Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 09 Oct 2017 (Monday) 02:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

Minigill
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Oct 20, 2017 12:24 |  #16

I have the GK2545T-82QD. I love this tripod. Tried it several times in the shop plus other models before finally deciding to buy it.

I find it very sturdy, have used it with Canon 7D2 + 100-400ii, although I wouldn't use this lens on the series 2 as the norm, but for a few pics, it had no problem.

My standard kit is X-T2 up to 50-140. The 2545 copes without issues at all. Quality is fab and very strong. The legs are a good diameter and not pencil thin. I use it without raising the centre column. Very light and easy to hang off the shoulder with the strap.

I also have the GT3542LS (got this to use with Canon rig/big lens mainly) but sold the camera combination, and bought the traveller ! I prefer the twist locks on the 2545, but that is just personal preference. Both locks works seamlessly on the two models.

I will probably move the latter tripod on as I always grab the traveller for my needs and I don't need two !! :)

sponsored links
Robertk2012
128 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 21, 2017 03:37 |  #17

Gitzo customer service is very poor....Regretting my recent purchase

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 21, 2017 21:32 as a reply to  @ Robertk2012's post |  #18

Where do you live and what service did you need?

Here in the UK all parts for current and much older models are easily available should you need them.

I must state that I have never needed to ask Gitzo or anything (I have only been using their products for 11 years) so I don't know what their service is like! But if I do need parts then they are available here:

https://www.gitzospare​s.com …3-swhgEAAYAiAAEgJDZfD_Bw​E (external link)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

HodjPodj
55 posts
Joined Sep 2017

Oct 21, 2017 21:51 |  #19

I'm in love with my gt1532. It's tall, cheap when used, and has pretty much all of the same options as the newer models

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6D, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,843 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 21, 2017 21:55 as a reply to  @ Robertk2012's post |  #20

[edit; NOT!] As I recall Gitzo was represented in the US by Manfrotto Distributing, and Manfrotto Distributing has recently been purchased (my memory could be defective about this) That might account for why customer support is flaky right now, during the transition.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Robertk2012
128 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 22, 2017 00:50 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #21

Very well...I had to resort to contacting their Instagram...who relayed my message to support...direct messages to support were always ignored after the first message.

Wilt
41,843 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 22, 2017 01:23 |  #22

Starting to doubt my own sanity, as I cannot find anything about mergers/acquisitions of any company that has distributorship of Manfrotto products in N.Am. via web search.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,013 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 22, 2017 04:20 |  #23

Wilt wrote in post #18478062 (external link)
Starting to doubt my own sanity, as I cannot find anything about mergers/acquisitions of any company that has distributorship of Manfrotto products in N.Am. via web search.

Thinking of this? JOBY and Lowepro were recently acquired by Vitec Group, Owner of Manfrotto

Dave
Image editing OK

Wilt
41,843 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 22, 2017 09:42 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #24

I did find an annoucement about Joby and Lowepro, and I do recall reading about Vitec...that must be what I read!
Brain does funny things. So any readers of this thread need to ignore the false rumor I may have started by post 20!

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 22, 2017 11:29 |  #25

Robertk2012 wrote in post #18477379 (external link)
Gitzo customer service is very poor....Regretting my recent purchase

johnf3f wrote in post #18477974 (external link)
Where do you live and what service did you need?

Almost certainly here in the US.

Wilt wrote in post #18477992 (external link)
That might account for why customer support is flaky right now, during the transition.

Customer support has been "flaky" for years, or at least part of it has. Its important to understand that there are two distinct entities in the Manfrotto service chain. First there's Manfrotto Distribution in NJ, they're responsible for sourcing and supplying Gitzo parts in the US. Second is CRIS (Camera Repair Instrument Service) in AZ who take care of the repair/parts replacement of Gitzo tripods and ballheads.

My experience with CRIS has been very good, and with Manfrotto Distribution not so good. CRIS is at the mercy of Manfrotto if they don't have a part required to complete a repair. CRIS get unfairly blamed for interminable wait times when its actually Manfrotto's fault. As well as Manfrotto, CRIS also repairs Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, Ricoh, Rollei and Sigma equipment. All they do is just service and fix equipment, they're technicians and they depend on distributors for parts.

I've spoken with Manfrotto reps at the Photo+ Expo in NYC more than once. "We know about it and we're fixing it" is the response. They have not fixed it after so many years and its a problem. This is a US issue, I know that service in general is much better in the UK and EU. A couple of months ago I sold my last remaining Gitzo tripod and probably will never buy another. Maybe a 1348 Mk2. ;)

~Peter

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 23, 2017 18:59 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #26

If it is the US then I have heard that Gitzo service is not great - I don't know but that is what I read.

Here in the UK I have yet to need any backup for my Gitzo products (and I don't expect to!) however spares are freely available and (when I used Manfrotto) they were quickly and efficiently delivered.

https://www.gitzospare​s.com/ (external link)

I believe they ship globally.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 24, 2017 12:12 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #27

Yes John, I've ordered from Gitzo Spares and many others in the US have too. They're a life-saver no question! :-)

~Peter

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 24, 2017 22:07 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #28

That is good to know for US Gitzo users. I wasn't sure if they delivered a decent service in the US.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,921 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 27, 2017 11:27 |  #29

Wilt wrote in post #18469016 (external link)
  • As for max height, it must be remembered that the best photgraphic position may well be NOT at your usual eye level!
  • This is a very important point. . In fact, I would say that if one is routinely shooting from a standing up straight position, then he/she is doing something wrong, and missing out on better compositional choices.

Even when standing up to shoot, a much taller tripod is often necessary when shooting on steep hillsides. . There are times when the terrain has been so steep and uneven that I could have used a 9' tall tripod just to get the camera at a height of 5 and a half feet. . Rocky terrain is especially demanding of tripod height, as the rocky surfaces are so uneven, especially on talus slopes.

I spent $900 on my Gitzo tripod when I bought it back in 2009, and at the time of purchase I thought it was plenty good enough. . However, for years now I have realized that its size and sturdiness leave much to be desired. . Every time I shoot with someone who has a taller, heavier Gitzo, I think, "Darn, that's what I should have bought."

So my advice, based on all of my own experiences, would be to buy the tallest, sturdiest Gitzo that you can possibly find, regardless of price. . When I get a small windfall of unexpected cash, I'm going to get the one that is 9 feet tall, because yes, I really do need all of that height for the way I shoot.

This is what I wish I would have bought:
    https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …atic_tripod_ser​_5_6s.html (external link)

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
    "They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
    "Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
    41,843 posts
    Joined Aug 2005
    Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Oct 27, 2017 11:32 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #30

Ooof! almost 8 lbs of tripod to lug around, and yet you still have to also add the weight of a head! My old Bogen 3221 with Linhof head was just under 8 lbs, and I was overjoyed when changing to my Gitzo 2530.

I have a really tall tripod, but it seldom goes outside with me at 9.5 lbs. without head.

sponsored links

4,832 views & 9 likes for this thread
    Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy
    FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Register to forums
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.