Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Oct 2017 (Friday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So if we are done with LR, whats our choices?

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 23, 2017 12:15 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Switched over to CaptureOne Pro when Ar$obe came out with their Cheat Cloud shenanigans. Have never looked back.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 23, 2017 12:31 |  #32

Capture One is perpetually $180 a year if you want all the upgrades, otherwise you pay $300 one time, and at some point, the upgrades stop.

Seems more expensive yet???

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Oct 23, 2017 13:41 |  #33

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18479041 (external link)
People want to buy once and own a copy of software and run it on their own system/computing power, and not have to go to the cloud all the time time for licensing checks, and other pseudo-real-time stuff that might be in the cloud......

Also, many of us spend huge amounts of time in places that have no internet service, no cell service, etc. . I am talking about very remote areas with no kind of signals of any kind. . What are we supposed to do if the stuff we need is "in the cloud" and we are in an area - for weeks at a time - with no way to access the cloud?

The whole way Adobe does things seems to assume that we are usually "connected".....and this is simply not true at all.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,068 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 23, 2017 13:54 |  #34

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18479106 (external link)
Capture One is perpetually $180 a year if you want all the upgrades, otherwise you pay $300 one time, and at some point, the upgrades stop.

It does seem very expensive.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,304 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 23, 2017 14:02 |  #35

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18479106 (external link)

They do have sales from time to time. I've seen a 20% off and 40% and picked up a copy a couple years back at 50% off. Still have it and use it so my cost is approaching $38 a year.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,730 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 23, 2017 14:22 |  #36

It may be expensive but I'd be willing to pay a lot more for a stand alone version of LR7. It is more principle to me.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 23, 2017 14:33 |  #37

I don't remember what I paid for Capture one pro 8... but the upgrade to 10 was only $99.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scott M. (2 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2017 14:36 |  #38

Eiro wrote in post #18477320 (external link)
But LR CC is only $9 a month.
That's only around $120 per year for good software.

If it helps you get to the end of the race why not pay a small fee for it ?

You use your cellphone to communicate and pay monthly fee for spectrum use. It's the same thing.

The thing is, Lightroom is not really a small fee under the subscription model. LR6 was released in April, 2015, so that is 30 months between upgrades. That is $300 spent without any major upgrade under the CC model. A full perpetual license of LR used to cost $150, and an upgrade to the latest version if you already owned a license was $80. Even if you upgraded every time Adobe upgraded to a new release, they have now almost quadrupled the cost for upgrading their software.

If Adobe had simply announced a new Lightroom 7 with an upgrade price of $300, how many people would be okay with that price increase? Well, that is the price increase, but Adobe is just disguising it for all the people who are unable to figure a 20% tip on a restaurant check in their head.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by jc1350.

Oct 23, 2017 15:44 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #39

Don't forget - whether you use it or not, the CC sub includes Photoshop, so how much would that perpetual license for both Lightroom and Photoshop cost?

--
John

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,839 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 23, 2017 15:46 |  #40

Scoobert wrote in post #18477143 (external link)
Thank you Kirk, I really appreciate your in depth answer.

You're welcome!

kirk

Kirk
---

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Oct 23, 2017 15:50 |  #41

jc1350 wrote in post #18479231 (external link)
Don't forget - whether you use it or not, the CC sub includes Photoshop, so how much would that perpetual license for both Lightroom and Photoshop cost?

There are many of us who do not use Photoshop, so forcing us to pay for it anyway is ridiculous.

I had a cartoon hanging in my office for many years, which depicted a goldfish in a bowl, an aardvark, a customer, and a pet shop salesman. The caption read "If you buy the fish, I'll throw in the aardvark".

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,304 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 23, 2017 15:52 |  #42

Only valuable if you want/need PS. I'm in that situation but the other way round. I still use PS6 and Adobe/friends try to get me to sign up for CC. The argument most used is "but you get LR as well." I've had LR and decided years ago that it's not for me so might as well have said, "but you get a copy of a Turkish thesaurus along with PS".

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 23, 2017 16:00 |  #43

This is only a short term blip on adobes financials, though. Netflix went thru this too when they separated the DVD mailing from the monthly streaming effectively doubling their fees. Years later and they have more than overcome the customer backlash. Unfortunately this is the way everything is headed which means your discretionary funds dwindle a bit more each year.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Scottboarding
623 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Joined May 2016

Oct 23, 2017 23:10 |  #44

Dxo Optics Pro 11 essencials edition is free until November 11th: http://www.dxo.com/us/​practicalphotography (external link)

I downloaded it and played around with it for a couple minutes and it's pretty nice! Seems far faster than Lightroom, very far. It's free so it's worth downloading just to try!

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

Daggah
111 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 24, 2017 03:52 |  #45

Affinity Photo as a photoshop alternative is only $50.

Nikon D850/FE and Fuji X-T2
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

81,868 views & 130 likes for this thread
So if we are done with LR, whats our choices?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.