Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Nov 2016 (Saturday) 18:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Canon 85mm f/1.4 IS (yes, IS) Announced.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Sep 02, 2017 14:47 |  #151

ed rader wrote in post #18443000 (external link)
IS has value even though you have sufficient shutter speed to handhold without. it only takes the slightest movement to take the edge of an excellent image

But ... if high ISO performance really does continue to improve, the benefits of IS in 'ordinary' shooting will become vanishingly small for a lot of focal lengths because it will be possible to shoot at even higher shutter speeds without loss of IQ.

I suppose that tendency will be counter-balanced to some extent by the demands of sensors with higher pixel densities.

However you look at it, though, for the great majority of photographers at least, in the actual use they make of images ... the acuity of the human eye is going to run out before the IQ benefits of IS cut in. Time for an evolution boost?

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,160 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by ed rader.

Sep 02, 2017 14:51 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #152

there will always be a benefit to shooting at the lowest ISOs. then there's this, which is pertinent now:

"Going forward, as sensors become more densely packed with pixels, we must constantly re-evaluate the shutter speeds necessary to stop the effects of camera shake to achieve the sharpest images."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …hutter-Speed-Formula.aspx (external link)

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Sep 02, 2017 15:08 |  #153

DreDaze wrote in post #18443002 (external link)
i'm not sure if it will really come down to profit or not...mainly just keeping up with other brands...if every other brand starts adding stabilization to lenses canon, or anyone would look a little silly to keep it off theirs...

Hey ... you're probably right ... but I still have this faint belief in human rationality ... that people won't spend money on stuff that is neither useful nor pleasing to them.

David.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,441 posts
Gallery: 1762 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 02, 2017 15:09 |  #154

Stabilization is also useful for more than just preventing blur at lower shutter speeds relative to the focal length and sensor size results. On a long lens, it's nice for smoothing out the view while tracking a subject, especially helpful on really long lenses. I love how butter smooth my 600mm gets when IS kicks in for being able to track a flying eyeball.

IS even on wide angles is still useful; the world is moving towards not carrying around clunky heavy gear (tripods), so the more the camera/lens can do, the better. And while maybe a lot of folk here are not big into video as this forum is primarily still-photography based, IS matters a ton to a lot of video folk out there.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Sep 02, 2017 15:14 |  #155

ed rader wrote in post #18443014 (external link)
"Going forward, as sensors become more densely packed with pixels, we must constantly re-evaluate the shutter speeds necessary to stop the effects of camera shake to achieve the sharpest images."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …hutter-Speed-Formula.aspx (external link)

I don't deny that ... but for the vast majority of actual photography applications (display sizes) you get to the point eventually where increases in pixel density ... hence increases in shutter speed ... don't produce benefits that are discernible by any human eye. So we really need that extra evolution boost before the benefits cut in.

No matter ... I'm being too reasonable. Supply will somehow find a demand.

David.

ed ­ rader
23,160 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by ed rader.

Sep 02, 2017 15:46 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #156

you've completely lost me. all I know is a shoot a lot and in challenging conditions and I would prefer IS on all my lenses. my two most used lenses actually don't have IS but I use a tripod most of the time. when I shoot them handheld i'm often in higher ISOs. still I would prefer IS because it does benefit me.

also you can always turn off IS. oh, you don't want to pay for it? well i'm not too happy paying for 4k video or a camera that so many say should have 4k but doesn't. but that's life.

5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Sep 02, 2017 16:03 |  #157

I think we're so spoiled these days. You can handhold below 1/40 just fine at 35mm. The easier it is to take pictures, the more likely photography will be automated. (I'll do the automating.)

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Sep 02, 2017 16:10 as a reply to  @ idkdc's post |  #158

Perhaps I'm just having a Luddite moment ... but I do feel that, as technology squeezes more of the craft out of photography, it will become less satisfying as a pastime ... and probably less rewarding as a profession.

David.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,481 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Sep 02, 2017 16:16 |  #159

DaviSto wrote in post #18443070 (external link)
Perhaps I'm just having a Luddite moment ... but I do feel that, as technology squeezes more of the craft out of photography, it will become less satisfying as a pastime ... and probably less rewarding as a profession.

I'm sure the actual Luddites felt the same about power looms. I don't mean that disparagingly, but it's key to note that, despite the way the term is used now, the actual Luddites were right, their jobs were being automated into oblivion. Many more have been, many more will be. Not just photography.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

ed ­ rader
23,160 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 02, 2017 16:33 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #160

that's what they said about the Canon AE-1 too. every step of the way there is a certain group that yearns for the "good old days". i tell you if it weren't for digitial photography i would have never gotten back into it and i look at the advancements made in just the last 10 years and realize these are the good old days.

dochollidayda
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 02, 2017 16:39 |  #161

Talley wrote in post #18442712 (external link)
They keep saying not a replacement but there is no way they will sell many of them since this is still cheaper and has IS and will be no doubt sharper and AF as fast as any other of their fast lenses.

Until then enjoy cheap used 1.2 prices until they finally do stop the production then after 5 years the value of the 1.2 will increase because it will be a "forgotten amazing lens" like the 50 1.0... well... other then they made a TON of the 1.2 lenses.

I was going to type the exact but I got too lazy on my phone. They made a lot more, but the mint ones will go up in price, if its discontinued.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,210 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2017 16:48 |  #162

dont you have a state of the art late model dslr? :-P

tracking an eyeball
ibis
stacking to decrease noise and increase DR
intervalometer
touch screen
wifi
bluetooth
raw processing
rule of thirds gridlines
zebras
peaking
in body grad filter
30fps
ISO 25
flippy screen
bulb timer

toss all the tech at me, if I dont like, I simply wont use

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by idkdc.

Sep 02, 2017 16:49 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #163

There will always be the top 1% of photographers (who don't frequent these forums), just as it was in the 80's. Just every other group will have less reward than before with automation and information dilution.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,532 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by JeffreyG.

Sep 02, 2017 17:31 as a reply to  @ post 18442956 |  #164

No IS on the 24-70 II is why I own it and the 24-105L, and why the 24-105L is still my travel lens.

Don't forget that a slow shutter speed is often the whole point, so high ISO alone is not a fix. If I want the water blurred, then I want IS, not high ISO.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,434 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scrumhalf.

Sep 02, 2017 18:10 |  #165

Good point. Not dissing IS.. I'll take it if it is there, but for my usage model, lack of IS has not hurt me at that FL. Above 100mm is a different story, of course, and I am grateful for the excellent IS on my 100-400L, 500/4 II, etc.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links

40,235 views & 86 likes for this thread
New Canon 85mm f/1.4 IS (yes, IS) Announced.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.