Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 08 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 11:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D MARK III

mcoren
431 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 28, 2017 07:02 |  #31

DreDaze wrote in post #18461917 (external link)
there's no telling what canon will do...the 70D had wifi before the 7DIII came out...

That's a good point (assuming you meant to say 7DII not III). It's all marketing and "product positioning." If the 7Diii is going to be aimed at the high end, i.e. pros, Canon might make the determination that wireless connectivity is more of an "amateur" feature. They could decide that pros tend to want to review and post-process their images before presenting them, so such connectivity isn't needed. Amateurs (Rebel customers), the thinking might go, are more inclined to take a snapshot and want to post it to social media immediately. For studio setups, they would have the USB connectivity they've had for years (hopefully bumped up to USB 3 or C?).

Not saying I agree, just that they could very likely decide not to include it. Personally, in the 3 years I've had my 70D, I think I've turned on the WiFi twice. It always seemed like too much of a pain to get it connected. A card reader attached to my computer is much faster and easier. I'd rather have the built-in GPS tagging of the 7Dii.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, 7D, and 100 (film SLR)
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (non-C)
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,273 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Sep 28, 2017 07:37 |  #32

WiFi is not an amateur thing. Just because you don't use it much doesn't mean it isn't extremely useful in the pro space. Since the 5D4 has it, and the 7D3 would be the APS-C equivalent, I am quite sure it will have it. Also to lend credibility to that statement, Canon actually created a niche market product to provide WiFi easily and cheaply to the 7D2 and 5DS series specifically. Why go through the R&D, marketing and manufacturing of such a device to provide WiFi to 3 models unless there was a need established for those models?

WiFi will undoubtedly be a part of every camera Canon produces from this point forward, especially given the world we are in.

What Canon needs to be working on would be a whole new host of features and functions, whether copied from competition or innovative within the walls at Canon, and decide which models will get which features/functions/har​dware, instead of just juggling the existing ones they have had for years on different models. There are only so many combinations of AF system/Wifi/GPS/Flip LCD/Touch Screen/Max Shutter that you can do across 7+ model lines, not to mention those are "old" features at this point and do nothing during new camera introductions.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,052 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 01, 2017 01:33 |  #33

Of course rumours are rumours. 1DX II focusing? That would be something if true. I think Canon may have to d this to compete with the D500.

https://www.dailycamer​anews.com …ark-iii-specs-leaked-web/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,084 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 01, 2017 10:58 |  #34

digital paradise wrote in post #18463765 (external link)
Of course rumours are rumours. 1DX II focusing? That would be something if true. I think Canon may have to d this to compete with the D500.

https://www.dailycamer​anews.com …ark-iii-specs-leaked-web/ (external link)

And the Sony A7III. Sure it's a FF camera but it's hitting the same price point.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,649 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 01, 2017 11:51 |  #35

I wonder if I'll ever be among the first users of a new camera body... no matter the brand. I wasn't happy to have my 7D2 start acting up. It was early enough in the production run that Canon had no idea how to fix things. They ended up replacing it. By that time, I was on to the 1D IV and sold the new 7D2 before trying it.

If I end up being interested in the 7D3, I'll definitely wait until things have settled out before I buy one.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,052 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 01, 2017 12:06 |  #36

I said I would not be a first adopter again. I waited a while with for my 5D4 but I never had any issues with the 3 predecessors so I was confident. It was more of which direction to take. If it truly is offered with 1DX II focusing, not a hybrid then I don't know. Restraint may be difficult. Maybe a few weeks :-)

Image Editing OK

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,826 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 01, 2017 12:13 |  #37

gjl711 wrote in post #18463958 (external link)
And the Sony A7III. Sure it's a FF camera but it's hitting the same price point.

Does anyone use sony for sports/wildlife though...i dont think i've encountered anyone out with one while birding

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,649 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 01, 2017 13:38 |  #38

DreDaze wrote in post #18463999 (external link)
Does anyone use sony for sports/wildlife though...i dont think i've encountered anyone out with one while birding

MedMan posted some great photos with his Sony the other day in Bird Portraits, I think.. let me look.. post #11272

https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=144921​6&page=752

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2018 16:52 |  #39

I have a 7D2 & 5D4. I shoot almost everything, but BIF is one of my big passions. Since getting the 5D4 I find I am using it more for BIF than the 7D2. The AF on the 7D2 is good, but the 5D4 is better. I find that keeping the focus lock on the BIF is more reliable even though I am giving up the reach of the FF, I get better results. Also the 30 mp makes it more friendly for cropping.
My wish for the 7D3 is the same or better AF system as the 5D4 and a few more megapixels to have the crop advantage my FF has. I love the backbutton options I have with both of my cameras, but the 5D4 has better options, so seeing that on the 7D3 would also be desirable.
WiFi is of no importance to me, but hey, add it. An articulating screen would be nice too.
I have seen comparisons of the IQ between the D500 & 7D2, & no doubt about it, the Nikon excels. So Canon up your game on IQ as well.

That is my wish list for the 7D3.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2018 17:27 |  #40

DreDaze wrote in post #18461207 (external link)
isn't the canon competition to the d850 the 5dIV?

You are right, and the 5D4 has been out for a while, whereas the D850 has only been being available for less than 2 months. One of the people in my photo club got one he had preordered about a month ago. He is in love with it now.
I have a 5D4 & I am extremely pleased with it.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,052 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 15, 2018 18:53 |  #41

guntoter wrote in post #18541692 (external link)
I have a 7D2 & 5D4. I shoot almost everything, but BIF is one of my big passions. Since getting the 5D4 I find I am using it more for BIF than the 7D2. The AF on the 7D2 is good, but the 5D4 is better. I find that keeping the focus lock on the BIF is more reliable even though I am giving up the reach of the FF, I get better results. Also the 30 mp makes it more friendly for cropping.
My wish for the 7D3 is the same or better AF system as the 5D4 and a few more megapixels to have the crop advantage my FF has. I love the backbutton options I have with both of my cameras, but the 5D4 has better options, so seeing that on the 7D3 would also be desirable.
WiFi is of no importance to me, but hey, add it. An articulating screen would be nice too.
I have seen comparisons of the IQ between the D500 & 7D2, & no doubt about it, the Nikon excels. So Canon up your game on IQ as well.

That is my wish list for the 7D3.

I'm pretty much on the same page.

Image Editing OK

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 16, 2018 09:22 |  #42

I took photos this weekend with my 7DII and my 1Dx at a cheer competition. ISO was roughly 6400 for all photos and I used my 70-200 2.8 IS VII. Surprisingly, the images out of the full frame were sharper and cleaner when zoomed at roughly the same viewing size even though the 7DII provided the extra reach. Maybe with ample light the 7DII performs well, but in lower light, you can't beat a newer full frame.

Maybe a 7DIII will have much better low light capability, but I haven't seen any indication from Canon that they can do it with a crop camera yet.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,273 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 16, 2018 09:47 |  #43

Crop out the 1.6 fov then resize to the same resolution as the 7d2, then compare. That may yield the same exact results you obtained, but I always like to first level the playing field via resolution first, before doing any kind of visual comparisons. Too many other factors could be introduced without doing this.

Also have you micro adjusted the focus on the 7d2?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,052 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 16, 2018 09:56 |  #44

I love cropping to the extremes. I guess love to do so because I can't afford the big boy lenses yet so it came out of necessity. I have pushed both my 7D and 7D2 to the max fan got excellent results but I know my crops cannot do this.

5D4 and crop is from bottom left

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,273 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 16, 2018 10:30 |  #45

Again, the proper way to equalize these would be to crop out the APS-C FOV on the FF file, then resize back to 5486 on the long side, then compare 100% crops, correct?

This fixes the enlargement factor differences that you would end up having to deal with anyways when printing. This is going to have a more pronounced outcome I suspect with the 1dx2 than with the 5d4 however.

I have gotten some outstanding 100% crops with detail from my 7D2, but I also get some that are not.

sponsored links

6,315 views & 24 likes for this thread
7D MARK III
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.