Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

On1 Photo RAW 2018

eddieb1
859 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 04, 2017 13:07 as a reply to  @ post 18465891 |  #16

I apologize for assuming you were connected with On1.

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,156 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 04, 2017 13:10 |  #17

kirkt wrote in post #18465848 (external link)
I bought 2017 when it came out, but it just sits on my machine and I barely use it - there is no compelling reason to do so. ...Photo Raw.they should be aware of how this kind of BS will playkirk

MCAsan wrote in post #18465891 (external link)
For me, too many large holes in the product.

Agree and ditto. Basically sits on my computer, too. In fact, I do not develop raw with it or use presets at all. I originally got the bundle because of the resize feature. And because they have so thoroughly bungled the implementation of the Resize feature from the old 10.5 suite to the new Photo RAW, ON1 Photo Raw 2017 sits totally unused. I use the old 10.5 resize instead.

Lately I have said some nice things about them. But going back years, it will be verified I have predicted that among the trio of windows packages - Nik, Topaz, and On1 - that ON1 would be the first to go. With this latest poor PR stunt, I think they will facilitate their demise. You DON'T sell software to people with the promise it will be completed and promise features, but when you do complete it try to charge them again. Only a scummy organization would do so.

kirkt wrote in post #18465848 (external link)
They do produce a lot of content, videos specifically, but they pretty much repeat the basic idea - here is an image I shot, here is how I edit it with Photo Raw

Yep. It has been apparent to me for some time that the On1 Photo Raw 2017 did not end up like they promised before its release, and has not been as profitable as they hoped. And that they rely on the aftersell content to keep their organization alive. Well, this latest stunt may negatively affect that, too.

Website (external link) |

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,832 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 04, 2017 13:15 as a reply to  @ post 18465891 |  #18

What is also interesting is that one must pay for the OnOne Plus membership to read and post on their forums. It would take a special kind of dedication to being irked to pay for the privilege of access to the forum so you can tell them how ridiculous their approach is!

kirk

Kirk
---

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 04, 2017 13:17 |  #19

It is not surprising to me as it seems to be their way to continually monetize the software. At the yearly upgrade path they seem to be on $7.50 a month is not bad (at least for me as an early adopter). Proshow Producer does the same thing as with a lot of other software companies.

It would have been nice to have all of the features promised in the first release.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2017 13:23 |  #20

Honest, I would say.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,832 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 04, 2017 13:31 |  #21

I emailed them with some generalized points about the cost of upgrade to 2018 versus the performance and expectations of PR 2017. I am pretty sure I will get a generic non-informative response, if any response at all.

I may have been a tiny little bit snarky.

kirk

Kirk
---

lacogada
318 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015

Oct 04, 2017 13:41 |  #22

kirkt wrote in post #18465917 (external link)
What is also interesting is that one must pay for the OnOne Plus membership to read and post on their forums. It would take a special kind of dedication to being irked to pay for the privilege of access to the forum so you can tell them how ridiculous their approach is!

kirk

:-):-):-)

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 05, 2017 10:47 |  #23

They had a special up through the 30th to get a free upgrade to 2018. Not sure why it expired like that other than shenanigans. It should be offered now through the full release of 2018.

--
John

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital_AM.

Oct 05, 2017 10:53 |  #24

jc1350 wrote in post #18466518 (external link)
They had a special up through the 30th to get a free upgrade to 2018. Not sure why it expired like that other than shenanigans. It should be offered now through the full release of 2018.

From their site:

Price and Availability
ON1 Photo RAW 2018 will be available for download as a free public beta on October 6th from the ON1 website. Previous owners of any ON1 app (or ON1 plug-in) can upgrade for just $79.99, regularly $99.99. Those who don’t own an ON1 app can pre-order for $119.99. For a limited time, ON1 Photo RAW 2018 is will be bundled with some excellent bonus materials which include: Three ON1 Photo RAW 2018 Courses by Product Director Dan Harlacher, and all of their 2017 and 2018 Loyalty Rewards. A single purchase of ON1 Photo RAW 2018 works with both Mac and Windows and includes activation on up to five computers. The full release of ON1 Photo RAW 2018 is currently scheduled for the end of October, a free 30 day trial will also be available at that time. ON1 will also be releasing another update to the previous version, ON1 Photo RAW 2017, later this year. This update will include support for new cameras, lenses, and bug fixes.

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 05, 2017 11:04 |  #25

Oh, you know...that special I saw was for new buyers (I think it was $99.99) + the free upgrade to 2018. Geared to new folks...like me I guess, but I wanted to try it before I bought it.

I'm looking for a Lightroom replacement. I'm just a home user with no sales to recover the cost of the LR subscription. I'd rather pay once and use it until I can't. Still slinging a Canon 30D around. I'd love to get the 7D Mk II one day. Probably after the Mk III is released. Doh!

On1 Raw is on my short list. Manager like LR, but not required (great of one-off directories that won't stick around).

Any other products like this I can check out? Most seem to not have any kind of DAM.

I'm on Mac OS and hate photos.app. Loved Aperture.

--
John

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 05, 2017 11:24 |  #26

What's Macphun? Is it for Windows? And what's the damage (cost)?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 05, 2017 11:51 |  #27

jc1350 wrote in post #18466542 (external link)
Oh, you know...that special I saw was for new buyers (I think it was $99.99) + the free upgrade to 2018. Geared to new folks...like me I guess, but I wanted to try it before I bought it.

I'm looking for a Lightroom replacement. I'm just a home user with no sales to recover the cost of the LR subscription. I'd rather pay once and use it until I can't. Still slinging a Canon 30D around. I'd love to get the 7D Mk II one day. Probably after the Mk III is released. Doh!

On1 Raw is on my short list. Manager like LR, but not required (great of one-off directories that won't stick around).

Any other products like this I can check out? Most seem to not have any kind of DAM.

I'm on Mac OS and hate photos.app. Loved Aperture.

You can buy LR 6 stand alone for $149 from adobe.

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 05, 2017 13:46 |  #28

Yeah, I might go with the stand-alone LR. I thought On1 would be less expensive, but the normal first-time purchase, while lower than LR, isn't low enough to really be of much concern. The upgrade pricing is the same...assuming Adobe doesn't go 100% subscription by the time I'm needing to upgrade.

Why fix what isn't broken?

--
John

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 05, 2017 14:19 |  #29

Check DxO Optics Pro. At basic conversion (demosaicing) it's much better than ON1 Photo RAW, almost as good as Canon's DPP.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 05, 2017 14:35 |  #30

jc1350 wrote in post #18466651 (external link)
Yeah, I might go with the stand-alone LR. I thought On1 would be less expensive, but the normal first-time purchase, while lower than LR, isn't low enough to really be of much concern. The upgrade pricing is the same...assuming Adobe doesn't go 100% subscription by the time I'm needing to upgrade.

Why fix what isn't broken?

One1 does somethings LR does not . So there is that benefit. I have been working in LR a long time so I prefer LR over ON1 for most of my work flow.

sponsored links

25,988 views & 18 likes for this thread
On1 Photo RAW 2018
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.