Challenge #657- Monuments
Description of this week's topic: Here in the States there has much controversy of late regarding Monuments and their appropriate relation to history. I do not intend for this to be a political contest but rather a celebration of how your honor your events/heroes around the world. So show me a monument that you like. Identify the event or person being honored in the title. As always excellent composition and exposure will win the day
Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.
To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo. Don't forget your Camera Model. Post until Monday noon GMT, 2 October 2017.
Photo Submissions Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X mark II,G7 X Mark II and powershot Pro 1.
- Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
- Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1280 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
- Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
- Posting -- One photo per photographer in each challenge. Photo Title in the first line of the post. Camera model. EXIF data, if you like.
- Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
- Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
- Time One challenge every week, on the following schedule: New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning. Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced. Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page. Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page. Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon. Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. Thank you.
Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.
Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.
Great entries this week and some “out of the box” thinking as well by some. As always with our “Merry Band of Intrepid Photographers” it is hard to pick one over another…but pick I must so here goes:
Mt. Rushmore by Maureen: A well composed and exposed capture of an American classic monument. I love the sharpness of the faces and the deep blue of the sky.
'Freddie Gilroy and the Belsen Stragglers' by Car: An intriguing and well exposed photo of a gentlemen who is in a thoughtful mood staring out at the water. Love the patina of the material…it has aged well. Please tell us more about this intriguing character.
Foggy Captain Cook Whitby this week by Trumper: Interesting photo of the Captain overlooking the castle ruins. I like the ethereal look the fog adds to the photo.
Presidential monuments in everyday use by OhLook: Ah…my favorite approach…an ”Out of the Box” slant to the challenge. Well interpreted, well composed, and well exposed.
"What Monument?" ( El Cid Campeador, 1040-1099 AD. ) In S.F. by CarloY: “Out of the Box” for sure. Nice exposure and play of light and shadows. Looks like the kids at the foot of El Cid are more interested in using the monument as a table than in the history it represents.
And the Winners are:
3rd Place – OhLook: Presidential monuments in everyday use
2nd Place – Maureen: Mt. Rushmore
1st Place – Car: 'Freddie Gilroy and the Belsen Stragglers'
Over to you Car…Challenge # 658 is all yours!