Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 17:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MF Pentax Super Takumars

les_au
739 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 15, 2011 07:15 |  #16

matthew1371 wrote in post #12225984 (external link)
About a month ago I picked up an SMC Takumar 200mm/f4 to try out and just last week I ran across an early 8-element Super Takumar 50mm/f1.4 . Both of them are fun to shoot with and I'm looking forward to expanding the MF lens collection.

Using the old Takumars fitted to modern DSLRs takes me back to when I was a kid and my Dad gave me his old Spotmatic that he got in the 60's when he was in the military. The old lenses still turn out some great pics.

Shot this last night hand held on my 50D using the SMC Tak 200mm/f4 lens. Cropped just a little bit, not quite 100% but in my opinion still a pretty good shot for a 40-45 year old lens.

Now I'm thinking about something in the 400-500mm range.

I have in my care a pentax SP1000, the 55mm f/2 lens it came with is a heck of a lot easier to focus than the nifty fifty by a good margine. i have some black and white film in that old girl. time to go out an play i think. then i just gotta put together a kit to develop the film

gear list

sponsored links
rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 15, 2011 09:52 as a reply to  @ post 12225984 |  #17

JimmyJam,

Here's the thread to post your pictures with MF lenses.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=644277

rchr
38 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 16, 2011 04:26 |  #18

I use a 50mm 1.4 SMC Takumar. Stopped down, imo is much better than Canon's EF 50mm 1.4.

Only annoying thing is that it overexposes by 2 stop at wide open and by 1 stop at other apertures.
I wonder if this is normal...

On another note, what method/technique/focus​ing screen do you guys use to help with manual focusing?

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2011 06:16 |  #19

rchr wrote in post #12232586 (external link)
I use a 50mm 1.4 SMC Takumar. Stopped down, imo is much better than Canon's EF 50mm 1.4.

Only annoying thing is that it overexposes by 2 stop at wide open and by 1 stop at other apertures.

On another note, what method/technique/focus​ing screen do you guys use to help with manual focusing?

Depends on the body. For a 5D or 5D2, you'd want the Ee-S or Eg-S, respectively. Manual focusing on a crop body is usually a bit more difficult due to smaller viewfinder (with the exception of the 7D). Depending on the crop body model, Canon and some aftermarket screens (Katzeye, etc) are available. Not sure if the 7D can handle interchangeable screens.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 16, 2011 08:09 |  #20

5dc and 5d2 might have a mirror clearance issue with Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4. Not a problem with any of the crop sensor DSLR bodies.

I did try to MF by eyes on both crop (50D) and FF (5d2) before. Both are really difficult. Most relie on AF confirmation chip and live view now. Can't put on a Ee-S because it might get too dark for my other lenses.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

stover98074
421 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 16, 2011 09:15 |  #21

I use manual focus lenses and one of my favorites is an old Takumar 135 3.5 - pre super takumar. This is an older preset and is perfect for hiking and landscapes. It is about the size of a salt shaker.

Not sure about the rest of you, but landscapes for me are with early or late light, on a tripod and stopped down. So automation as in auto focus really does not go to far under these situations.

I think manual focus prime lenses (from Pentax, Nikkor, Contax/Yashica) are an inexpensive way to have several excellent choices and have worked for me on slow to non moving subjects.

This was taken at the San Diego Zoo with a Nikkor 105 2.5 AI lens a few weeks ago. This is also a favorite portrait lens for me.

IMAGE: http://stover98074.smugmug.com/Other/Sharing/i-KcFVWhw/0/M/20110329-img_8877-edit-M.jpg

Canon XSI, Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows, 50 Fujinon EP, 80 El Nikkor, 105 El Nikkor, 135 Fujinon EP
https://sites.google.c​om …xpensivemacroph​otography/ (external link)

Rum ­ Maximus
442 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 16, 2011 15:55 |  #22

I had an EF-D screen (the one with the gridlines) on my 50D but I switched to an EF-S precision focusing screen a few days ago and the performance is much better with the MF lenses. If I stop down to f/5.6 or more the viewfinder is noticeably darker, but I feel that as long as I am shooting in a well lit area its not a show-stopper. Worst case scenario, if I know I'm not going to shoot with my MF lenses I can swap focusing screens as necessary since it takes about a minute total to do.

Micro4/3: : E-PL5 + VF-3 | Lumix 14mm ƒ/2.5 | Oly 14-42mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 IIR | Lumix 45-150mm ƒ/4-5.6 | Oly FL-600R
M39/M42 : Super-Takumar 28mm ƒ/3.5 | Mir-1 37mm ƒ/2.8 | Super-Takumar 50mm ƒ/1.4 | Industar-50 50mm ƒ/3.5 | Petri CC Auto 55mm ƒ/1.8 | Jupiter-9 85mm ƒ/2 | Carenar 135mm ƒ/2.8 | Jupiter-37A 135mm ƒ/3.5 | SMC Takumar 200mm ƒ/4

Enfoco434
53 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by Enfoco434. (2 edits in all)

Aug 17, 2017 01:14 |  #23

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

i love mine
no edit
SMC Takumar 28mm 3.5

Enfoco434
53 posts
Joined Aug 2017

Aug 17, 2017 01:17 |  #24

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

no edit
SMC Takumar 28 3.5

Enfoco434
53 posts
Joined Aug 2017

Aug 19, 2017 20:20 |  #25

les_au wrote in post #12226475 (external link)
matthew1371 wrote in post #12225984 (external link)
About a month ago I picked up an SMC Takumar 200mm/f4 to try out and just last week I ran across an early 8-element Super Takumar 50mm/f1.4 . Both of them are fun to shoot with and I'm looking forward to expanding the MF lens collection.

Using the old Takumars fitted to modern DSLRs takes me back to when I was a kid and my Dad gave me his old Spotmatic that he got in the 60's when he was in the military. The old lenses still turn out some great pics.

Shot this last night hand held on my 50D using the SMC Tak 200mm/f4 lens. Cropped just a little bit, not quite 100% but in my opinion still a pretty good shot for a 40-45 year old lens.

Now I'm thinking about something in the 400-500mm range.

I have in my care a pentax SP1000, the 55mm f/2 lens it came with is a heck of a lot easier to focus than the nifty fifty by a good margine. i have some black and white film in that old girl. time to go out an play i think. then i just gotta put together a kit to develop the film

You got a real workhorse. Pentax had a real love going with those 200mm primes, if you don't have a copy of THE PENTAX WAY I highly suggest it you won't regret it...

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,708 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Aug 20, 2017 12:00 |  #26

The Canon dSLR meter is often wrong in using un-electronicallyconnecte​d lenses. This may (or may not) be fixed by using a 'chipped mount adapter' with the lens.

I have tested four or five lenses, all manual focus, using multiple Olympus lenses, chipped and unchipped adapters as well as more than one brand of aftermarket lens (with OM mount), and each behaves a bit differently in metering. I have found that the closest (but still NOT absolutely right) to accurate exposure is done when stopping down the lens to f/4...and SOME lenses progressively underexpose by greater differential but SOME others cause progressive OVERexposure differential as you stop down! And what happens with one model Canon dSLR can indeed be different than what happens with another model of Canon!

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14450413&po​stcount=12

Generally, if you use the Canon E(x)-S appropriate to your camera, you are better able to manual focus with greater precision in the viewfinder, but this generally works best if the max aperture of the lens in use is f/2.8

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

James ­ Crockett
183 posts
Joined May 2017

Aug 20, 2017 12:14 |  #27

Anybody using the takumar 1:1.8 85mm on a 5dmrkii? I would like to see some portraits of this combo.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,858 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 23, 2017 03:40 |  #28

When it comes to the longer MF lenses, in the f/4 - f/5.6 or slower ranges you will actually do better focusing with the standard focus screen, without aids, since they are optimised for f/4 and slower anyway. The precision screens really only work well when you are using them with f/2.8 or faster lenses.

Of course this is pretty much mute anyway, now that Canon seem to have the fixed screens with fancy LED illunination in all of their current bodies.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

5,454 views & 2 likes for this thread
MF Pentax Super Takumars
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.