Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,309 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 13, 2017 05:23 |  #16

aladyforty wrote in post #18471562 (external link)
Canon for the lenses

Same for me.

sponsored links
mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by mystik610. (3 edits in all)

Oct 13, 2017 06:08 |  #17

Mathmans wrote in post #18471670 (external link)
Still learning so would someone explain to me, why Canon lenses are better?

Because most people here own Canon lenses :-P

As someone who shoots neither systems, I'd say Canon and Nikon lenses are basically on par...there are a few lenses that might tilt some people in favor of one side or the other, and I don't doubt that people here will cherry pick certain lenses to defend their position. It can be relative if there is a lens you need that Canon that Nikon doesn't (or vice versa), but nothing about the lens line-ups comprehensively seems to make one better than the other IMO. Plus, Sigma makes glass for both systems :-)

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Mathmans
270 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mathmans.

Oct 13, 2017 06:24 as a reply to  @ mystik610's post |  #18

I agree. Seems to me that majority of those who say Canon lenses are better don't have 1st hand experiences with Nikon lenses.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 13, 2017 07:06 |  #19

Mathmans wrote in post #18471725 (external link)
I agree. Seems to me that majority of those who say Canon lenses are better don't have 1st hand experiences with Nikon lenses.

Disagree. I went with Canon when I switched from film to digital almost 10 years ago. I had no experience with either brand; I shot Yashica bodies and C/Y glass. I knew I was going to spend $10+ on camera gear. My decision was not based on ANY personal experience, but reading review after review after review, mostly written by professional reviewers who shot primarily three brands: Canon, Nikon, and Pentax. At the time, Pentax had some really good stuff, but a limited variety. Add to that the weird Nikon complication of this lens type doesn't work the that body type, and Canon was the hands-down 1st choice. All Canon EF glass works on ANY EOS Camera ever made. Now that I'm in over my head, it doesn't matter. I've got Canon. I'm staying with Canon.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,627 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 13, 2017 07:33 |  #20

There are certain lenses Canon has that Nikon doesn’t (for evample tilt/shift 17 and 24mm lenses that have independent axis, or the MPE-65 macro that manually focuses from 1x to 5x). Nikon does make great glass, but their current price structure seems to be introducing the latest version of the lens at a premium price. For example, the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L II was $2200 when it came out. The Nikon FL is $2800, and then there’s a new 100th anniversary one that’s $4000 (looking at the specs, it’s really for serious Nikon fans: it’s the FL with different case and 11 lens elements included). So while Nikon bodies have great value compared to Canon bodies, for that person shopping for the whole system, the price of new lenses will be a factor as well. And of course, people on this forum have more of a bias towards Canon anyway. The grass looks green with Nikon, but I can’t afford the hit of selling my gear to then spend some more for my duplicate Nikon gear.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,584 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Oct 13, 2017 07:34 |  #21

If I had to start from scratch, the D850 would get a long, long look from me, and I believe I would go with it. It is nearly ISO invariant, tons of resolution, FPS isn't great (just like the 5D4), no AA filter, focus bracketing, tilt screen, etc.

I find the wifi feature a bit lacking or underperforming vs Canon though, and Canon has some killer lenses. Lenses would absolutely be the only reason to stay with Canon, but with the advent of some great 3rd party glass, that reduces the "Canon Lens" factor a bit when choosing a different camera manufacturer.

Now if the question had been "Would you sell your Canon gear to go with the D850", the answer could be no, but that wasn't the question, so I won't officially answer it. :D

All I can say to all of this, especially after the 6D2 release, Canon better take a long hard look in the mirror, and not hold back on anything with the subsequent releases. The 90D, 7D3, 5D5, and 1DX3 all better bring some killer functionality to the table. If they continue to do the warmed over sensor releases in some bodies, with features turned off on some, and other superficial differentiation between the bodies and prior models, they are going to feel the impacts of that in about 3-5 years.

An injured or cornered animal is very dangerous indeed, so Nikon having financial issues is dangerous to Canon, Nikon is in survival mode and their offerings will show that.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Mathmans
270 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mathmans.

Oct 13, 2017 07:50 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #22

Nothing wrong staying with Canon. After all we are talking about pile of electronics and glass so we don't need to hammer each other because of a brand name.
I'm visiting some Canon, Nikon and Pentax forums and I've noticed that this forum has some of the most aggressive Canon users. So I know almost all the answers without reading when someone asks here if it's a good idea to switch for example to Nikon. Never ask that on a forum with so aggressive Canon users.
Whenever someone asks about switching here is :
-new to this forum
-wants to provoke
-would like to switch but he can't so he is looking for a comfort

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,584 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Oct 13, 2017 07:56 |  #23

Mathmans wrote in post #18471765 (external link)
Nothing wrong staying with Canon. After all we are talking about pile of electronics and glass so we don't need to hammer each other because of a brand name.
I'm visiting some Canon, Nikon and Pentax forums and I've noticed that this forum has some of the most aggressive Canon users. So I know almost all the answers without reading when someone asks here if it's a good idea to switch for example to Nikon. Never ask that on a forum with so aggressive Canon users.
Whenever someone asks about switching here is :
-new to this forum
-wants to provoke
-would like to switch but he can't so he is looking for a comfort

The problem with some here is that they are not answering the question that was laid forth. It wasn't "would you switch to Nikon for the D850 given your current investment in Canon", it is "Knowing what you know now, and having no equipment at all, which direction would you go". If people would objectively answer it, there would be alot less emotional responses, I feel.

The D850 meets or beats just about everything on the 5D4, even I will admit that owning a 5D4. If I owned nothing at all, and I was given $8-10K in funds to build up something similar to what I own now, I would have a hard time staying away from the D850. It is the first Nikon that has caught my attention.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 13, 2017 08:29 |  #24

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18471769 (external link)
The problem with some here is that they are not answering the question that was laid forth. It wasn't "would you switch to Nikon for the D850 given your current investment in Canon", it is "Knowing what you know now, and having no equipment at all, which direction would you go". If people would objectively answer it, there would be alot less emotional responses, I feel.

The D850 meets or beats just about everything on the 5D4, even I will admit that owning a 5D4. If I owned nothing at all, and I was given $8-10K in funds to build up something similar to what I own now, I would have a hard time staying away from the D850. It is the first Nikon that has caught my attention.

Not picking on you in particular, TS. Your post just happens to highlight some thoughts here. We are comparing two top-flight cameras. Most people using a dSLR will never shoot either of these bodies. They are relatively expensive. I'm sure a significant number of SLR shooters don't start with the best camera in either line. I started with a 500D, and added over time. By the time I knew what I was doing with digital, I was financially committed to Canon. A soccer mom with a 60D, who really stretches her budget for 70-200 f/4, or 70-300L is most likely never going to shoot a 5D-anything, and not likely to change brands.

Very few (assumption) of us even need the gear we currently own. I could satisfactorily do everything I do with a camera with the 500D I bought in 2009. I guess my point is, at the level I shoot at, the fine points of what the top camera in either line can do is irrelevant. I assume that applies to way more people than it doesn't apply to. If the differences between 5D4 and the D850 actually matter to you (general, not you TS), you are in pretty rarified air to start with. And folks at that level will always pursue the best options for their individual goals.

At the 'bottom' level, brand doesn't matter, pick one and carry on. At the top level, always shoot the best you can get, even at the expense of switching brands. We are all on that spectrum somewhere. Nikon would have to produce a camera that dispenses IPA, free, to get me to change. Even at that, they'd have to give it to me. I can't afford to switch brands.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,064 posts
Gallery: 1514 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 13, 2017 08:32 |  #25

fotoworx wrote in post #18471415 (external link)
You've got no gear at all, it all just magically disappeared and what was left was a check.
Your chance to start over.

- Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850 and Canon or Nikon glass to suit for your style of shooting?

Ugh, touch choice. I'd want some of my Canon glass back, especially my long whites. There rest I could shoot either way and both have the same lighting support options.

I'd probably add a Canon back, strictly for long lens shooting. And instead of fleshing out that system, add Sony or Fuji instead for the shorter wider stuff purposes.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by DaviSto.

Oct 13, 2017 08:33 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18471769 (external link)

I answered the question exactly as asked and concluded that I would want to stay with Canon for the lenses.

That wasn't because Nikon don't make great glass. It was simply because I'm currently experimenting with tilt shift (TS-E) lenses. Nikon do make perspective control (PC-E) lenses at more-or-less the same focal lengths that I use but they are more limited in what they can do and are fully compatible with only a few Nikon bodies. I have no idea whether they would work well with the D850 (I suspect not). And Canon seems committed to extending and improving their TS-E glass, which does not seem to be the case for Nikon.

Almost everywhere else, where there is a Canon lens that I am particularly attached to, I can probably find a close enough Nikon match (a bit better in some cases ... not quite so good in others). In some instances (135mm, for example), it looks like I would have to fork out a lot of extra cash or settle for a third-party alternative (still forking out extra cash).

If the question had been, if Nikon produced a D850 with an EF mount and you can keep all your existing lenses, would you choose it or the 5Div? ... I'd almost certainly choose the D850 (subject only to whether it felt good in my hands ... which I'm pretty certain it would).

I try to stay brand agnostic but there are good reasons for me choosing Canon at the moment.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,554 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 13, 2017 08:37 |  #27

I like canon more than Nikon, but no gear, D850 EASILY. Waiting X amount of years for a Canon to come around, I'de literally turn old. I played the waiting game with Canon for a decade before leaving them. I'de probably wait a few more decades if I had high brand loyalty.

What sets Nikon apart is the 4K and rear screen. Those cannot be easily dismissed. It's one body to lug around rather than have mental exercises on what camera to bring around for what situation.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,891 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 13, 2017 08:39 |  #28

The d850..

As mentioned both sysrems have excellent lenses.. one might be out the other at one focal length in primes for example but the other one beats the other in the other focal length Etc...
But the d850 is spec'd lik3 a camera of today

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 13, 2017 09:22 |  #29

Charlie wrote in post #18471798 (external link)
What sets Nikon apart is the 4K and rear screen. Those cannot be easily dismissed. It's one body to lug around rather than have mental exercises on what camera to bring around for what situation.

I think the d850 sensor is what set's it apart. 1+ stop more base ISO DR, neck and neck in terms of high ISO performance despite having close to double the resolution.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 13, 2017 10:03 |  #30

If along with that check, my memory of Canon's ergonomics and menu system are somehow magically erased, I'd get the D850.

That said, I'm really happy with my current gear and have no envy to change, despite all the claims that the D850 is god's gift to photograpers. Like someone said earlier, the grass is always greener on the other side. My current gear gives me the ability to create great images/memories. :-)

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

sponsored links

24,653 views & 222 likes for this thread
You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.