Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Sep 2017 (Friday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85 1.8 Focus issue

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 9 months ago by CheshireCat. (2 edits in all)

Sep 30, 2017 18:15 |  #16

amfoto1 wrote in post #18463587 (external link)
That's B.S. In fact, for many purposes it's superior to the far more expensive 85/1.2L II. The "old" f/1.8 is much faster focusing and a better choice for any sort of sports/action shooting. It's also a lot smaller and less intrusive.

I never said the 85/1.2 has faster focus, and yes, it is also an old lens.
About the “many purposes” you are talking about, they are only AF speed and portability. For everything else, the 85/1.8 is an obsolete 25-year old lens.
This does not mean that you can’t take awesome photos with it.
Canon delayed the release of a modern 85mm lens until Sigma came out with its 85 Art. That is the real sad part of the story.

Back to the subject, the problem with AI Servo is that the camera predicts the movement of the subject, and the lens must be able to precisely focus where the camera tells it to go in realtime.
Apart from speed, the precision and accuracy of the lens AF motor is critical for AI Servo to correctly track the subject in realtime.
In single shot, there is no such problem, as the AF closed-loop can correct for lens motor errors, and has all the time it needs to converge to focus.

In any case, I’d send the lens to Canon to be checked.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,085 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Sep 30, 2017 18:34 |  #17

amfoto1 wrote in post #18463587 (external link)
I have no idea why anyone would "avoid using AI Servo with non-IS lenses". I've never even given it a thought before and use it with both. Focusing and images stabilization are two different systems that don't have very much interaction. And in fact, after using various IS lenses for over 15 years, if anything I think Canon IS "helps" the camera & lens focus more quickly (regardless of mode), by stabilizing the target that the AF system is trying to lock onto. But all that's neither here nor there with non-IS lenses.... I see no reason not to use AI Servo with them, too. Works fine!

Most of my AI Servo experience, IS lens preference, comes from my experience of trying to get repeated sharp images with the 50 megapixel 5DSR. Your comments about IS helping is actually making my point for me - and what I learned after months and months of testing trying to find the best working lenses for the 5DSR - and realizing how important a stable platform is - and why, paradoxically, AI Servo, with its repeated firing of the AF mechanism, hurts the stability platform - and why that is extremely detrimental when using a high megapixel camera and trying to extract the maximum resolution.

I don't in anyway believe that my comments above are relevant to this thread - but I have answered them, for you, to tell you why I never, ever, will use AI Servo, with a 5DSR, while handholding, unless the lens has IS - but more importantly, I don't use any lens, on the 5DSR, that doesn't have IS - I in fact sold the 35L, 50L, 85L II and 135L because after months of testing, every way to Sunday, I determined, and have enormous amounts of data to prove it, that you need 1/6x FL to get tack sharp images on the 5DSR when lenses do not have IS - and that AI Servo makes the problem worse, not better, than Single Shot. As an aside, I have replaced all the above lenses with the Tamron 45 & 85 1.8 VC and I'm waiting for the Canon 135L IS to be released - and can tell you that there is no comparison for handheld sharpness. In comparison, for my 20 megapixel 1DXii, I use the 24-70 F2.8 II, and the Canon 35Lii F1.4 and the images produced are tack sharp for 20 megapixels - but basically useless when trying to extract 50 megapixels of detail - thus I am waiting for delivery of my Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,466 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 30, 2017 22:32 |  #18

Thanks everyone for their input. After 13 years of shooting and having shot a lot of higher end glass, I can say, with relative confidence, it's not a technique problem. I can't explain it either as this is the first lens I've ever had where I get this type of OOF completely soft image, but only when using the VF.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow and see if anything new comes out and, if so, I'll post some samples.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

13,538 views & 0 likes for this thread
85 1.8 Focus issue
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.