Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Oct 2017 (Monday) 11:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first look at Canon's new 85 mm

ejenner
Goldmember
3,624 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by ejenner.

Oct 15, 2017 23:22 |  #46

I have the old Sigma as well and like it a lot. I pretty much shoot at f2 (because of the DOF I want) and sharpness seems good at that aperture, rendition/bokeh is great for what I've used it for, but it can show some CA. But also no IS which I would really like. I just got the Tamron 45 1.8VC and like it a lot so considering I don't really need 1.4 I think I'm going to go for the Tamron. VC + decent sharpness and good bokeh and although my old Sig AF is OK on the 5DIII, it is not stellar in the accuracy/consistency department. At least not as good as I would ideally like.

Also not a lens I use all that often, I would rather be saving/looking at a 135 f2 IS. If Tamron does a deal like they did recently on the 45 and 35 ($200 instant rebate) I'll probably jump on it.

I think the AF and IQ on both he Tamron and Sigma 85's is such that the Canon seems quite overpriced, even for a 1.4 with IS. But maybe it is actually really amazing IQ and the Bokeh examples are not representative of the lens. Either way I can easily live with f1.8 for 1/2 the price - or less.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links
Dlee13
Goldmember
3,093 posts
Gallery: 387 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 16, 2017 01:38 |  #47

mdvaden wrote in post #18473608 (external link)
There's certain locations and times where the 85mm 1.2 L's focusing doesn't seem to be the right tool in the drawer. But it's stellar when I choose to use it.

Here's a test shot from today. Another photographer in a nearby park. He moved after I focused. But I wanted to share this to show the bokeh of Tamron's 85mm 1.8 VC. This photo is completely as-is aside from cropping and resize to 1100 pixels wide. No change to color, brightness, etc..

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=184​73608&i=i171631692
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

The main thing that had always detoured me from getting the 85 1.2 was the price as here in Aus it is real expensive. The price of the 85 IS appears to be pretty high here too but if I can get a decent price for my Sigma I may be able to save a bit that way. Sometimes it's best to get the lenses in a period when they are least popular.

I know with me 35mm f/2 IS it dropped a few hundred from the launch price which is when I bought it, then I seen it get more popular and the price went back up so I'm glad I bought it when I did.

ejenner wrote in post #18473632 (external link)
I have the old Sigma as well and like it a lot. I pretty much shoot at f2 (because of the DOF I want) and sharpness seems good at that aperture, rendition/bokeh is great for what I've used it for, but it can show some CA. But also no IS which I would really like. I just got the Tamron 45 1.8VC and like it a lot so considering I don't really need 1.4 I think I'm going to go for the Tamron. VC + decent sharpness and good bokeh and although my old Sig AF is OK on the 5DIII, it is not stellar in the accuracy/consistency department. At least not as good as I would ideally like.

Also not a lens I use all that often, I would rather be saving/looking at a 135 f2 IS. If Tamron does a deal like they did recently on the 45 and 35 ($200 instant rebate) I'll probably jump on it.

I think the AF and IQ on both he Tamron and Sigma 85's is such that the Canon seems quite overpriced, even for a 1.4 with IS. But maybe it is actually really amazing IQ and the Bokeh examples are not representative of the lens. Either way I can easily live with f1.8 for 1/2 the price - or less.

If you're shooting at f/2 and already have the Tamron I wouldn't see a need to upgrade either if I was you.

I'm not sure exactly what it is that appeals to me about the 85 IS as the AF is already spot on when using my Sigma on the 6DII and sharpness is really impressive too. I think with the EX series of lenses, they were a lot sharper than they were credited for but due to their AF issues most people's copies never showed their true potential. I have a self enforced rule that I will never buy a Sigma lens online and will always test in store before buying.

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 ~ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

level5photog
171 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Oct 16, 2017 16:34 |  #48

The bokeh is very disappointing. My Sigma 85 1.4 Art/135 1.8 Art totally annihilate this. I shoot weddings and I rarely have the need to use slower shutter 1/50 for people especially when camera are capable of clean high ISO nowaday.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,637 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 16, 2017 16:54 |  #49

level5photog wrote in post #18474215 (external link)
The bokeh is very disappointing. My Sigma 85 1.4 Art/135 1.8 Art totally annihilate this. I shoot weddings and I rarely have the need to use slower shutter 1/50 for people especially when camera are capable of clean high ISO nowaday.

Exactly... I'm always at 1/125-1/160 with my 85 so I doubt I would ever swap.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 17, 2017 08:36 |  #50

found this video from Adorama about the new 85L

Lots of pics

so the images posted so far dont give in enough justice. Looks pretty decent from what I can see in this video. looks like Canon is going to push the IS as a selling point because No One else has it except tamron

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=AsdV99TR0ks (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 9 months ago by mdvaden.

Oct 17, 2017 08:49 |  #51

level5photog wrote in post #18474215 (external link)

I'm familiar with the new Sigma. it's good enough to take a market share and it's an excellent lens. But it's not exceptional enough to annihilate anything anything yet. It's basically good enough to be what a good lens should be.

What umphotography recently posted is along the lines of what I suspected, that a few samples we've seen of the upcoming Canon 50mm 1.4 IS don't clarify it's nature yet.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 9 months ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Oct 17, 2017 08:58 |  #52

mdvaden wrote in post #18474665 (external link)
I'm familiar with the new Sigma. it's good enough to take a market share and it's an excellent lens. But it's not exceptional enough to annihilate anything anything yet. It's basically good enough to be what a good lens should be.

You really just don't get the hang of how to play SoSiCaNikon Top Trumps at all, do you??? ;-)a

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 9 months ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Oct 17, 2017 09:00 |  #53

DaviSto wrote in post #18474671 (external link)
You really just don't get the hang of how to play SoSiCaNikon [I][B]Top Trumps[\i][\b] at all, do you???

That makes little sense, but its apparent you don't have the "hang" of using the forum writing tools yet ... lol ... now back on topic >>>

umphotography wrote in post #18474659 (external link)
found this video from Adorama about the new 85L

Lots of pics

so the images posted so far dont give in enough justice. Looks pretty decent from what I can see in this video. looks like Canon is going to push the IS as a selling point because No One else has it except tamron

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=AsdV99TR0ks (external link)

The Canon Asia youtube has some decent examples too.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=ETpjcfzbh08 (external link)

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Oct 17, 2017 09:16 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #54

Oh well ... maybe you enjoy Top Trumps after all ... I thought we were on the same page tbh .

I was referring to the whole attitude that 'my' lens/camera must annihilate or destroy whatever someone on the the great interwebs has decided is going to be the current whipping boy.

Applying playground terminology and thinking ('Top Trumps') to the review and comparison of camera equipment is just not very helpful. Posters who aren't able to see beyond the kit they are already invested in themselves and endlessly need to sing its praises and deride all alternatives add nothing of value to the discussion ... and there are a lot of them, unfortunately.

David.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 17, 2017 09:38 |  #55

DaviSto wrote in post #18474677 (external link)
Oh well ... maybe you enjoy Top Trumps after all ... I thought we were on the same page tbh .

I was referring to the whole attitude that 'my' lens/camera must annihilate or destroy whatever someone on the the great interwebs has decided is going to be the current whipping boy.

Applying playground terminology and thinking ('Top Trumps') to the review and comparison of camera equipment is just not very helpful. Posters who aren't able to see beyond the kit they are already invested in themselves and endlessly need to sing its praises and deride all alternatives add nothing of value to the discussion ... and there are a lot of them, unfortunately.

Oh .. well that makes sense explained that way.

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Oct 17, 2017 09:51 |  #56

mdvaden wrote in post #18474685 (external link)
Oh .. well that makes sense explained that way.

Glad we have cleared that up! :-)

A gallery of decent still images taken by a good photographer using the 85L f/1.4 IS would be nice. I haven't seen anything of that sort yet ... just YouTube compilations. I hope it turns out to be a good addition to the line-up ... although I won't be an early adopter, I think.

David.

level5photog
171 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Oct 17, 2017 13:03 |  #57

Talley wrote in post #18474230 (external link)
Exactly... I'm always at 1/125-1/160 with my 85 so I doubt I would ever swap.

I shoot 1/160 min when using 85/135 Art. 1/50 is ONLY when I use my 24-70 and I'm at already ISO 3200-4000 AND I can't use off camera flash. Those IF scenarios are very rare.

IBIS + IS where I can handhold 1 seconds for landscape shots @ 15mm would intrigue me more.

level5photog
171 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Oct 17, 2017 13:06 |  #58

mdvaden wrote in post #18474674 (external link)
That makes little sense, but its apparent you don't have the "hang" of using the forum writing tools yet ... lol ... now back on topic >>>

The Canon Asia youtube has some decent examples too.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=ETpjcfzbh08 (external link)

These are better examples but nothing that WoW me.

artsf
318 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2015

Oct 17, 2017 15:13 |  #59

level5photog wrote in post #18474811 (external link)
These are better examples but nothing that WoW me.

I guess that’s why Canon is not calling it a replacement of 85 1.2. I don’t care about IS for photos in this FL but it is immensely useful for video. Canon’s newer IS system is superb for video, e.g. 35 f2 IS, 70-300 ii. Although with 1.74x on 5div, 85mm is a little too long for my taste but doable. It’s not like we’ll have 50mm 1.4 IS anytime soon.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,637 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 17, 2017 19:48 |  #60

best case scenario is a 85 1.2 III where it's CA free and added sharpness. That would be a good replacement and ensure the 1.2 in it's lineup.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

sponsored links

72,588 views & 100 likes for this thread
My first look at Canon's new 85 mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.