashing in on this event but also offering up a spot where the regular campsites are already booked full.

If you want to stay in a 2 min 40 sec area some homes in Festus, MO, may still be available to rent on Airbnb for around (gulp!!!) $1,500/night!

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 13, 2017 23:01 |  #110

spotz04 wrote in post #18426581 (external link)
St Louis is expecting 1.5 million people for the eclipse. There's already signs on I-70 telling drivers to use an alternative route on the 21st. St Louis County police posted on their Facebook page telling folks it's not safe to park on the shoulder of the road.

We're planning to head to St. Louis to view the eclipse. I'm thinking of driving to the rural area S/SE of the city is the best bet to avoid some of the crowds. Any tips?

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

stewartlittle
174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 14, 2017 12:51 |  #111

Believe it or not, I didn't know there was going to be a solar eclipse until last week! How could I have not known is beyond me.
A welding shield won't cut it, I tried on my camera and it's way too fuzzy for some reason, my be because it's old and used.
This is what I'm using, two polarizing filters. Of course there is a little lens flare on my 40D and my Canon P&S has a bad vertical line, so I don't know what 'm going to do about that. I can adjust it for 40D in Photoshop to some extent.
Heard it's gonna be crowded so I may try to stay off the beaten path, but it may be beaten by then, too.

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 14, 2017 14:45 |  #112

mikepj wrote in post #18427021 (external link)
We're planning to head to St. Louis to view the eclipse. I'm thinking of driving to the rural area S/SE of the city is the best bet to avoid some of the crowds. Any tips?

Best I can say is get here as early as possible, sit tight and hang out for a while, and plan on leaving late. MODOT has been saying for a while they expect heaviest congestion after the Eclipse is over. There's a number of traffic cams on their website. However, I've heard the cellphone service may be overloaded too if we get those 1+ million travelers. If you have a Garmin with traffic reporting then that may be better than trying to use your cellphone to view traffic in Google maps.

All of South St Louis county will be busy because all of North County and St Louis City is in the partial eclipse area. There's a big viewing party planned at Jefferson Barracks Park so avoid that area of South county.

You're not allowed to park on the shoulder of the roads. Find a parking lot in a big shopping area (Walmart, Target, etc) that also offeres restaurants nearby where you can hang out for a while. Might even grab their WiFi signals. Kohls has free WiFi too. That's what's if be looking for. Lots of choices in south county, Google map a few potential locations a head of time. I don't head into those rural areas south so I can't suggest any one particular spot, sorry!

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,525 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 14, 2017 15:04 |  #113

One thing no one has mentioned . Watch out for all your gear !! Never leave it alone , don't even crack your windows to let out hot air . In an event like this theives will be at large in large quantities ! Panhandlers will be everywhere too so watch your valuables and pocket book as well as pick-pockets . Don't think of it as being funny , those kind of people are real and are out there ! Scammers will be all over the place , out of state license plates are lucky targets !

stewartlittle
174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 14, 2017 15:13 |  #114

Celestron wrote in post #18427531 (external link)
One thing no one has mentioned . Watch out for all your gear !! Never leave it alone , don't even crack your windows to let out hot air . In an event like this theives will be at large in large quantities ! Panhandlers will be everywhere too so watch your valuables and pocket book as well as pick-pockets . Don't think of it as being funny , those kind of people are real and are out there ! Scammers will be all over the place , out of state license plates are lucky targets !

I didn't even think about that! I'm normally not the kind of guy that watches my stuff 100% of the time because I trust people too much. If I decide to go I know of a place off the main road where I use to camp on federal land, maybe it won't be crowded there, but it may be just as crowded as wal mart.

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by spotz04.

Aug 14, 2017 23:11 |  #115

Celestron wrote in post #18427531 (external link)

True, and very good points! In St Louis we have carjackings at gun point on the rise in south county, not do much in rural areas though. And of course murders, but those mostly in the city. They cold bleed into areas of large crowds, hard to say, but the opportunity exists for unsuspecting individuals being targets. Im not so much worried about pick pockets or scammers. More so having a gun shoved in my face for my gear. I will be in my friends backyard, away from the crowds & crazy folks. Yes, everyone be aware of your surroundings & lock everything securely & out of sight. And if at gunpoint wanting your gear, good God, give it to them. Your life is worth so much more!

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,422 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by ct1co2.

Aug 15, 2017 10:23 |  #116

Weather Service forecast is now within range of the eclipse. Forecast models also showing for eastern WY and western NE locales high pressure building in, which would a welcome pattern shift for this event. In this mornings forecast discussion the North Platte weather service office said "early indications for solar eclipse totality early Monday afternoon are dry across western Nebraska". Crossing fingers this verifies.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 35is | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,876 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 15, 2017 10:29 |  #117

ct1co2 wrote in post #18428289 (external link)
Weather Service forecast is now within range of the eclipse. Forecast models also showing for eastern WY and western NE locales high pressure building in, which would a welcome pattern shift for this event. In this mornings forecast discussion the North Platte weather service office said "early indications for solar eclipse totality early Monday afternoon are dry across western Nebraska". Crossing fingers this verifies.

I'm hoping that holds true for eastern Nebraska as well though I have 3 locations licked out. I'll choose my site early Monday morning (2am when I leave home). It would really suck if I drive 8~9 hours just to be rained out. :(

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by ksbal. (3 edits in all)

Aug 15, 2017 13:30 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #118

I can't tell if you are being funny or not. (I know you know your photo stuff! :) )

So I'll put this out there like a serious question - in case others do have questions.

For sun images, a solar filter is required, not just to save your sensor and your eyes, but also to save your shutter.

Think about a magnifying glass focused on the back of your hand in full sun - for 3 hours. if you keep your lens covered except for quick photos, you may be ok, but basically, the shutter can melt/warp without protection. I'm going to have a 500mm lens pointed at the sun for most of the 3 hours for partials and totality, so I've got a filter that I'll have on except for totality. Wide angle lenses may not have this problem, although I'm keeping a white t-shirt over that camera unless taking a picture as it will be pointed on a tripod at the sun too.

Its been interesting to read all the warnings for telescopes as well.. plastic eyepieces melting etc...

Clear skies everyone!

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 15, 2017 13:36 |  #119

Mike Deep wrote in post #18426296 (external link)
I'll be using my all-manual Tamron 60B as I did in 2012... With a solar filter.

sweet lens, wish I could grab one of those but I settled for a 500mm 55bb.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,876 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 15, 2017 13:42 |  #120

I'm bringing my Siggy 150-600 for the sun and another camera with a few lenses for the surroundings. I did some test shots yesterday with the solar filter but right now the sun is very uninteresting. Not a single sun spot on the disk.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

19,826 views & 23 likes for this thread
August, 2017 Total solar eclipse. Too soon to start planning?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.