Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Oct 2017 (Friday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So if we are done with LR, whats our choices?

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 20, 2017 20:00 |  #16

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18476853 (external link)
I'm all Capture One now, after many years of migrating back and forth through many other options.

ACDSee Ultimate is now a fully fledged RAW developer as well, but there are better RAW tools. It is an EXCELLENT "D.A.M." (digital asset manager)

I used to recommend (and use!) Bibble/Corel Aftershot, but the more Corel does to what was a wonderful tool that they bought, the more they seem to break it :( It won't even run on my current workstation without crashing every 5 minutes or so.

C1 has some oddities in the batch processing gui that I still find a little less than intuitive, but the other day I wanted to make 1/2 sized jpegs from a huge pile of raw files, and only do minor tweeks to a small percentage along the way, crops etc,. and the process was easier and much faster than with any other tool I have used. So once you get a handle on the output, it is FAST and fluid to use.

How is C1 as a digital asset manager these days? I used C1 for years but didn't like version 7 I think and would definitely like to give it another go.

If it could fully replace LR, the only downside is recreating my library. That and I still imagine I'll want Photoshop so I'd probably wind up on the hook for both.

I'd use C1 again without its library features if I could but I vaguely recall them being obtrusive in version 7.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

sponsored links
Daggah
111 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 20, 2017 23:14 |  #17

Colorblinded wrote in post #18477199 (external link)
How is C1 as a digital asset manager these days? I used C1 for years but didn't like version 7 I think and would definitely like to give it another go.

If it could fully replace LR, the only downside is recreating my library. That and I still imagine I'll want Photoshop so I'd probably wind up on the hook for both.

I'd use C1 again without its library features if I could but I vaguely recall them being obtrusive in version 7.

If you're willing to spend an hour watching a detailed webinar, Capture One's youtube channel has a detailed look at their sessions and catalogs. Sessions seem really powerful to me. (Caveat: not - yet - a C1Pro user)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=k6sm9bQQXf0 (external link)

Nikon D850/FE and Fuji X-T2
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Eiro
Goldmember
1,355 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 21, 2017 00:22 |  #18

But LR CC is only $9 a month.
That's only around $120 per year for good software.

If it helps you get to the end of the race why not pay a small fee for it ?

You use your cellphone to communicate and pay monthly fee for spectrum use. It's the same thing.

Get out and shoot

Daggah
111 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 21, 2017 00:52 |  #19

Eiro wrote in post #18477320 (external link)

You use your cellphone to communicate and pay monthly fee for spectrum use. It's the same thing.

This discussion is about what to switch to, not why to switch. That argument's been rehashed over the internet a million times the last few days.

Nikon D850/FE and Fuji X-T2
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Oldschool1948
587 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 21, 2017 09:22 as a reply to  @ post 18476866 |  #20

As a hobbyist, I abandoned LR5 for Adobe CC. I rarely used Photoshop as most things I need I can do in ON1, albeit Photoshop is by far a better tool. I mostly use LR for RAW editing and ON1 for layers and effects. Today, I cancelled my Adobe CC subscription and upgraded LR5 to LR6. I will stick to LR6 and ON1.

I think ON1 is committed to their user base, has a fine but not perfect product, and is constantly trying to improve it. That all works for me.

5DIII Gripped
AD360 | Canon 600EX-RT (x2) | 580EXII | L358
70-200 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 50 f1.8 mk I | Tamron 150-600 G2
Canon Pro-10 Printer | Adobe LR6 | OnOne Raw

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,280 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 21, 2017 09:42 |  #21

Subscribed

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 21, 2017 10:28 as a reply to  @ Sibil's post |  #22

Plan A: Macphun products Luminar and Aurora with the DAM that is to be introduced in early 2018.
Plan B: On1 Photo RAW, especially if they bother to put a an import feature in the Browser module.

Gas ­ Hog
I like a good quack in the morning.
711 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 21, 2017 17:51 |  #23

I went with On1 last Dec so I could have a software with the newest cameras. I have cs6 and swore a bood oath to never go CC. But none of the versions got the cameras and or lenses I tried to use so :rolleyes: So I have never used it. I see a lot of people talking Capture one now, I might give that one a go
Gary

Feel free to not "Like" any of my photos. Until the Like button is corrected..I wont be "liking" Yours!
gear list

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by rdalrt.

Oct 21, 2017 17:58 |  #24

I will be moving to Capture One when Adobe kills Lightroom classic (if not sooner).

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

filmuser
204 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Oct 21, 2017 18:13 |  #25

I like on one raw.

Nick5
Goldmember
3,109 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 22, 2017 09:41 |  #26

You're killing me Eiro.......you're killing me.........

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Lumens
447 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 22, 2017 19:09 |  #27

I learned something new for Mac users today. The "Preview" application can convert RAW photos to Tiff. So open a folder in "Preview", export to Tiff, and develop in whatever application you see fit (Do I hear the word FREEDOM?). For those with LR6 permanent licenses no problem when a new camera/sensor comes out. The O/S will likely update fairly soon for free and you'll still be able to use LR6.

I suspect there is a similar competing application in Win10, but won't know until I check at work tomorrow. I truly dislike Win10 so don't have a copy in the house.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

Lumens
447 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 22, 2017 19:14 |  #28

rdalrt wrote in post #18477842 (external link)
I will be moving to Capture One when Adobe kills Lightroom classic (if not sooner).

Yep, I'm taking a good hard look at Luminar. Good products both. I suspect classic will be around for a long time, but I don't want to get dependent on a catalog.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,004 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2017 11:10 |  #29

If you buy a storage shed and put it on your property, should you have to pay a monthly fee to use it? If you rent a storage unit on someone else's property, then yes you pay a periodic fee. That is the difference...

People want to buy once and own a copy of software and run it on their own system/computing power, and not have to go to the cloud all the time time for licensing checks, and other pseudo-real-time stuff that might be in the cloud, thus they don't want a monthly fee model.

If everyone allows these to go through, within a small number of years, we won't own anything, and all of our income will be going to all these monthly,quarterly and annual fees. One has to take a stand somewhere, and if Adobe is hurt enough, they will most likely offer a different option, more expensive than LR6, but less than a ongoing fee.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,304 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 23, 2017 11:33 |  #30

Because there are other options equal to or better than LR for much less $$. DPP4 as a raw converter has really improved over the last couple versions and at times does a much better job with the conversion than some others, and the cost is nothing. ON1 is also a outstanding produce and right now DxO is giving away free OpticsPro11 for free.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

81,880 views & 130 likes for this thread
So if we are done with LR, whats our choices?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.