Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs 
Thread started 20 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 23:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old MF digital or new FF 35

Camofelix
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 04, 2017 20:59 as a reply to  @ post 18419521 |  #46

Yes, would that be an issue? Unless I'm mistaken we transfer can do transfers up to 2 GB. If there's any issues wit that let me know! Appreciate all the work that both you and CH_Devin have put into this, and would love to see the final results off the original uncompressed files myself.

Gear: Some glass, some metal and some plastic.
Some of my Work : https://www.instagram.​com/felixcleclair (external link)
Greetings from Canada!

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,365 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Aug 05, 2017 00:59 as a reply to  @ Camofelix's post |  #47

That transfer service allows me to transfer files, but only to SPECIFIC email addresses, rather than being a general respository that would be accessible to the POTN readership.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/wetransfer_zpsqutpcdfm.jpg

I don't think I want to obligate myself to having to re-send the files for each person reading this thread and expressing interest!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Camofelix
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 05, 2017 06:16 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #48

By clicking on the expand menu at the bottom left hand corner you can change it from direct send to link. Should look something like this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Greetings from Canada!

CH_Devin
547 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 05, 2017 18:02 |  #49

https://wetransfer.com …2a9e20170805225​754/523d13 (external link)

Here are my files. The link is available for seven days.

16-35mm

Wilt
40,365 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Aug 05, 2017 18:18 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #50

Via PM I made the 5D, 7DII and Hassy files available to Camofelix...took 3 hours just to upload 6 files ( 2 shots)!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,673 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 12, 2017 21:14 |  #51

Wilt wrote in post #18407916 (external link)
Unfortunately, I will not attempt to 'compare' two photos that are not of the same scene taken minutes apart with identical subject...you posted two images, but they are not the basis of 'comparison' - not according to standard sound scientific technique.

I'd agree. The two wrestlers was taken with poor lighting. The single wrestler was in dynamic lighting.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,773 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 23, 2017 05:15 |  #52

Sorry that i am late here, and sorry Wilt that you sent me a PM but i wasn't around for the test, so not sure if it is still fine that i try kind of comparison, the problem is that i have only outdated gear only, Hasselblad H4D-60 only what i have as digital MF, and in 35mm i only have Sony A7r and 1DX as my latest bodies, can't talk about newest body from Canon and Sony such as 5D4 and A7RII, so i don't know if i should try with my current gear or not.

And i don't know if i can use people/models as my subject because this is difficult, i might try with my kids if they cooperate, but if not then i think i will just go with abstract/macro or landscape/cityscape instead, let me know.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Wilt
40,365 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 23, 2017 09:19 |  #53

Tareq wrote in post #18434690 (external link)
Sorry that i am late here, and sorry Wilt that you sent me a PM but i wasn't around for the test, so not sure if it is still fine that i try kind of comparison, the problem is that i have only outdated gear only, Hasselblad H4D-60 only what i have as digital MF, and in 35mm i only have Sony A7r and 1DX as my latest bodies, can't talk about newest body from Canon and Sony such as 5D4 and A7RII, so i don't know if i should try with my current gear or not.

And i don't know if i can use people/models as my subject because this is difficult, i might try with my kids if they cooperate, but if not then i think i will just go with abstract/macro or landscape/cityscape instead, let me know.

Tareq, ANY comparison data point with Hassy digital is better that having NO COMPARISON! The H6D is the current Hassy, and we did our testing with an H5D, so your H4D is not all that 'out of date'...certainly my inclusion of 5D(c) and 7DII are NOT 'current' either! Merely the fact that you HAVE access to something from Hasselblad and from Canon from the recent past 5 years is representative enough!

Tareq
17,773 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 23, 2017 09:29 |  #54

Ok, thanks, i will try my best and see what i can do, it may take time as i am completely busy with astronomy things, but i will give it a try as soon as possible if i can, and hope it can help with something.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Caspita
687 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 03, 2018 15:06 |  #55

Very late to this party, hopefully, I can still share some information.

The absolute biggest difference between MF and 35mm is without a doubt the quality of the file. Sometimes it almost seems like it is cheating when I am going through files in Capture One. Ideally, I would love to shoot everything in MF, but since ISO50 is not always ideal for some of my work the Sony A7RII gets used. I would ask you what your style of shooting is, everything is slower and a bit more technical with an MF camera. 99% of the time I am shooting with it it is mounted on a tripod, this is not that great of a set up for run-and-gun unless it is a very bright day out.

In regards to the files themselves, besides the obvious increase in DR, there is a certain look to the files. I think it's a mix of the depth, color accuracy, and sharpness. The amount of detail you can pull from the shadows and highlights is very impressive.

All that being said if I were to show you a 5x7 print from either the Sony or the MF, most would have a very difficult time noticing much difference. For me, the biggest reason I jumped into MF is that I regularly produce work upwards of 7 feet wide from a single frame.

If you need any more information let me know. I am shooting with a Phase One IQ260.

Casp
Fine Art Site (external link) | Commercial Site (external link)

Camofelix
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 05, 2018 12:19 as a reply to  @ Caspita's post |  #56

Thanks for Posting! Most of what I do is portraiture for the day to day, but in terms of the prints, most of my work is being made to go up to 2'*3' and beyond. What I keep reading is that MF won't make a difference for anything smaller than an 8*10 print, at what point do you find mf really starts to pull away?

Greetings from Canada!

Caspita
687 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 02, 2018 12:56 |  #57

Camofelix wrote in post #18600756 (external link)
Thanks for Posting! Most of what I do is portraiture for the day to day, but in terms of the prints, most of my work is being made to go up to 2'*3' and beyond. What I keep reading is that MF won't make a difference for anything smaller than an 8*10 print, at what point do you find mf really starts to pull away?

I am not sure what the exact size would be before diminishing returns. If you know the largest you are most likely looking to produce work is 2' x 3', the thing I would tell you an MF setup brings is the ultimate ability to crop and reposition the frame after the fact. I have cropped a full third of my frame from my camera and still produced prints that are 30" x 66" that are tack sharp standing a couple of centimeters away.

Casp
Fine Art Site (external link) | Commercial Site (external link)

kellmeister
171 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 09, 2018 08:33 |  #58

I shoot with an IQ160 and have noticed that sometimes you will see a difference between formats and other times you will not. Usually this occurs when I'm shooting portrait sessions at a large aperature (2.8) and controlled lighting. Theres a more delicacy with how the shadows fall on the subject in MF then 35mm. I can also crop a waist-up shot into a headshot, no problem. However, if I'm shooting small aperatures (11-16) then the differences don't seem as great for me, and there's less of a MF presence. Capture one is great for phase one MF tones/colors as this is what their software is built around. The files are a lot more flexible then 35mm, but LR has gotten remarkably good and the difference between them have gotten smaller. I do like shooting with the phase. Everything is more deliberate, the camera feels like an old school film camera, and its something I actually look forward to using. The thing I don't like about MF is that on location or outside the studio, their slow to use vs a DSLR. Usually, I like to work fast and so I may leave the MF behind. I tried a 5dsr and its not bad. It seems right in the middle between my 6d and MF, but it was nothing to get me excited about. I think if you can, everyone should try MF just to give it a go, even if its an older back. It may at least change the way you go about your work.

Canon 5d Mark II - 24-70 f2, 70-200 2.8 mk2, Sigma 50mm F1.4, 85mm f1.8, 35mm f2, 580exII, AB400 x 2, AB800 x 2
Rolleiflex 6003 - 80mm

Tareq
17,773 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 09, 2018 10:28 |  #59

kellmeister wrote in post #18622517 (external link)
I shoot with an IQ160 and have noticed that sometimes you will see a difference between formats and other times you will not. Usually this occurs when I'm shooting portrait sessions at a large aperature (2.8) and controlled lighting. Theres a more delicacy with how the shadows fall on the subject in MF then 35mm. I can also crop a waist-up shot into a headshot, no problem. However, if I'm shooting small aperatures (11-16) then the differences don't seem as great for me, and there's less of a MF presence. Capture one is great for phase one MF tones/colors as this is what their software is built around. The files are a lot more flexible then 35mm, but LR has gotten remarkably good and the difference between them have gotten smaller. I do like shooting with the phase. Everything is more deliberate, the camera feels like an old school film camera, and its something I actually look forward to using. The thing I don't like about MF is that on location or outside the studio, their slow to use vs a DSLR. Usually, I like to work fast and so I may leave the MF behind. I tried a 5dsr and its not bad. It seems right in the middle between my 6d and MF, but it was nothing to get me excited about. I think if you can, everyone should try MF just to give it a go, even if its an older back. It may at least change the way you go about your work.

I stopped upgrading or doing photography since 2014, but i can say that i can still rely on my H4D whenever i want studio photography, and the resolution or quality will not go away just because of time passing, in fact DSLR manufacturers are keep trying and trying to reach that MF level anyway, and they will never reach because it is all about sensor size so simply, even if they make 500mp camera, but i know they won't stop and technology is keep going and people are buying and life goes on, i just don't look forward much further or keep buying and upgrading, i almost lost my interest in photography and my MF is not being touched for years now, but if i will do photography again then i know that i know what i will do and not feeling about "I don't have latest gear, my photography is not gonna be alright or not good enough".

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

5,136 views & 6 likes for this thread
Old MF digital or new FF 35
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.