Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,206 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 11, 2017 16:42 |  #6646

I sent mine in twice. First for the same issue you had. Second time, even after MFA it just seemed like I had to push sharpening in PP too much to get pleasing results. I'm pretty happy with it now. It can tend to miss from time to time but my keeper rate is very good.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,694 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 11, 2017 16:42 |  #6647

digital paradise wrote in post #18449629 (external link)
I had my eyes on the 1DX II. I really wanted it. Even joined CPS for the rebate but decided I could not justify it. Besides I never liked grips or grip shaped bodies but would have adapted.

Have you ever held a 1D camera? They feel completely different that another model with a grip. They feel hmmmmmmmmm just right, at least to me. I just got a used 6Dc. I added the grip and it feels more natural to me than the bare camera..... but it doesn't feel like my 1D IV.

I loved my first 7D2...until it stopped working properly. The details are here on POTN, I don't bore you with them again. Had it performed the way it started out, I never would have bought the 1D IV.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,206 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 11, 2017 16:56 |  #6648

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18449650 (external link)
Have you ever held a 1D camera? They feel completely different that another model with a grip. They feel hmmmmmmmmm just right, at least to me. I just got a used 6Dc. I added the grip and it feels more natural to me than the bare camera..... but it doesn't feel like my 1D IV.

I loved my first 7D2...until it stopped working properly. The details are here on POTN, I don't bore you with them again. Had it performed the way it started out, I never would have bought the 1D IV.

I have to admit I have not. Many years ago I had a Minolta with a grip and could never get used to it. Maybe I'll head down to the local mom and pop shop and try it out. It does scare me. I'll leave the credit card at home.

Image Editing OK

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
14,069 posts
Gallery: 2031 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 11, 2017 16:57 |  #6649

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18449638 (external link)
You get fabulous shots with your 7D2, Jeff. I got some good ones too, but I kept missing shots that I didn't think should have been missed. My wife and I are retirees in a modest retirement. Yes, we have some camera gear, but we don't have a boat, motorhome, sports car, time share, etc. ;-)a

BTW - here's one of my good shots with the 7D2 + 1.4x III + 100-400 II. If they all came out like this, I would still have the 7D2.

QUOTED IMAGE

I know its what I would love to shoot, I almost jumped on the MedicineMan's back a few weeks ago when he but it up for sale. I must say I do get long strings of in focus images. Sometimes to many as I keep everything. I would love to try the 1DxII.. I'm sure I would never give it back.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Pondrader's gallery.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,206 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 11, 2017 17:06 |  #6650

I always do well consistently.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zps7gmqs4mq.jp​g~original (external link)

Image Editing OK

FTb
528 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 11, 2017 17:17 |  #6651

Archibald wrote in post #18449607 (external link)
AI Servo tracks the motion of the subject and calculates where it will be when the shutter fires. So if the motion is steady, the subject should be in focus.

Interesting. Maybe too geeky for this thread, but I wonder how many shots it takes for the algorithm to determine the anticipated point of focus. Two would tell it the direction of travel and speed, but only if speed were constant. If the the subject were accelerating or decelerating I'm guessing it would need at lest three and possibly more. Just wondering whether it factors in acceleration or not.

My flickr (external link)
Favorite lenses: Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L II, 135/2L, 70-200L IS II, TS-E 17mm f/4L

LJ3Jim
953 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 10 months ago by LJ3Jim. (2 edits in all)

Sep 11, 2017 18:03 |  #6652

FTb wrote in post #18449677 (external link)
Interesting. Maybe too geeky for this thread, but I wonder how many shots it takes for the algorithm to determine the anticipated point of focus. Two would tell it the direction of travel and speed, but only if speed were constant. If the the subject were accelerating or decelerating I'm guessing it would need at lest three and possibly more. Just wondering whether it factors in acceleration or not.

Servo is constantly calculating as long as AF is active. It's not dependent on actually taking a shot. As a former computer programmer, I would love to see the algorithms and code that do the servo focusing. It is quite a feat.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

LJ3Jim
953 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 11, 2017 18:08 |  #6653

digital paradise wrote in post #18449657 (external link)
I have to admit I have not. Many years ago I had a Minolta with a grip and could never get used to it. Maybe I'll head down to the local mom and pop shop and try it out. It does scare me. I'll leave the credit card at home.

I hadn't use a grip prior to the 1DX2. I found it didn't matter to me. I still go back and forth between the 1DX2 and the un-gripped 5D4 and don't seem to favor either one in that regard.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

markesc
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited 10 months ago by markesc.

Sep 12, 2017 00:18 |  #6654

A young coyote this evening...

<---- this one has the rolling shutter of the 5dmkiv that some reviewers complain about. I added a slight amount of stabilization in Sony movie maker, but the heat shimmer and lack of a tripod made things go from bad to worse!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

zorroa3
111 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 12, 2017 06:06 |  #6655

Thanks a lot guys. After a night and there were tons of input. Can't reply all but I've read and try to apply your recommendations.

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18449604 (external link)
There's lots of good advice prior to my post here, and you should carefully consider it. That said, I had another experience. My 7D2 was always a finicky body. I could stand in my back yard and take three successive photos of a fence post. Sometimes two of them were identical, but more often all three were different. I spent a lot of time with test shots, different cases, MFA, etc. Nothing provided the consistency that I expected from that body.

Last summer I finally gave up and traded way up to the 1DX2. The difference is amazing. I can take that same fence post 100 times in a row, and all the photos will be the same. Focus is extremely reliable in the field as well. None of my lenses or my shooting techniques changed; the body made all the difference.

Prior to the 7D2, I also used a 60D and 70D. They were also very reliable within the limits of their capabilities. For me, the 7D2 was the one outlier in my Canon experience.

I've since added a 5D4. It seems as good as the 1DX2, but I haven't tested it much in the field under "action" conditions. The 14 fps of the 1DX2 is very addicting... :-)

Totally agree. 1DX2 is out of my reach, guess I just have to live with its imperfection and take more and more photos :-)

Pondrader wrote in post #18449388 (external link)
Next time shut off Stabilization and use centre point.. It will show you just how much your bird is completely out of frame... remember those wings are only there 50%of the time. I think your not getting any good contrast in your subject shooting with the sun hitting you on the right side 90deg to the camera. Your success rate would have gone up if you would have used centre with helpers as zone needs a ton of subject in the viewfinder.. at least 50% coverage. zone is a complicated animal to master. and you cant trust that software to tell you exactly just where the AF points are really landing in real time. you can see when you did hit focus the subject was much larger in the viewfinder and better lit by the sun. shooting fast moving subjects in hi contrast light with varied back grounds is not for the faint of heart. using a single point forces you to become smoother and more precise in your swing. turning off image stabilization shows you just how smooth your not... and just how fast they really are. O and all the above is just my two cents..

If you think Swallows are hard try hitting one of these.. they never sit still either.. but thats the challenge
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=184​49388&i=i183689122
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

The 50% coverage requirement for zone AF... that's new to me. Thanks for the infor. Your pine marten is really nice :D

zorroa3
111 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 10 months ago by zorroa3.

Sep 12, 2017 06:13 |  #6656

digital paradise wrote in post #18449379 (external link)
No matter what camera settings you choose, etc AF is all about contrast and we have no control over that. There is no fine tuning of that settings. Just where we place the AF point which is very difficult when BIF.

From Saturday. Not swallows but I quickly swung around and focused in the duck when I heard it start to move. This is with a 1.4 III. There was enough contrast to the cam to quickly focus.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.zenoncharph​otography.com/p7157957​71/e95b06fbf  (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.zenoncharph​otography.com/p7157957​71/e95b06f96  (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.zenoncharph​otography.com/p7157957​71/e95b02de8  (external link)

Thanks for the input. Will looking for more contrast next time I left home :-)

Also, I'm amazed how much you can crop and still get a lot of details from the full frame sensor...

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,206 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 13, 2017 12:35 |  #6657

zorroa3 wrote in post #18450038 (external link)
Thanks for the input. Will looking for more contrast next time I left home :-)

Also, I'm amazed how much you can crop and still get a lot of details from the full frame sensor...

I like pushing both my FF and Crop to the max. Bit a hobby for me.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,206 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 13, 2017 12:36 |  #6658

A shower before the long flight south

IMAGE: http://www.zenoncharphotography.com/img/s12/v183/p2515185482-5.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.zenoncharph​otography.com/p6728220​42/e95eaaf4a  (external link)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,206 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 13, 2017 12:46 |  #6659

Here is another. Duck from bottom left.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpsyl3jhyvv.jp​g~original (external link)

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpsryubxcdj.jp​g~original (external link)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,206 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 13, 2017 13:27 |  #6660

IMAGE: http://www.zenoncharphotography.com/img/s5/v131/p2515265947-5.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.zenoncharph​otography.com/p6728220​42/e95ebe99b  (external link)

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

2,105,854 views & 21,307 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.