Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 19:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who will stick with the new Lr products or move on?

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 20, 2017 08:08 |  #16

I'll stay with LR6 for another 18-24+ months, then I hope to be winding down most of my photography work. I will never go to the subscription service as I want something I can fall back on when my money run short. BTW: I have limited to zero bandwidth

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,896 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 20, 2017 08:12 |  #17

Archibald wrote in post #18476437 (external link)
Any experience transitioning from LR to Capture One? ... or other program like Affinity? Are any changes needed to the folders containing the raw files? Can any metadata be transferred? I guess all LR edits will be lost... so does one keep the current LR alongside the new program, with the new prog getting just new raw files?

I went to C1, and the learning curve was extremely tough, however workflow has improved a lot for most things. Editing is just blazing fast, as well as checking focus, just blew away LR, even the latest LR looks to be no match even with all the speed improvements.

I made the change due to "Sony colors", and for the most part, SOOC is easier to work with.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Phoenixkh.

Oct 20, 2017 08:12 |  #18

I use both Photoshop and Lightroom. I purchased both individually before CC was released, several times over. I'm one of those content cows being led to the slaughter, I'm sure because I've been quite happy with the combination and with CC, I get updates regularly.

I can understand why a Lightroom only user would be ummmmm "upset", but since I use both, I don't think this is a big deal. I won't be using the cloud feature at the moment because I really don't have a need for photos on the cloud. I don't move my Canon gear photos to my phone because I'm not a Face Book or other social media person. I use my iPhone for restaurant food photos and other non critical stuff.

Edit: As far as product development/upgrades, I'm sure Adobe knows it has competitors and if it lets its own products slide, customers will leave. I, myself, will no longer convert my files to .dng to give myself the flexibility to move to another platform should the need arise. I didn't even think to give myself this option until we had a discussion about it here on POTN a few days ago.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Scott M.

Oct 20, 2017 08:53 |  #19

Bassat wrote in post #18476668 (external link)
Almost. The cows don't have much choice in the matter. I can go back to DPP in a second; I keep both versions updated, just in case. I can even consider other options, though I couldn't even name one right now.

I used DPP several years ago before moving to Lightroom, and just downloaded the latest version to give it a try again. The price is certainly attractive. ;-)a

I am annoyed that DPP will not let me install the program in a different location, though. I have an internal SSD for all my program files, but there doesn't appear to be an option for telling DPP where to install itself.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,561 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 20, 2017 13:33 |  #20

Charlie wrote in post #18476691 (external link)
I went to C1, and the learning curve was extremely tough, however workflow has improved a lot for most things. Editing is just blazing fast, as well as checking focus, just blew away LR, even the latest LR looks to be no match even with all the speed improvements.

I made the change due to "Sony colors", and for the most part, SOOC is easier to work with.

I checked out the free trial. It does look like a lot to learn but within a few hours I had some key stuff I needed worked out. The thing about Capture is it applies settings based on the camera. NR was excellent without my intervention. I was able to match it using LR but had to work it. Sharpening is also applied the same way. Sharpening has 3 levels and export offers media type but unlike LR which has 3 settings you can adjust with sliders to taste. Colours looked very good.

Actually you have to do very little at the start to get a good looking image so you don't need to feel overwhelmed. Of course as you go you can apply personal adjustments and apply those as defaults.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Charlie
15,896 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Charlie.

Oct 20, 2017 14:57 |  #21

digital paradise wrote in post #18476955 (external link)
I checked out the free trial. It does look like a lot to learn but within a few hours I had some key stuff I needed worked out. The thing about Capture is it applies settings based on the camera. NR was excellent without my intervention. I was able to match it using LR but had to work it. Sharpening is also applied the same way. Sharpening has 3 levels and export offers media type but unlike LR which has 3 settings you can adjust with sliders to taste. Colours looked very good.

Actually you have to do very little at the start to get a good looking image so you don't need to feel overwhelmed. Of course as you go you can apply personal adjustments and apply those as defaults.

some pros and cons

pros

1. Magnify tool, use it to check focus rather than 100% views, so much faster.

2. Magnify right into the library thumbs..... brilliant

3. Scroll to magnify

4. Scroll to magnify, then use straightening tools.... brilliant

5. For skin tones, use the skin tones color picker, couldnt be easier

6. SOOC is very good with any camera

7. Masks.... just seem much more organized since you can name them and have different types.

8. Recipes... confusing at first, but very nice for importing. I have recipes for POTN, random stuff, FB posts, and for my main backup/host drive. Select all that apply and queue the export, so nice.

9. Clarity and structure are separate, halo effect much less likely this way.

cons

1. Round trip to photoshop is Edit with, not open with..... confusing

2. HDR? good luck, no go. round trip to photoshop, wont even stack. I'm sure there's a way to autostack, havent been a big concern, just do it manually for the times needed. Same issue with panoramas.

3. Delete button, where is my image? All chaos can break loose with the delete key. For example, if you're working with masks, you create a mask, but dont name it, then try to hit delete.... presto, your image is gone, you deleted the image rather than the mask.......

4. Catalog vs sessions.... to get your setup looking like lightroom catalog, you have to tinker the file and folder name on the import tool.

5. Flickr integration.... does it exist? I dont know and dont use it.

6. Got a new lens? well, it'll be a while before you get that profile

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Oct 20, 2017 16:47 |  #22

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18476574 (external link)

Capture one is a very good alternative, probably better, but you might find the price not as attractive if you plan on upgrading every few years at $299 ....

Upgrades are $99, and not usually annual, so less than $100 a year after the initial outlay.
I agree $300 feels steep, but thereafter it's a pretty darn good deal.

Also they let you skip upgrades, so you could go 3 years without shelling another $99.00

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 20, 2017 16:49 |  #23

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18477096 (external link)
Upgreds are $99, and not usually annual, so less than $100 a year after the inital outlay. I agree $300 is steep, but thereafter it's a pretty darn good deal.

Also they let you skip upgrades, so you could go 3 years without shelling another $99.00

And they upgrade yearly Jake?

Do you remember when 10 came out? Leaning to C1 now.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 20, 2017 16:52 |  #24

Charlie wrote in post #18476691 (external link)
I went to C1, and the learning curve was extremely tough,

a little harder for LR users, but tough even for a RAW converter migrant like me that has been using C1 off and on since before LR was a twinkle in Adobes eye!

however workflow has improved a lot for most things. Editing is just blazing fast, as well as checking focus, just blew away LR, even the latest LR looks to be no match even with all the speed improvements.

Ain't it amazing? And the results are better too :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Oct 20, 2017 16:59 |  #25

Scoobert wrote in post #18477097 (external link)
And they upgrade yearly Jake?

Do you remember when 10 came out? Leaning to C1 now.

Paid upgrades are not as often as yearly, in some cases it's been over two, with free upgrades in between to maintain camera support and add new features free.

History is here; (though it is missing dates for the early years. eg: in 2003 Capture One Pro, DB and LE were all available at different price points. LE was $99.00 if I recall correctly. All the editing, no tethering and less asset management)

https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Capture_One (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,242 posts
Gallery: 337 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 20, 2017 17:10 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #26

Yea, thanks Jake, I probably didn't write that clearly enough.

I know for me C1+Media Pro [to cover what lightroom does] cost €584 including tax. Lightroom costs me €156 a year including Photoshop.
That is 3 3/4 years before I reach the spend of C1. Upgrade will cost me €170 inc tax. So my my maths I'm five years into C1 before I see any savings. Also I rang Adobe earlier this year and had a grump at them until they gave me four months free :) When I consider that I use Ps in my editing and for a few other things I'll need to buy it anyway, the photography bundle looks good value that way, for me. I do like C1 a lot though I need to spend a lot more time with it.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Get 5% off Fuji from Kim ;) (external link)
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,337 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 20, 2017 17:40 |  #27

I have the LR6 disc I purchased when I heard ADOBE was going to "the cloud". I'll keep using it until it does not support my system at which point I will go with the subscription.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Charlie
15,896 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 20, 2017 18:05 |  #28

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18477113 (external link)
Yea, thanks Jake, I probably didn't write that clearly enough.

I know for me C1+Media Pro [to cover what lightroom does] cost €584 including tax. Lightroom costs me €156 a year including Photoshop.
That is 3 3/4 years before I reach the spend of C1. Upgrade will cost me €170 inc tax. So my my maths I'm five years into C1 before I see any savings. Also I rang Adobe earlier this year and had a grump at them until they gave me four months free :) When I consider that I use Ps in my editing and for a few other things I'll need to buy it anyway, the photography bundle looks good value that way, for me. I do like C1 a lot though I need to spend a lot more time with it.

why do you need media pro?

C1 seems to be sufficient with the catalog.

Lyn2011
572 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 20, 2017 20:02 |  #29

I was at the point to buy Lightroom, till now I've used DPP. I don't like the subscription, because I'm tied up to them for ever. I've changed my mind, don't buy Lightroom, because in a few years it won't work anymore, after updates from Windows or anything else.
If a lot of people hadn't gone for the subscription, Adobe wouldn't stop with the one time only versions.

sponsored links

5,969 views & 10 likes for this thread
Who will stick with the new Lr products or move on?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.