Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 11:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Two new versions of LR released

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
811 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Oct 18, 2017 11:03 |  #1

Adobe announced two new versions of LR, "Classic" and "New" versions of Creative Cloud. The Classic is just an update of the current LR CC with some added features like luminescence and color masking (external link). Thenew LR CC (external link) looks like a complete redesign with a focus on cloud functionality. You can sync your RAW images to the cloud and start an edit on your desktop computer and pick up the editing on a laptop or mobile device.

Current subscribers to the Photography Plan (LR +PS for $9.99/mo) get both the New and Classic versions with 20GB of online storage. You can upgrade that to 1TB for another $10/month. Or you can just subscribe to the New version for $10/mo.

There are a number of videos here showing off the features:

https://www.youtube.co​m/user/AdobeLightroom/​videos (external link)

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

sponsored links
melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 18, 2017 23:52 |  #2

Just a warning: there are multiple online reports that the program now known as "Lightroom" (without the "Classic") *requires* you to sync all your raws to Adobe's servers, and by default DELETES THE LOCAL FILES.

If you currently use Lightroom, the one you want is "Lightroom Classic". As I understand it, if you currently have Lr installed (I don't, and won't) this will be an "update".

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 18, 2017 23:57 |  #3

One more reason to dump Adobe.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,176 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Oct 19, 2017 01:20 |  #4

Bassat wrote in post #18475764 (external link)
One more reason to dump Adobe.

Huh? They just took Lightroom (now renamed LR Classic - with all your files stored on your computer) and made it faster and more responsive in several important ways, plus added new Luminosity and Colour masking controls and a new Process engine (v4) and that is a good reason to dump Adobe?

In addition they have introduced a new app that, confusingly, uses the old name Lightroom CC. It is basically the iPhone/Tablet version of Lightroom but now available for your desktop machine. It is focused on people who want to be able to process images on their desktop and tablet/phone. It uses/requires RAW files to be stored in the cloud because who has a tablet that can store all their RAW files?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Mathmans
272 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 19, 2017 01:26 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #5

It looks like Adobe killed standalone version of Lightroom:
https://www.dpreview.c​om …ath-by-subscription-model (external link)

I must give them a credit. Adobe was very clever and now they own you. Or at least they own the majority of you.
They can do whatever they want. And what can you do?
They know most of you are deep it this catalog s**t and used to Lightroom sliders. They also know most of you have no will to learn new things (new software, new menus, new button layout, etc). So now they own you and I like it, hehe. Go Adobe, go. That's the spirit.
Now; who of you don't like what Adobe is doing?

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 19, 2017 02:01 |  #6

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18475800 (external link)
Huh? They just took Lightroom (now renamed LR Classic - with all your files stored on your computer) and made it faster and more responsive in several important ways, plus added new Luminosity and Colour masking controls and a new Process engine (v4) and that is a good reason to dump Adobe?

In addition they have introduced a new app that, confusingly, uses the old name Lightroom CC. It is basically the iPhone/Tablet version of Lightroom but now available for your desktop machine. It is focused on people who want to be able to process images on their desktop and tablet/phone. It uses/requires RAW files to be stored in the cloud because who has a tablet that can store all their RAW files?

Dumped. Don't own a tablet. Can't afford cloud anything.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,176 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Oct 19, 2017 03:03 |  #7

Bassat wrote in post #18475814 (external link)
Dumped. Don't own a tablet. Can't afford cloud anything.

None of which explains why updating their app to make it better is a reason to dump it.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 19, 2017 03:33 |  #8

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18475832 (external link)
None of which explains why updating their app to make it better is a reason to dump it.

Update is cloud only. I can't do that. Seems straightforward to me. No use for a CC app.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 19, 2017 04:21 |  #9

Mathmans wrote in post #18475803 (external link)
... and now they own you.

(for want of a better word) ;-)a

jc1350
157 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 19, 2017 06:22 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18475844 (external link)
Update is cloud only. I can't do that. Seems straightforward to me. No use for a CC app.

I'm lost. Adobe released TWO versions of Lightroom. The cloud based version (which has a check box to keep local files) and an update to the Lightroom that's been around for 10+ years. It's not "cloud only."

--
John

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,972 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2017 06:30 |  #11

And if you didnt know this was coming....
Cloud is great, but it is NOT the end all be all...I have satellite Internet at home (with no other options). so transferring and working on raws from the cloud is a complete no starter. The transfers would hit my data cap long before the month runs out. When I had FIOS, yeah, it would be a no brainer...but now...uhhh no. So I guess I will use LR until I find something better, which honestly, probably wont take long. Competitors will jump on this...and what comes out could be very interesting..

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 19, 2017 08:11 |  #12

jc1350 wrote in post #18475874 (external link)
I'm lost. Adobe released TWO versions of Lightroom. The cloud based version (which has a check box to keep local files) and an update to the Lightroom that's been around for 10+ years. It's not "cloud only."

I think I must be the confused one. Perhaps it is in another thread the Adobe will NOT update LR6 after the Nikon 850, and will no longer support it. Both new versions are variations on the CC theme. Or so I thought (or didn't :) ).

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 19, 2017 08:12 |  #13

digirebelva wrote in post #18475876 (external link)
And if you didnt know this was coming....
Cloud is great, but it is NOT the end all be all...I have satellite Internet at home (with no other options). so transferring and working on raws from the cloud is a complete no starter. The transfers would hit my data cap long before the month runs out. When I had FIOS, yeah, it would be a no brainer...but now...uhhh no. So I guess I will use LR until I find something better, which honestly, probably wont take long. Competitors will jump on this...and what comes out could be very interesting..

That is my gripe: Satellite internet. Slow and capped.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,964 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2017 10:08 |  #14

Bassat wrote in post #18475926 (external link)
I think I must be the confused one. Perhaps it is in another thread the Adobe will NOT update LR6 after the Nikon 850, and will no longer support it. Both new versions are variations on the CC theme. Or so I thought (or didn't :) ).

Tom the new Lr "Classic" formerly known as CC although called Creative Cloud consisted of a suite of fully downloaded and installed applications, that worked exclusively on local files. The only cloud part about it was the fact that it was being retailed as a service, and you had to pay monthly for it. Because of the monthly payments thing it also required to check back with the licensing server at periodic intervals, which could be as much as every 90 days, depending on what payment plan you were on. That was the only operational difference between CC and the perpetually licensed Lr 6.x.

If you have been using Lr CC and chose not to continue with it, you do not lose all access to the program. You can still access all of the Library functions, including adding new images to it, although you can't access the Develop or Map modules. You can actually make some edits to images, since you still have access to the Quick Develop tools in the Library. This allows you to apply a single preset to the image, so if you set up a suite of common settings that you use you can actually do quite a lot of things with the image. Probably most anything a casual photographer might need, assuming they got the exposure etc right in camera. You can still do pretty much all of the export options too. The other thing is it seems that you can even do the updates to the new versions of the program, and the new trial period could allow you to create new presets taking advantage of any new global tools.

So even if you decide to go to a new program, you don't have to worry about losing or having to migrate all of your images to the system, since you will still have access to them in Lr.

The "new" Lr CC is what you would call a true cloud based system, although still running the code locally on your desktop as far as I can see. For anyone regularly shooting more than a couple of dozen images at a time in a RAW format the CC option looks a little difficult, since you will be moving a lot of data in both directions. You will also need a very good connection to make it really work. My image folders contain about 1 TB of master files, and on my current connection, which is the fastest available in my location I get about 1 MB/s in upload speed, so that is about 10^9 seconds worth of upload time, running constantly. 10^9 seconds is 31 years and change:rolleyes:.

New CC is probably great for a new photographer, without a large existing library, who is shooting on a phone or similar device that supports RAW capture, it will allow them to get the best quality from the device. Since they are unlikely to be trying to upload large batches of images in one go they are much less likely to run into data limits, and they will be able to share and publish high quality images from the device itself. I can understand Adobe's move in this direction, it is aimed at a completely different market that pro or serious amature photographers. I would like to see Adobe improve the syncing options between the mobile/CC option and Lr Classic, using smart previews against the full on RAW file for example, since a 2500Px long edge preview is quite adequate on many smaller devices, I don't need full RAW resolution on my phone, even if it is a Samsung Note 4.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sjnovakovich
186 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 19, 2017 10:26 |  #15

There are a ton of comments regarding this over on PP -- none of them good. I think Adobe just shot LR in the foot. No way am I sending more than a TB of data to Adobe's cloud server.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

19,597 views & 39 likes for this thread
Two new versions of LR released
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.