Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DxO buys Nik software

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 25, 2017 09:24 |  #1

https://www.dpreview.c​om …offer-it-for-free-for-now (external link)

I'm sure it will be pay-for soon, so update frequently.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links
Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,644 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 25, 2017 09:33 |  #2

I already own a license because I bought it in a sale before it went free. No idea if that means I'll get updates or if they'll roll it in to a different product.

Don't use it a ton, but nice to see it will continue to be updated.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,719 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 25, 2017 10:26 |  #3

The U-Point auto-masking technology has been incorporated into DxO's newest version of Optics Pro, now called "PhotoLab." One of PhotoLab's improvements over Optics Pro v11 is local corrections and the U-Point approach is used to apply local corrections, along with the standard brush, gradient, and auto-mask.

kirk

Kirk
---

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,823 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 25, 2017 10:41 |  #4

Colorblinded wrote in post #18480604 (external link)
I already own a license because I bought it in a sale before it went free. No idea if that means I'll get updates or if they'll roll it in to a different product.

Don't use it a ton, but nice to see it will continue to be updated.

Yeah, I purchased mine for $149... or was it $139?... I don't remember, truth be told. Nik has been part of my post processing from then on. I was disappointed it went free because that meant Google wasn't going to be putting any resources into R&D.

I don't know what will happen for those of us who purchased it outright.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 25, 2017 15:18 |  #5

They will continue to offer it for free for a while to collect owner info.

But that's ok. At least it's still alive... apparently won't die from neglect now.

Topaz... Nik... and others porting their previous Mac only stuff to Windows.

What with their stupid PR moves lately, hopefully this will finally put ON1 out of their misery.

Thanks for the news. Didn't know about this.

Website (external link) |

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,599 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 25, 2017 16:46 |  #6

Sounds really promising, thanks!

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 25, 2017 21:08 |  #7

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18480677 (external link)
I don't know what will happen for those of us who purchased it outright.

According to the article (link) posted above, it will remain free. Dx0 will develop a new version named Nik Collection 2018 Edition which will be released mid-2018.

It is unknown if paid purchasers of the Nik suite will be offered an upgrade discount, or if those who downloaded Nik in its free state will be offered a discount.

If anybody gets feedback from Dx0 on this, please post it here.

Website (external link) |

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,796 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 26, 2017 08:14 |  #8

I wonder if we ever see an end-to-end solution from DxO that starts with importing from cards into a DAM, raw processing, special effects, printing, social media outputs, and archiving?

alex66
241 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 26, 2017 15:45 |  #9

Great, they made my go to preprinting plug in; Sharpener Pro? It always gave a perfect amount of sharpness on them. I don't mind paying for it if they go paid mode, though would rather just buy that one than a whole set I never used.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,118 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Oct 28, 2017 11:13 |  #10

This is great news. The NIK collection will not rot on the vine. The "Control Point" approach to local adjustments is very useful and IMO local adjustments is the only thing that has been lacking in DXO Optics Pro. I personally have no use for a DAM.

Mark

sponsored links

5,092 views & 3 likes for this thread
DxO buys Nik software
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.