Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 22:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have a digital camera...therefore I am a wedding photographer.

Jethr0
918 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 25, 2017 12:29 |  #16

Echoing what most have said.
Just stay out of it. Not worth it.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,204 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 25, 2017 12:44 |  #17

Let me know the next time you go to buy furniture, clothes, a car, get a haircut, etc, etc. I'll be happy to come by unsolicited; question your choice of product and vendor, and give all parties involved a lecture in quality, workmanship, aesthetics, attention to detail, etc.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 25, 2017 14:25 |  #18

Whether your wanting to be involved is for positive reasons, or negative reasons, it really doesn't matter, it's family, just don't get involved.......

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Pigpen101
236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 25, 2017 15:20 as a reply to  @ welshwizard1971's post |  #19

Wow! A little harsh towards Point-n-shoot-n??? I agree, stay out of it. However, his story is a little different scenario then some comparisons made here. It had happened to me recently when a 21 year old co-worker asked my suggestion(s) for a camera kit as a HS graduation gift for his fiancé. Less then a month later she was doing senior "portraits" for $50. This can get frustrating, especially if you are photographer in the area & if they are taking business from you.

As photographers, we've all had someone ask our advice on what gear to purchase. I used to ask 2 question: What are you going to shoot (fam, sports, etc..)? What is you budget? I still ask those questions, but now I first ask "Are you planning on only shooting auto, or do you want to actually "learn" about the camera"? The answer to that might then make me steer them away from a kit lens.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Oct 25, 2017 15:28 |  #20

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18480961 (external link)
Wow! A little harsh towards Point-n-shoot-n??? I agree, stay out of it. However, his story is a little different scenario then some comparisons made here. It had happened to me recently when a 21 year old co-worker asked my suggestion(s) for a camera kit as a HS graduation gift for his fiancé. Less then a month later she was doing senior "portraits" for $50. This can get frustrating, especially if you are photographer in the area & if they are taking business from you.

As photographers, we've all had someone ask our advice on what gear to purchase. I used to ask 2 question: What are you going to shoot (fam, sports, etc..)? What is you budget? I still ask those questions, but now I first ask "Are you planning on only shooting auto, or do you want to actually "learn" about the camera"? The answer to that might then make me steer them away from a kit lens.

It's not that Point-n-shoot-n is somehow at fault. Nobody is saying that. It's simply that he's on a hiding to nothing if he tries to intervene. He should let this be, as his wife advises.

Either the novice know-nothing wedding shooter will begin to learn and improve through experience or everything will go embarrassingly pear-shaped at some point ... after which, she will either start to work on improving or maybe lose interest and quit. Either way, it could be worse, and it likely will be (for him) if he gets involved.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Pigpen101
236 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 25, 2017 15:32 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #21

I agree with all the advice to stay out of it, just thought it might have been a little too harsh is all.

texkam
1,204 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 25, 2017 16:07 |  #22

It had happened to me recently when a 21 year old co-worker asked my suggestion(s) for a camera kit as a HS graduation gift for his fiancé. Less then a month later she was doing senior "portraits" for $50.

If you're worried about the $50 shooters then you need to reevaluate your business. If a potential client isn't sophisticated and discerning enough to appreciate the difference between what a budget shooter offers verses me then there is no way I can get, or want the gig.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,690 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 25, 2017 18:04 |  #23

texkam wrote in post #18481008 (external link)
If you're worried about the $50 shooters then you need to reevaluate your business.

True, but I didn't get that Pigpen was worried or that he regarded this shooter as a competitor.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pigpen101
236 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 25, 2017 18:22 |  #24

[QUOTE=texkam;18481008​]If you're worried about the $50 shooters then you need to reevaluate your business. If a potential client isn't sophisticated and discerning enough to appreciate the difference between what a budget shooter offers verses me then there is no way I can get, or want the gig.

OhLook beat me to it. I propose your reading comprehension might need reevaluated. I've never taken a "senior portrait" in my life. It was merely an example. I'm very confident in my work.

I managed a pizza shop while in college. One day, a chain pizza shop opened up literally next door. It closed it's doors 18 months later. The shop I worked for survived even though they saw the business drop 50% in the first 12 months. That meant people losing their jobs. Photography already doesn't get the respect it should, an 18 year old starting a business after 6 weeks of owning a camera doesn't help. Yes, those clients will eventually go back to photographers that know what they are doing, just how many can weather the storm until then?

Yet another warm, welcoming post on this thread. No wonder the thread starter has chimed back in.

Point-n-shoot-n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 25, 2017 21:59 |  #25

I can see where the advise to keep out of it might be the best course of action as hard as it is to do. The kids nowadays don't seem to want to put in the effort to learn anything.
I guess I am from the old school where you study and practice to improve. My opinion is that having a camera doesn't make you a photographer any more than having a scalpel makes you a surgeon. My concern for her situation is more to protect her from possible negative repercussions.
My simple question as to what aperture she was shooting at was just to see if she was indeed as uninformed as I suspected. I guess I will stay out of it and let the chips fall where they may. I will always offer advice and knowledge if she asks for it but will no longer do it if unsolicited. Thanks for the input guys and gals!

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

Point-n-shoot-n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 25, 2017 22:05 as a reply to  @ Pigpen101's post |  #26

I haven't been able to check in on the thread since I have been working out of town. I do appreciate all the replies and will take all the advise offered into consideration. I have thick skin so negative comments don't upset me much at all.

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

texkam
1,204 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 25, 2017 23:21 |  #27

The kids nowadays don't seem to want to put in the effort to learn anything.

REALLY!?!
So now you're going to paint with a broad brush and make an ageist comment!?! Wow! There are so many hard-working young people out there that don't deserve to hear this tired, age-old comment being trotted out once again. What about older folks that are not willing to put in the effort to stay current or willing to learn new things? Ugh, smh.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,238 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Oct 26, 2017 08:02 |  #28

Point-n-shoot-n wrote in post #18481211 (external link)
The kids nowadays don't seem to want to put in the effort to learn anything.

That comment can apply to any age. If you're not seeing any dedicated young folks, you're looking in the wrong places. I recommend you check out some volunteer-active events for non-profit organizations. You'll see scores of socially and civically engaged young folks.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 26, 2017 10:32 |  #29

Ironically, the most '5 minute and I'm a professional' sham operators I've seen recently have all been early retirees playing at it for pin money, and that's photography, fly fishing guides etc. And if it goes wrong, they don't care, they've got their pension, so no practice, no training, no quality kit, no qualifications, no insurance, no real commitment to doing a proper job etc etc.

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,690 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 26, 2017 11:29 |  #30

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18481508 (external link)
Ironically, the most '5 minute and I'm a professional' sham operators I've seen recently have all been early retirees. . . . And if it goes wrong, they don't care

Maybe they don't know. It's time to mention the Dunning-Kruger effect (external link): people who lack competence at something also lack competence at evaluating how poorly they're doing at it.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

14,974 views & 30 likes for this thread
I have a digital camera...therefore I am a wedding photographer.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.